98.5+ plan (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
That will change every year and based on school. If the majority of the people in the cohort each year get above 98.5, you can probably relax more than if one or two got higher than that threshold each year.
I know that the median is frequently above 90.

jet

Banned
HSC
I know that the median is frequently above 90.
That's a good start. My advice would be not to worry about this at all. If you spend the time worrying about your marks and ensuring you're at the top of the cohort, you're going to be frequently stressed and burn out in an instant.

Enjoy your subjects! Develop a passion for them and you'll be motivated and actually enjoy study, and then you'll soar :)

ismeta

HSC
And here is a piece of motivational information for you Triage, 2.5% of people score 98.5+ atars :D work that one out o_O
So I made this, but realised afterward that it didn't agree with that you said. And that I'm not sure that it makes sense. But here it is anyway (I'm tired, okay):

Edit: decided to put this in one whole post rather than two.

That's a good start. My advice would be not to worry about this at all. If you spend the time worrying about your marks and ensuring you're at the top of the cohort, you're going to be frequently stressed and burn out in an instant.

Enjoy your subjects! Develop a passion for them and you'll be motivated and actually enjoy study, and then you'll soar :)
This. It works magnificently. Currently I do maths homework as procrastination because I really like it, and that works out great for my maths skills (but not so great for everything else). I'm still working on the not-worrying part, but it really really helps to like your subjects a lot.

Attachments

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
So I made this, but realised afterward that it didn't agree with that you said. And that I'm not sure that it makes sense. But here it is anyway (I'm tired, okay):

Edit: decided to put this in one whole post rather than two.

This. It works magnificently. Currently I do maths homework as procrastination because I really like it, and that works out great for my maths skills (but not so great for everything else). I'm still working on the not-worrying part, but it really really helps to like your subjects a lot.
Nah, what i mean is that ATAR is not a direct percentile, as it is skewed so only about 9% or so get less than 30. Therefore they have to put more people per rank than there should be for an even percentile distribution. Hence why more people get that atar than the percent.

ismeta

HSC
Nah, what i mean is that ATAR is not a direct percentile, as it is skewed so only about 9% or so get less than 30. Therefore they have to put more people per rank than there should be for an even percentile distribution. Hence why more people get that atar than the percent.
Gotcha, leaped at the chance to make it into a meme, sorry. Why's it skewed like that? (or did I miss something?)

2xL

HSC
Gonna keep it short, but CONSISTENCY is the most important thing. Sporadic studying (i.e. cramming) is not efficient and is quite stressful. Study consistently and amp it up during exam time and you're on your way.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
My advice would be have resiliency. There will be times when things don't go to plan. You must keep moving forward.

russ3l

HSC
http://www.topscores.info/select-nsw.php#pagehere type in your school name and ask yourself whether you can get into the band 6 ranges of your subjects from the past years of your school. Seeing that you're in a school placed in the top 20, you probably won't need to be 'spectacularly' high ranked to obtain a 98.5 atar :)

russ3l

HSC
and have fun making your parents fork out $50 000 p.a while you study in a foreign country...

Triage

HSC
N/A
Hi, I feel like I have an obligation to help you out since I was in year 10 when I decided I wanted to go to Oxford and was accepted on deferred entry to study in 2013! But yes, an Oxford application includes a personal statement, reference, marked essays sent and in some cases, a test. Basically, time management is important. Start developing good study habits this year and get some consistency, but don't work too hard because then you will burn out. Make notes well in advance and do lots of practice papers. I don't work as hard as some people would assume, because it's about working smart not working hard. Don't measure studying by hours etc. Make sure to set yourself goals, for example "get above 90% on this assessment" etc. It's so much easier to do it that way than to just have the 98.5 in your mind. Going back to the Oxford thing... I've been in contact with someone at Oxford since I was in year 10... it's always a good idea to start asking questions and making contacts. I honestly believe that did contribute, even a tiny bit, to the outcome of my application. Best of luck!!
I think I want to study chemistry but I'm not 100% sure yet. Did you contact admissions staff or academics within the particular faculty you were interested in?
Congratulations on your place by the way. Considering your defered to 2013 and I'm in year 10 we could potentially be there at the same time. One can dream right...

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Well I dunno about you but, maybe change to a school through selective applications because I wouldn't wanna do SOR2U. I mean if you're forced to do and don't wanna then I would say take selective test and change schools.

Triage

HSC
N/A
Well I dunno about you but, maybe change to a school through selective applications because I wouldn't wanna do SOR2U. I mean if you're forced to do and don't wanna then I would say take selective test and change schools.
I'll just drop it in year 12.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)