Differentiation... (3 Viewers)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Nah umm but what i meant was. You could still use the actual f(x) graph to test it either way.

Either way we'll see what he means when he comes back.
Using f(x) is actually schematically plotting the graph in a sense..You can't determine f max and f min. It would take you ages...

nightweaver066

HSC
Maybe the cheap method is visualizing the second derivative (which is possible in this case and with linear functions) and noting whether it changes from positive to negative or vice versa (this is to determine minimum/maximum right?)

Or maybe just plotting the co-ordinates of the stationary points (don't know whether they're max/min), following the general shape of the curve (bottom left moving upwards to the right or top left moving downwards to the right, concave up or concave down) and realise whether they're maximum/minimum..

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Maybe the cheap method is visualizing the second derivative (which is possible in this case and with linear functions) and noting whether it changes from positive to negative or vice versa (this is to determine minimum/maximum right?)
This sounds more likely.

Wouldn't work with determining the type of inflexion point though would it? (if it's an inflexion pt)

nightweaver066

HSC
This sounds more likely.

Wouldn't work with determining the type of inflexion point though would it? (if it's an inflexion pt)
Does work. If the first derivative curve touches the x-axis, it's an inflexion point. Whether or not it is positive or negative allows you to determine which way it goes.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hahaha I go out for a 30 min walk, and when I come back, I see all these people fighting each other over this method.

Cheap method is secretz but if you're smart, you can probably figure it out yourself.

And none of you had it right lol.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hahaha I go out for a 30 min walk, and when I come back, I see all these people fighting each other over this method.

Cheap method is secretz but if you're smart, you can probably figure it out yourself.

And none of you had it right lol.
Fuck off tell us motherfucker!! (pretty please)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)