98.5+ plan (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
Hello BoSers,
I am in year 10 (half way through) and recently had an epiphany that I need to study. It has always been my dream to go to Oxford university and according to that I need to get above 98.5 ATAR. Before everyone gets angry, I know that an application to Oxford is so much more than just a mark. Basically I need a plan to guarantee 98.5+ and if anyone can help me that would be amazing. When I should start studying, consistency tips, hours, objectives and yeah basically what I should be doing to make this goal attainable. I plan on doing 3unit maths, economics, business studies, chemistry, advanced English and in year 11 my school mandates 2 unit SOR. so please anyone, I am really ready to work hard for this so any advice would be great.

such_such

HSC
I remember I was like this last year :L

There's enough time for everything, you just need to manage your time well. You can do anything, really. Just be careful of the beast known as procrastination...

Siddy123

HSC
if u wanna succeed in life( go to oxford) get off these forums now!
before its too late.

Thief

!!
HSC
Step 1: Get off BOS and never come back..

Magical Kebab

HSC
Firstly, make sure ur goal is achievable. I had wild goals last year, and well yeah now I'm aiming for 91+, not to say I can't achieve 98+. So, be realistic, and find something achieveable, if u believe Oxford is an achievable goal for u, then so be it.
Now study hours, don't worry about that. For the time being, do ur homework and assignments and maybe half an hour of study in the afternoon in year ten, just read ur notes and make sure u understand everything, shouldn't take longer than 30 mins, maybe increase this come exams. In terms of consistency, that's up to. You will find a MASSIVE jump from year 10 to year 11, especially with ur subjects but trust me, the hardest part is starting to study, it should be good after starting. I find that if I'm not in the mood but I should study, I listen to a bit of music to get me going .
So, year 10, enjoy but understand. Year 11-year 12, don't worry about "hours" as this varies from person to person but set goals and make sure u achieve them, whether this takes u 1hr or 4, u do them! For example, do English essay and 3 exercises on Maths, complete them then do whatever u want!
So, study should be goal based. I was worrying about hours but then realised I was wasting most of them without setting goals. Set goals and achieve the, on average, I'd go for about 3 hrs a night. Sometimes 2, sometimes 4-5, it really depends on ur workload/mind.

Need any more advice, pm me and good luck!

enoilgam

HSC
Hello BoSers,
I am in year 10 (half way through) and recently had an epiphany that I need to study. It has always been my dream to go to Oxford university and according to that I need to get above 98.5 ATAR. Before everyone gets angry, I know that an application to Oxford is so much more than just a mark. Basically I need a plan to guarantee 98.5+ and if anyone can help me that would be amazing. When I should start studying, consistency tips, hours, objectives and yeah basically what I should be doing to make this goal attainable. I plan on doing 3unit maths, economics, business studies, chemistry, advanced English and in year 11 my school mandates 2 unit SOR. so please anyone, I am really ready to work hard for this so any advice would be great.
The first thing you need to do is assess your capabilities as objectively as possible - are you truly capable of 98.5? You need to understand that you cannot guarantee success - you need to have the natural ability and you also need a bit of luck on your side (i.e. some people get sick in the HSC year, some people get struck by major family tragedies etc). Be warned that you might do everything you can and fall short. Like I said, there are no guarantees.

You should use year 11 to experiment with various study methods. Everyone is different - so find the methods that work for you. You also need to find ways of staying motivated. Its easy to commit to an idea, but its hard to commit to a process. Staying motivated in the day to day grind is extremely difficult and you need to be good at self management to maintain your motivation levels.

Triage

HSC
N/A
You have no clue. Try going to a school rank 300, see some kids who struggle their ass off to get 75. Remember, even if everyone tries their utmost, the ATAR is a RANKING. Same amount of people will get 90+, 95+ etc. You got 99.95, so in your mind its easy - that doesnt make it easy for others.
My school is ranked ~20, I forgot to add.

Siddy123

HSC
ur school is 20.. well then yeah its just a matter of hard work for you buddy =)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Guys, this is a thread about providing advice to OP about achieving their goal.

Debates about natural ability vs. learnt skillsets should be taken elsewhere.

barbernator

HSC
And here is a piece of motivational information for you Triage, 2.5% of people score 98.5+ atars :D work that one out o_O

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well lucky for OP, they are at a rank 20 school. It's easier then to know when you're on track for your goals then. It's hard at a 300+ school.

Anyway OP, I have the vibe you are relatively intelligent and have a work ethic locked away, so 98.5+ is a possibility, but there are NO HSC GUARANTEES.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Would anyone have an approximation of what percentile of the cohort I would have to be to achieve 98.5+

jet

Banned
HSC
Would anyone have an approximation of what percentile of the cohort I would have to be to achieve 98.5+
That will change every year and based on school. If the majority of the people in the cohort each year get above 98.5, you can probably relax more than if one or two got higher than that threshold each year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)