Starting in semester 2 ... will I fall back? (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hey Guys,

I am to start an engineering at UNSW in semester 2 (July) but does this mean that I won't learn the basics like I would if I started in semester 1? Will I be doing the same thing as people who started in semester 1 or will it be different?

Thank You.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uni is a very different thing to high school. You'll be doing subjects. As long as you've done the prerequisites for a subject, you're pretty much on a level playing field with everyone else.

Like for example, I'm in second year and I'm taking a first-year English course this semester. I have two semesters of uni under my belt, but everyone in the course met the prerequisites to enrol (i.e. pretty much none) - so I'm on a level playing field with all of them, technically.

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
you will be doing the same subjects that first year student are doing now in the first semester.
UNSW offers first semester subjects in semester 2,particularly for first year subjects.
I know that with electrical engineering at UNSW you can finish your degree in 3.5 years if you start from semester 2,with condition that you won't fail even a single subject and you will be doing summer courses twice,first year and second year.

Just remember that don't do ENGG1000 in the semester 2 because they only offer limited choice for your project. In fact they only offer 1 project for all students. In semester 1 you will get like 10-12 different choices.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Do MATH1131 in second semester (your first semester). THEN (don't fail it) do MATH1231 over the Summer semester. The reason for this is that a lot of second year courses (offered in S1 2012) have MATH1231 as a prerequisite.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You will have to do the same courses as people that started in S1 did (in their first semester or similar).

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
oen of my mates in my program started semester 2

not sure if its same for all unis, but he did semester 2 Year 1, then next year sem 1 Y1, sem 2 Y2, then next year sem 1 Y2, Sem 2 Y3 and so on

biggest pain in the arse

You will end up doing the same subjects though, so it ultimately won't matter.

Perosnally though I'd just get a job for 6 months

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
oen of my mates in my program started semester 2

not sure if its same for all unis, but he did semester 2 Year 1, then next year sem 1 Y1, sem 2 Y2, then next year sem 1 Y2, Sem 2 Y3 and so on

biggest pain in the arse

You will end up doing the same subjects though, so it ultimately won't matter.

Perosnally though I'd just get a job for 6 months

wb47

HSC
sorry to bring back an old thread, but I am confused on one thing, How am I supposed to do MMAN1300 if i start in semester 2 since it has a prerequisite and it is not offered in summer semester????

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You do it in S1 the next year (i.e. your second semester at uni).

wb47

HSC
So let me get this straight, I mean everything works out course-wise and the ones i want to do if I do S2, and S1 of next year but nothign works out when i do S1 and Summer Sem. What was the reason I should to summer semester again? Do I have to do it?

Thanks

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You don't have to do it, although it is probably a good idea to do MATH1231 over the summer semester as some of the second year courses (which you will take in S1 as they won't be offered in S2 - otherwise you are a year further behind) will have it as a perquisite.

wb47

HSC
Let me get this straight...

Hey guys so I'm starting UNSW engineering in semester 2 and I have a couple of questions:

How many courses can I do over the summer semester? because I only particularly need to only do 1 (MATH1231) since it is not offered in semester 1. Also for the uni fees I am paying per course right?

So summarising this I will be doign 4 Courses in Semester 2, 1 course in summer semester and 3 courses in semester 2. Will this work?

Thanks

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Re: Let me get this straight...

It will work. Although it would be advisable to do 4 courses in your second semester of uni.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Yes, it should fulfill (if engineering is like other faculties) your mandatory/recommended eight subjects.

wb47

HSC

Thank you guys so much I am/was seriously confused on this topic thank god for BoS haha.

To solooo, why is it advisable to do 4 courses in Summer Sem (2nd sem for me)? The only reason I probably will only do 1 or 2 is because summer semester just doesnt have the courses I want to do and also the ENGG1000 I heard only offers one project.
Am I making a bad decision?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Thank you guys so much I am/was seriously confused on this topic thank god for BoS haha.

To solooo, why is it advisable to do 4 courses in Summer Sem (2nd sem for me)? The only reason I probably will only do 1 or 2 is because summer semester just doesnt have the courses I want to do and also the ENGG1000 I heard only offers one project.
Am I making a bad decision?
Don't do four over summer. It's a waste of time and money, and it may not even be possible. The system you've got planned will work fine.

wb47

HSC

Thank you sooo much for your confirmation i thought i was doomed with subjects i didnt want to do

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I wasn't saying to do 4 over summer, I was saying to do 4 in Semester 1 (i.e. after he summer semester).

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I wasn't saying to do 4 over summer, I was saying to do 4 in Semester 1 (i.e. after he summer semester).
But, you're forgetting about the one that's completed over summer (which combined with the three, would make a standard four subjects). It's easier just to do the three, rather than trying to fit something that won't have pre-requisites and is still countable towards the degree.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
If he does 4 in S1 though then he 'catches up' 1 subjects on everyone else who started half a year earlier than him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)