Repost- How many words would a five minute speech be (1 Viewer)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Put my last one in the wrong thread so i deleted and may this one

How many words do you say in a 5 minute speech.

I understand that it is different with everyone but I would like to know a rough estimate because it will help me plan my speech out.​

b3kh1t

HSC
Put my last one in the wrong thread so i deleted and may this one

How many words do you say in a 5 minute speech.

I understand that it is different with everyone but I would like to know a rough estimate because it will help me plan my speech out.​
I said 1000 words in just over 5 mins so aim for around that

D94

HSC
N/A
For the English speech we had to do earlier in Term 3, the general comments were that people were speaking too fast, and rather, just reading, not actually presenting a speech. Generally, these were 950+ word speeches, so I'd say around 800-900 would be a suitable range. Remember that a speech is a presentation (so emphasis on some words are needed, hand gestures, shifts in tone etc.), not how many words you can spit out in 5 minutes.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Oh, it is a legal speech by the way. This means I will have a slideshow but that shouldn't really make a difference

b3kh1t

HSC
Oh, it is a legal speech by the way. This means I will have a slideshow but that shouldn't really make a difference
Yeh I had read slow and steady and got just under 1000 wrds, with a powerpoint in the background, so it depends how you speak, and speak fast but understandable. Btw for my legal speech, well it was a 20 min presentation so your lucky hahaha

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Yeh I had read slow and steady and got just under 1000 wrds, with a powerpoint in the background, so it depends how you speak, and speak fast but understandable. Btw for my legal speech, well it was a 20 min presentation so your lucky hahaha
Hahaha, i wish it was longer, I managed a 2hr economics speech this year.

I like have a good length of time to do a speech

b3kh1t

HSC
Hahaha, i wish it was longer, I managed a 2hr economics speech this year.

I like have a good length of time to do a speech
2 hrs !!!!! LOL why the hel would a teacher give something that long and where did the teacher find the time to listen to everyones

powlmao

Banned
HSC
2 hrs !!!!! LOL why the hel would a teacher give something that long and where did the teacher find the time to listen to everyones
It was meant to be around 10 minutes but she said it doesn't really matter. I ended up taking that as a challenge

1981Grant

HSC
We had 5 minute speeches for trials, most people's were approximately 800-1000.

I find the easiest way to do it is to time yourself reading an article from a newspaper aloud. Then count how many words you spoke and then just add another 100 because under pressure you'll speak faster.

b3kh1t

HSC
It was meant to be around 10 minutes but she said it doesn't really matter. I ended up taking that as a challenge
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA how did you keep everyone seated for 2 hrs and what did your teacher say?? lol I think my teacher would have strangled me if I did that

powlmao

Banned
HSC
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA how did you keep everyone seated for 2 hrs and what did your teacher say?? lol I think my teacher would have strangled me if I did that
lol she was fairly shocked i spoke for 2hrs, she did deduct a mark because it was so long, but i ended up with the top mark

b3kh1t

HSC
lol she was fairly shocked i spoke for 2hrs, she did deduct a mark because it was so long, but i ended up with the top mark
Hahahahahahahahahahaha did you just copy the entire textbook onto your palm cards and read :p and to think my english teacher deducted a mark because i went 8 seconds over lol and it was his fault I went over as well

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hahahahahahahahahahaha did you just copy the entire textbook onto your palm cards and read :p and to think my english teacher deducted a mark because i went 8 seconds over lol and it was his fault I went over as well
No, it was all my own work. It was on BHP Billiton and you were meant to talk about BHP's finances, labour market, structure and history.

b3kh1t

HSC
No, it was all my own work. It was on BHP Billiton and you were meant to talk about BHP's finances, labour market, structure and history.
Oh aiight, still 2 hrs is quite a long time and you can talk about a lot but nice work haha and isn't that economics not legal

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
I'd guess around 900-1000 words as well. From what I've done at debating I think that if you speak at a decent pace and have average sized writing you should be able to write 12 palm cards for a 5 minute speech.

yours

HSC
I did 620 words for a 4 minutes speech so 800 for 5 minutes? But you said it's for legal or something so I don't know what the emphasis is on there, I did this for english and the emphasis there certainly wasn't on word count (the worst people said the most e.g. 1000 words = 12/20)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)