Questions from a 2012 ANU hopeful... (1 Viewer)

snaz

HSC
I have applied for an Arts (Development Studies)/Science (Psychology) course at ANU and this would require me to move from Sydney to Canberra. I have a few questions...

1. I understand that you do 6 units/semester. Does this mean you do 12 units/semester for a double degree?

2. Moving interstate means that I will have to support myself financially. I have already checked (and applied just in case) for youth allowance and am not eligible. I am aware that after claiming 18 months of independance I may be eligible for some help from the gov't. In the mean time (i.e my first 18 months at ANU) how hard is it to find a job?

3. If I do not get my required ATAR (worst case senario), how hard would it be to transfer from a straight Arts degree to a Arts/Science degree?

Thanks in advance for all you help :)

Fake-Name

HSC
Hey, I cant really contribute...but I'm considering moving out from south west sydney to North ryde for uni next year. How exactly did you check to see if you are eligible for youth allowance?

Thanks.

snaz

HSC
Hey, I cant really contribute...but I'm considering moving out from south west sydney to North ryde for uni next year. How exactly did you check to see if you are eligible for youth allowance?

Thanks.
If you go onto the centrelink nsw website (via google), follow the link and you'll see the criteria. It's basically determined by your age and family's/your financial situation.
I actually went in and saw centrelink in person and they suggested that I apply even though I didn't fit all of the criteria. So I did apply, but I still didn't get it.

Best of luck for HSC and beyond :)

Link to website below:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/youth_allow.htm

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
the fact that you are denied financial assistance, from the uni and the government suggests your not poor. try asking your parents for financial assistance

snaz

HSC
the fact that you are denied financial assistance, from the uni and the government suggests your not poor. try asking your parents for financial assistance
Thanks for the contribution, but my parents are, for financial reasons, not able to. Large family, mortgage, and one stable income... no, not poor, but parents alone would not be able to provide (if help financially at all)...

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
Can't help with the other bits, but you do 24 units / semester, which is normally 4 x 6 unit courses, so 8 courses per year. A double degree just means you do an extra year, and have less electives, so you only do the core subjects for each degree, but you still do the same number of courses as everybody else.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Thanks for the contribution, but my parents are, for financial reasons, not able to. Large family, mortgage, and one stable income... no, not poor, but parents alone would not be able to provide (if help financially at all)...
i suggest you stay in sydney then

snaz

HSC
Can't help with the other bits, but you do 24 units / semester, which is normally 4 x 6 unit courses, so 8 courses per year. A double degree just means you do an extra year, and have less electives, so you only do the core subjects for each degree, but you still do the same number of courses as everybody else.

That makes sense. Thanks :)

yosemite sam

HSC
Finding a job isn't too hard, especially if you have a bit of retail or hospitality experience.

Getting youth allowance from Centrelink isn't as easy as just living out of home for 18 months though, I believe the criteria at the moment are that you have to work an average of 30 hours a week over 18 of the 24 months that follow your last HSC exam. So it's worth considering whether you'd be able to sustain that kind of work load, or you're better off working to survive and trying to negotiate some sort of contribution with your parents. Another option is to take a year off and work a lot (more than 30 hours) so that it would average out - that's what my brother is doing this year. This has the benefit of giving you some work experience and some savings to back you up when you move.

And you would be able to switch courses, as long as you have a reasonably high average grade for your subjects.

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
Coolies man me and my friend are planning to move from sydney for anu as well I'm planning on the B Business administration/
Science Psych and my friend is doing the B economics and maybe with arts we might even meet xD

snaz

HSC
Finding a job isn't too hard, especially if you have a bit of retail or hospitality experience.

Getting youth allowance from Centrelink isn't as easy as just living out of home for 18 months though, I believe the criteria at the moment are that you have to work an average of 30 hours a week over 18 of the 24 months that follow your last HSC exam. So it's worth considering whether you'd be able to sustain that kind of work load, or you're better off working to survive and trying to negotiate some sort of contribution with your parents. Another option is to take a year off and work a lot (more than 30 hours) so that it would average out - that's what my brother is doing this year. This has the benefit of giving you some work experience and some savings to back you up when you move.

And you would be able to switch courses, as long as you have a reasonably high average grade for your subjects.
Thanks. I'll keep that option in mind :)

snaz

HSC
Coolies man me and my friend are planning to move from sydney for anu as well I'm planning on the B Business administration/
Science Psych and my friend is doing the B economics and maybe with arts we might even meet xD
Great! Maybe we will bump into each other at some point :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)