Am i allowed to pick advanced english or standard english or do they offer it to u? (1 Viewer)

iamdumdum

HSC
As the title says and i am in year 10 currently and i am worried that i can not do advanced english as i did not do too good in my recent exam

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Am i allowed to pick advanced english or standard english or do they offer it to

Your school may make a recommendatino but technically they can't actually stop you doing any course you want to do.

However you also have to remember that their are maximum class sizes so if so they have a maximum size of 25 and you come 51st then they would be able to stop you on the grounds that the classes are full and you didn't make it.

iamdumdum

HSC
Re: Am i allowed to pick advanced english or standard english or do they offer it to

do they look at ur year 9 report or ur half yearly yr 10 report when deciding if you can do advanced english

delian

HSC
N/A

do they look at ur year 9 report or ur half yearly yr 10 report when deciding if you can do advanced english
Probably not

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Depends on the school. Some schools only consider final results in Year 10 but at other schools and at other times they may consider earlier work.

madharris

HSC
N/A

Don't worry, just because you did bad in one exam doesn't mean that they will force you to do standard english (not that there's anything wrong with it)

Almost every school I know was allowed to choose (just like you can choose all of your subjects). I doubt most schools even check results, when you sign up for standard or advanced.

SanjoyM

HSC

You can still attain a place in Advanced English:) Just try your hardest!

However, some schools do have a pre-requisites/cut off marks for admission into a specific course. Example: In my school, in order to do Advanced, you would have to attain a mark of 85+ in halfyearly and yearly and 90+ for School certificate.

So, relax! You have a lot of time to improve and attain a placement in Advanced English :) Okay? :)

zombies

HSC

Don't worry~! Talk to a teacher at school if it really concerns you, but I'm sure that things will work out :) Just stay on top of your work for the rest of the year, and just do the best you can.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad

If you go to my school, you're screwed...

Girls

HSC

You can still attain a place in Advanced English:) Just try your hardest!

However, some schools do have a pre-requisites/cut off marks for admission into a specific course. Example: In my school, in order to do Advanced, you would have to attain a mark of 85+ in halfyearly and yearly and 90+ for School certificate.

So, relax! You have a lot of time to improve and attain a placement in Advanced English :) Okay? :)
Wow, I find that really limiting and kind of unfair. The school is only really being detrimental to itself, as I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of advanced who got band 4's and 5's in their SC. For example, I just scraped into the band 6 bracket with a 90, but I had a bad day and came in the top 3 for most assessments throughout the year. To say that someone who gets an 89 in the SC can't get a band 6 in the HSC is almost crazy.

iamdumdum

HSC

BUT BUT BUT my school MARKS really harshly in english, last year i got a yearly of 70% grade:B and i still for rank 40 out of 240...
still possible?

avhead

no-hope fighter pilot l0l
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
HSC

Wow, I find that really limiting and kind of unfair. The school is only really being detrimental to itself, as I'm sure there are plenty of people capable of advanced who got band 4's and 5's in their SC. For example, I just scraped into the band 6 bracket with a 90, but I had a bad day and came in the top 3 for most assessments throughout the year. To say that someone who gets an 89 in the SC can't get a band 6 in the HSC is almost crazy.
Reppin the 89 -.- If I wasn't allowed into Advanced I would be pretty annoyed, especially as School Cert means squat.

lilly luta

HSC

You can choose Advanced for year 11 or a short period of time to see how it is and drop to Standard later :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Lawl what? I got 89 in my SC for English, and it's my best HSC subject.

zombies

HSC

Lawl what? I got 89 in my SC for English, and it's my best HSC subject.
Yeah I defs don't think SC marks are an indicator of what you're going to get in the HSC

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I got 83 in SC Englis and I'm doing Extension 1 Engrish. Come da fuq at me Engrish :)

zombies

HSC

^ Haha, I got 94 and I'm doing advanced.. I HATE english

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad

I got 96

Lina3

HSC

I got 83% for my yearly and 94% in my SC...and I was still allowed to Extension English even though I never got a teacher to approve it LOL...d/w if you are non-selective they should be pretty chill about it

HSC

...d/w if you are non-selective they should be pretty chill about it
Haha selective schools are even more chill, English Advanced (or even EX1 in year 11) is compulsory, no matter how low your english marks are in year 10 or SC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)