uni vs. private college? (1 Viewer)

meoww

HSC
Forget about how awesome you think your uni is, i need an un-bias opinion.

Fees are covered either way, and they're two different courses (the one i'm applying for at college is not offered in any uni that i can get to-actually from what i've seen theirs only two colleges in australia that offer the course, no unis)

uni-
i guess its more well known?
i'd have no idea what i was doing though, the subjects don't look as interesting
i haven't been accepted into anything, and i'm not sure if i'll get the marks to get in
my family is expecting me to go to uni though..

college-
they don't have exams (still assignments and that)
small classes (under 20 people)
they're reallyy helpful, they've already accepted me so i have a guarenteed place and they've helped me figure everything out about what and how i'd do things
i guess seeing as they're only a small college they're not as well known, and i've heard its hard to find a placement when needed

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Forget about how awesome you think your uni is, i need an un-bias opinion.

Fees are covered either way, and they're two different courses (the one i'm applying for at college is not offered in any uni that i can get to-actually from what i've seen theirs only two colleges in australia that offer the course, no unis)
What course are you looking at?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
What's the course?

uni-
i guess its more well known?
i'd have no idea what i was doing though, the subjects don't look as interesting
i haven't been accepted into anything, and i'm not sure if i'll get the marks to get in
my family is expecting me to go to uni though..
- Has a student life and a large community
- Electives

college-
they don't have exams (still assignments and that)
As much as I'm hating my life right now (exams in a week), I personally believe that if you can't sit down for three hours and write a decent exam, you haven't mastered the material. Certainly right now, the exams I'm stressing over the most are in the courses where I know I'm quite honestly not doing as well in.

small classes (under 20 people)
That can in some cases be a bad thing, but yes, it's certainly an advantage - I suppose they probably have a better staff/student ratio too.

they're reallyy helpful, they've already accepted me so i have a guarenteed place and they've helped me figure everything out about what and how i'd do things
i guess seeing as they're only a small college they're not as well known, and i've heard its hard to find a placement when needed
This can affect employment too.

meoww

HSC
either bachelor of social work at uni, or bachelor of applied social science(counseling) at college.

i still have to do essays and so on, so i don't see how it makes a difference sitting down for three hours and doing it in an exam which i'll never have to do again or do it at home.

im also interested to know why smaller class sizes would be a bad thing?

i've done as much research as i can, i've found quite a few people that are currently attending the college or have graduated, the graduates all seem to have found employment or gone on to what they intended to do, and the ones that are there seem to like it and the teachers/staff. the only bad things i've found is with placements as said earlier.

The only reason i'm undecided is i don't know if i'd rather be doing social work or counseling- i know they're similar, but obviously they're not exactally the same.

kfnmpah

HSC
tbh, i want to say uni for social work OR counselling.

Aside from lectures in first year, the classes should be relatively small. Tutorial sizes are restricted.

Uni is more well known, probably 'the norm' etc.

You'll probably find for some subjects you won't have exams. A few of my friends doing "arts degrees" don't have any exams.

my vote: uni, but do whatever you want to do.

meoww

HSC
Is there anyone that has actually been to a private college so I can hear both sides?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
either bachelor of social work at uni, or bachelor of applied social science(counseling) at college.
TBH, I dislike 'vocational' degrees in a lot of areas - although that said, I don't know exactly what they're like or how they compare to diploma and other TAFE-level programmes.

i still have to do essays and so on, so i don't see how it makes a difference sitting down for three hours and doing it in an exam which i'll never have to do again or do it at home.
I just feel that exams provide a fair assessment - you can get through essays simply by researching your one topic fairly well and grinding away for hours, yet still not truly understand the subject. I had a philosophy course last semester where I came out feeling that I didn't know anything outside my two chosen topics, and yet still managed a D.

im also interested to know why smaller class sizes would be a bad thing?
Not so much smaller class sizes, but when you're at a smaller institution, if you don't get along with someone or you have an issue with the way something is being done, you may not always have readily available redress. On the other hand, smaller institutions are a lot more responsive. I go to a mid-size uni (ANU) where I think I get the best of both.

i've done as much research as i can, i've found quite a few people that are currently attending the college or have graduated, the graduates all seem to have found employment or gone on to what they intended to do, and the ones that are there seem to like it and the teachers/staff. the only bad things i've found is with placements as said earlier.

The only reason i'm undecided is i don't know if i'd rather be doing social work or counseling- i know they're similar, but obviously they're not exactally the same.
I always prefer the more general option. I suppose I also believe that your education shouldn't be limited to your future line of work, or just one passion - obviously, that's got to be your main focus, but I think a bachelor's degree needs to be more than that. I suspect a lot of people don't agree with me these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)