• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Equilibrium and Volume? (2 Viewers)

Lemiixem

HSC
Hey Guys,
I was reading through "Students Guide to HSC Chemistry" when I came across this volume explanation that really confused me.
Under dot point 2.2.4 'Identify factors which can affect the equilibrium in a reversible reaction.'
This is taken directly from"Students Guide to HSC Chemistry":

Volume
Any change in volume in a gaseous equilibrium is simply a change in pressure. As such, treat increases in volume as decreases in pressure, as there are more moles of gas in the fixed space, and treat decreases in volume as increases in pressure.

What I don't understand is how an increase in volume is a decrease in pressure? Shouldn't it be the other way around? An increase in volume is a decrease in pressure?

nightweaver066

HSC
An increase in volume essentially means creating more space in that system.

By creating more space, you alleviate the pressure of the gases in the system (decreasing the pressure).

clementc

Awesome Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I like to think of pressure as kind of being how packed and crowded something is and how much people get pressed against the walls.

So if you think of a room with 100 people. If we enlarged the room into something like a auditorium, would the room seem more packed or less packed? Would there be fewer/more people squished against the walls?
Similarly, think of if we herded these people into a tiny cupboard. Would this decrease in volume cause more or less crowding? Would there be more or less people squished into the wall? >=0

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
What I don't understand is how an increase in volume is a decrease in pressure? Shouldn't it be the other way around? An increase in volume is a decrease in pressure?
Pressure: how many particles you have per volume.
Volume: how much space you have.

For the sake of demonstration:
Pressure=Particles/Volume

.`. if you increase volume then the pressure will decrease.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)