• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Biology Bridging Course (3 Viewers)

gettinbetter

HSC
What exactly do you learn in the course, also is it worth the $300~ and the time ??

gettinbetter

HSC
Shit.. didn't realise, do you know if it's exactly the same content in year 12 ? or is it a bit more in depth ?

HSC
Uni Grad
it probs just covers the things relevant to tertiary study, leaving out irrelevant stuff

i didn't do bio but it would be like the physics bridging course not covering the history behind thomas edison and westinghouse

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol.

Just learn bio concepts like cell division and shit.
Like, don't learn stuff about like random mangroves and shit. (I think that has to do with plant adaptations in maintaining a balance or blueprint of life (?))

Also, what do I need from HSC physics for phys1001? lol

gettinbetter

HSC
anyway, i'm teaching myself hsc bio in prep for uni

i'm going through these vids: http://www.khanacademy.org/#biology

and am going to pick up a textbook later
Thanks for the link to the videos for Biology. Quick question though, are all of the Biology videos essential for uni ? (I read the title, and it said 'high school course' as well)

Also, Riproot, what do you mean by 'cell division and shit' besides 'random mangroves and shit' ? I didn't do Biology in year 12, so I don't understand what you're trying to say.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the link to the videos for Biology. Quick question though, are all of the Biology videos essential for uni ? (I read the title, and it said 'high school course' as well)

Also, Riproot, what do you mean by 'cell division and shit' besides 'random mangroves and shit' ? I didn't do Biology in year 12, so I don't understand what you're trying to say.
A lot of the topics listed there are covered in first year bio so you wouldn't do any harm in going through all of them if you wanted to get ahead.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
like mitosis, meiosis, adaptations, etc.
I dunno.
Ask someone that does bio at uni.

gettinbetter

HSC
Ah okay, thanks for your input.
To anyone that does Biology, please post in this thread of the subjects/topics you've learnt in your first year.

Thanks in advance.

Ferox

HSC
I did human biology without doing the recommended bridging course. I did get a credit, but I can't say I ever really understood any of it. I think I passed with dumb luck. Hope that helps.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
I did the bridging course, but it didn't really help anyway (for BIOL1003 - human biology).
Go to lectures and read your textbook. They tend to teach you everything from scratch.

gettinbetter

HSC
Has anyone done BIOL1001 (Concepts in Biology) and/or BIOL1002 (Living Systems) ?
If yes, please contribute; tell me what's in the unit, and if the topics in the unit are easy to understand.

Thanks in advance.

Ferox

HSC
BIOL1001:
Topics covered in lectures and practicals include: introductory cell biology, with particular emphasis on how cells obtain and use energy; the diversity and biology of microorganisms; an introduction to molecular biology through the role of DNA in protein synthesis, including current developments in DNA technology; genetics or organisms; theories of evolution and phylogenetic analysis, and how they are used to interpret the origins of the diversity of modern organisms; and interactions between organisms in biological communities, with emphasis on Australian ecology

BIOL1002
Living Systems deals with the biology of organisms as individuals, within populations and as part of communities and ecosystems. A broad range of taxa are covered,, from bacteria to large plants and animalss, and emphasises is placed upon understanding the ways in which they can live in a range of habitats. Behaviour is discussed as a key process linking organismal-level processes to population and community dynamics. . The importance of energy in living systems, and how elements are used and recycled in biological communities, are introduced as the basis of ecosystems. The unit of study includes lectures and laboratory classes on the physiology and behaviour of animals and plants, the ways in which organisms control and integrate their activities and the processes controlling dynamics of populations and community. These themes are revisited within applied contexts to discuss issues such as management and conservation

They're first year biology subjects. Go to lectures and tutes and read the textbook and you'll be fine.

gettinbetter

HSC
Thanks Ferox.
Out of curiousity, is BIOL1001 (Concepts in Biology) easier/harder than BIOL1003 (Human Biology)?

HSC
Lol.

Just learn bio concepts like cell division and shit.
Like, don't learn stuff about like random mangroves and shit. (I think that has to do with plant adaptations in maintaining a balance or blueprint of life (?))

Also, what do I need from HSC physics for phys1001? lol
HOW DO I LEARN BIO FOR HSC GIVE ME FULL SCHEDULE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)