Software Marathon 2011 (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Hey students doing SDD, lets quickly go through some concepts before the test. Got a question? Ask it and hopefully I or others on this forum will be able to answer it.

I'll start. Do you think we'll need to write an algorithm for rearranging strings (Insert, extract, delete) or will they give us the algorithm and we have to identify errors and state what certain lines do?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The trend in the mockup appears to be more about debugging or explaining algorithms rather than writing them.

What would you classify a program that creates an installation package such as InstallShield and explain your decision.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
The trend in the mockup appears to be more about debugging or explaining algorithms rather than writing them.

What would you classify a program that creates an installation package such as InstallShield and explain your decision.
Where's the mock up? InstallShield would be similar to a wizard, but guides the user to install the product.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Where's the mock up? InstallShield would be similar to a wizard, but guides the user to install the product.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a.../software-design-development-mock-up-2011.pdf

Yeah an installation program itself is like a wizard but i meant CASE vs COTS. It was a past paper (i think independant maybe?) question. The weird thing about it is Installshield generates the installation program and allows scripting of it and stuff which made me put down COTS but the answer was CASE since it helps with the software development process. Im hoping there aren't stupid mc questions like that in the hsc where the more logical option is wrong, most the marks i lose in exams are to stuff like that = S.

This is a marathon btw = P you are meant to give me questions too haha. Compare and contrast between public domain and open source software.

Edit: Another question, should i make my own notes up now or just use dled ones and excel?

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a.../software-design-development-mock-up-2011.pdf

Yeah an installation program itself is like a wizard but i meant CASE vs COTS. It was a past paper (i think independant maybe?) question. The weird thing about it is Installshield generates the installation program and allows scripting of it and stuff which made me put down COTS but the answer was CASE since it helps with the software development process. Im hoping there aren't stupid mc questions like that in the hsc where the more logical option is wrong, most the marks i lose in exams are to stuff like that = S.

This is a marathon btw = P you are meant to give me questions too haha. Compare and contrast between public domain and open source software.

Edit: Another question, should i make my own notes up now or just use dled ones and excel?
-Are there solutions for the 2011 mock up?

-Yeah I was thinking CASE tool as it does help the developer implement and test the solution on a computer. COTS is more like MS Office packages for the end user. Ehh Independent exams are not the best exams to practice on. Some questions are just weird (would never be tested in HSC) and not directly from the syllabus. HSC papers are the best to practice on

-"Compare and contrast between public domain and open source software." Public domain software can be edited and distributed freely to other people. It has NO copyright restrictions as it has either expired or the author has removed copyright from the product. It can be reverse engineered and decompiled. Open source software is the same thing as public domain. Example: Linux and Mozilla Firefox

-lol there's no way you would have time to make your own notes for the course, unless you summarise to the max (but then it still ain't worth it, you'll cut corners as the syllabus may seem repetitive at times, but it is actually going into further details) I would recommend downloading some notes ASAP and reading over them.

-The stages of the SDC (structured approach) are
1.Define
2.Plan
3.Build
4.Check
5.Modify

-PS: Curious as to what option topics is everyone doing? I'm doing Evolution of programming languages.

-Here's your questions, Enjoy ;) (an assortment of questions from past HSC questions)
Q1:
(LOL at the URL :/)

Q2:

Q3:

Q4:

Q5:

Q6:

Q7:

Q8:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
-Are there solutions for the 2011 mock up?

Ehh Independent exams are not the best exams to practice on. Some questions are just weird (would never be tested in HSC) and not directly from the syllabus. HSC papers are the best to practice on

Open source software is the same thing as public domain. Example: Linux and Mozilla Firefox
I think there is, idk where they are. I agree 100% about the independant exams haha, ive said exactly that to friends. BTW there is a slight difference between open source and public domain, open source can be released under a certain license (often GPL) which means that any derivatives of the software must be released and comply with that particular license. Public domain is 100% free to do anything with.

My answers, desk checks and eliminating MC answers isnt easy without pen/paper haha so i apologise if i epic fail any of these:
1.A
2.D,B
3.WOW almost got tricked haha C, A
4.B
5.A
6.B (in hsc, the variables in a sub procedure are local and never global right?)
7.A
8.A

Now for next persons question: (you again haha?)
Define copyright

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
My answers, desk checks and eliminating MC answers isnt easy without pen/paper haha so i apologise if i epic fail any of these:
1.A
2.D,B
3.WOW almost got tricked haha C, A
4.B
5.A
6.B (in hsc, the variables in a sub procedure are local and never global right?)
7.A
8.A

Now for next persons question: (you again haha?)
Define copyright
Solutions

1.C
2. C, B
3. C
4. B
5. A
6. B
7. A
8. A

Copyright: The ability for the author / software developer to have the right to protect their intellectual property from theft of ideas by other people, also know as plagiarism.

Question: Write out the Insertion Sort Algorithm.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Solutions

1.C
2. C, B
3. C
4. B
5. A
6. B
7. A
8. A

Copyright: The ability for the author / software developer to have the right to protect their intellectual property from theft of ideas by other people, also know as plagiarism.

Question: Write out the Insertion Sort Algorithm.
Haha i swear for question 1 I was supposed to write down C idk why i typed A (that was first one i rules out xD). No excuses for 2 part 1 haha - i read "Input" as "Read" for some reason lol but would have done that in the exam too. What was the second solution in 3 btw?

I'll post up an insertion sort tomorrow morning, its getting late and in exams i usually make up my own sort algorithms but im going to memorise efficient ones this time (which ill write tomorrow).

BTW just curious in exams do you usually zero base your algorithms or start at 1? I had a student teacher who didn't like me using using 0. Im doing the other as well (software developers view on hardware)

Another question: ______ is the type of software license that allows users to freely copy and distribute the program while copyright is still held by the creators. (my teacher put this question up and i dont exactly agree with his answer)

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Haha i swear for question 1 I was supposed to write down C idk why i typed A (that was first one i rules out xD). No excuses for 3 part 1 haha - i read "Input" as "Read" for some reason lol but would have done that in the exam too. What was the second solution in 3 btw?

I'll post up an insertion sort tomorrow morning, its getting late and in exams i usually make up my own sort algorithms but im going to memorise efficient ones this time (which ill write tomorrow).

BTW just curious in exams do you usually zero base your algorithms or start at 1? I had a student teacher who didn't like me using using 0. Im doing the other as well (software developers view on hardware)
0 all the time ;) It prevents one off errors. Look it up on wikipedia.

This is my Desk Check attempt #1 to prove the logic of this algorithm from the excel book, But I do not know what happens to the 39 !!!? does it just get overridden? I know no swap process is used in insertion, but my other text book from Cambridge by Carole Wilson uses a swap process and I don't like her algorithms.

I need urgent help on this ASAP thanks.

Reikira

HSC
I would contribute, but its too late and my brains dead lol.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
0 all the time ;) It prevents one off errors. Look it up on wikipedia.

This is my Desk Check attempt #1 to prove the logic of this algorithm from the excel book, But I do not know what happens to the 39 !!!? does it just get overridden? I know no swap process is used in insertion, but my other text book from Cambridge by Carole Wilson uses a swap process and I don't like her algorithms.

I need urgent help on this ASAP thanks.

HHHHHHHHHHNNNGGGGGGG, EDIT: Seems like due to my tiredness I have forgotten 1 line of code, but I still do not get it. I will repost a new version tomorrow.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ill look tomorrow as well haha but i just made an insertion sort based off something on wikipedia (ok i bassically just scabbed it and changed a little bit haha) I'll desk check it tomorrow, i think theres a slight problem in it.

Code:
Begin InsertionSort(array)
    for (i = 1) to LengthOfArray-1 do //assuming zero based array
    Begin
        j = i - 1
        complete = false

repeat
            if array[j] > array[i] then
	    	Begin
                	array[j+1] = array[j]
			J = j - 1
                	if j < 0 then
                   		complete = true
            	End
            else
                complete = true
        until complete=true

array[j + 1] = array[i]
    End
End InsertionSort
OH and: ______ is the type of software license that allows users to freely copy and distribute the program while copyright is still held by the creators. (my teacher put this question up and i dont exactly agree with his answer)

BTW lol i reccomend against using wordy pseudocode like in the excel textbook, doesnt seem to have all the logic there if you know what im talking about haha.

Last edited:

RawrJohnT

HSC
What's the typical cut-off for band 5 and 6 for software?
Also, I swear I ALWAYS see you three guys on here haha

I'm guessing maybe ~83 for band 6, and ~68 for band 5?
Or am I terribly off...

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Oh!..a Software marathon?! Can Spiral join?
Sure! The more people the better haha.

What's the typical cut-off for band 5 and 6 for software?
Also, I swear I ALWAYS see you three guys on here haha

I'm guessing maybe ~83 for band 6, and ~68 for band 5?
Or am I terribly off...
Haha maybe. Based on previous years those cutoffs seems about right, but i'd say band 5 cutoff would be a little lower. The test is a different format this year so i'd say they will be completely different.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Sure! The more people the better haha.

Haha maybe. Based on previous years those cutoffs seems about right, but i'd say band 5 cutoff would be a little lower. The test is a different format this year so i'd say they will be completely different.
Different format? Do you mean like section II is split up into 9 questions Instead of 3?

Is this right? Am I on the right track?

So apparently it still is using the "Swap" Process, but not as a subprogram. It declares NextItem as the temp storage location. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Ill look tomorrow as well haha but i just made an insertion sort based off something on wikipedia (ok i bassically just scabbed it and changed a little bit haha) I'll desk check it tomorrow, i think theres a slight problem in it.

Code:
Begin InsertionSort(array)
    for (i = 1) to LengthOfArray-1 do //assuming zero based array
    Begin
        j = i - 1
        complete = false

repeat
            if array[j] > array[i] then
	    	Begin
                	array[j+1] = array[j]
			J = j - 1
                	if j < 0 then
                   		complete = true
            	End
            else
                complete = true
        until complete=true

array[j + 1] = array[i]
    End
End InsertionSort
OH and: ______ is the type of software license that allows users to freely copy and distribute the program while copyright is still held by the creators. (my teacher put this question up and i dont exactly agree with his answer)

BTW lol i reccomend against using wordy pseudocode like in the excel textbook, doesnt seem to have all the logic there if you know what im talking about haha.
The excel book has basically taken the algorithms the Board of Studies provided in their pdf "Methods of Algorithm Description" So I don't see why it wouldn't fully display the logic.

and for your qs, the ans is FREEWARE

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Different format? Do you mean like section II is split up into 9 questions Instead of 3?

Is this right? Am I on the right track?

So apparently it still is using the "Swap" Process, nut not as a subprogram. It declares NextItem as the temp storage location. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yeah that looks right, it does use the "swap" process but its within the loop rather than being in a function. NextItem does work as a temp storage.

Yeah the answer is freeware, the thing distinguishing it from shareware is how it mentions freely and not a trial.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah that looks right, it does use the "swap" process but its within the loop rather than being in a function. NextItem does work as a temp storage.

Yeah the answer is freeware, the thing distinguishing it from shareware is how it mentions freely and not a trial.
Yep, and Shareware is paid for after trial period.

Do need to know those string insert, extract and delete algorithms in depth?

Oh yeah and do the sort algorithms run one last time after all elements are sorted to ensure that the array is sorted?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yep, and Shareware is paid for after trial period.

Do need to know those string insert, extract and delete algorithms in depth?

Oh yeah and do the sort algorithms run one last time after all elements are sorted to ensure that the array is sorted?
Everytime i've seen them in exams at school they usually provide a subprogram containing those algorithms. I'd say as long as you know the function of each of those algorithms and considering you will be given a main program to make a sub program for if anything, so you will probably be able to just come up with one from that.

Oh and that depends on which type of sort it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)