Year 10 Subject Selection for HSC (2 Viewers)

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
I am currently in Year 10 and have to pick my subects next week. I want to go to medicine uni after school. I have picked the following subjects:
Chemistry
Physics
Extension 1 and 2 Maths
Engineering
Advanced English (EXT 1. will pick later if comfortable with Adv English)

I am in NSW. So do these work with the Medicine requirements in NSW for medicine. I have also heard that biology is required for medicine. Is that true? I have picked engineering as a supporting subject. I have an interest in all the subjects listed above. I dont like biology because biology is mainly ecology and environmental in hsc and preliminary. Please also tell me if the subjects above scale up or down. Please reply with complete knowledge as I only want to choose everything once and dont want to drop any subjects in year 11 or 12.

Thanks for help.

enoilgam

HSC
As far as I know, there are no pre-requisites (or assumed knowledge for that matter) for any undergraduate medical degree in NSW. You shouldnt pick subjects on the basis of scaling alone - you should do what you enjoy and what you are good at. Obviously, since you are doing med and need 99+ to be in with a chance, you do need to give it some consideration. However, you are doing pretty much all the highest scaling subjects with the exception of engineering. So I'd say you're fine with what you have.

starshine02

HSC
Nothing is a required subject for medicine but apparently it just makes it slightly easier later on (just a recommended subject). You shouldn't choose a subject based on its scaling - if you do well then you'll do well regardless of scaling. But I'm pretty sure both the maths scales up as well as chem and physics. Not too sure for engineering though. Just do whatever makes you feel comfortable and you enjoy it or you get good marks in it :)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
No pre reqs for med, but I say chemistry is the most important for med out of all 3 sciences. Saying that you don't need bio lol.

Deliriously

HSC
Hey Hit patel
Hi-5! those are the exact same subject combination that you have made the correct choice if you enjoy maths/science.
You must have 12 units for the preliminary course and you cannot pick extension 2 maths until year 12. So far, you will have:

Chemistry (2)
Physics (2)
Mathematics + Maths Extension 1 (3)
Engineering (2)
Advanced English (2)
= 11 so you need one more unit.

Also, it is very hard to pick up new subjects during the middle of the course and especially in year 12 but it is easy to drop subjects. So maybe pick up English Ext 1. and drop it at the end of year 11 if you feel it is too hard.
However, the workload will be much greater, esp working with two extension subjects so you may want to consider another 1 unit subject. Year 11 is all about experimentation so don't worry if you feel like you can't handle the subjects next year.

There are no prerequisites for medicine and biology is definitely not required for medicine. They will teach everything from scratch or if specified there are subjects as assume knowledge, you can sit bridging courses. I'm not sure what is expected in med since i haven't researched much about it but looking at your courses, you have chosen a good range of subjects to adapt to any course including med.
All your subjects scale up except engineering.
Once again, I'm pretty sure you would enjoy your subjects nonetheless. :)

theprofitable95

HSC
N/A
I looked at the UNSW Medicine website and they recommend studying Chemistry. So no need to do Biology.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd agree with everyone that studying chemistry is going to help the most with medicine, but biology is a good supporting subject. It's mainly about animal and plant biology in Year 11, but it really picks up in Year 12 since the focus is nearly exclusively human biology where you study things like genetics, protection from disease and homeostatis (this is where it diverges slightly into animal biology). I'd say that there's more of an environmental focus in Year 12 chemistry than there is in biology. It's a good supporting subject but it's not essential, and you'll probably go through it in first year medicine anyway.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
yeah pretty much they'll go through everything you need in first semester lol

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it ok if I pick economics as a supporting subject? I dont like the biology in school because it is evolution and all that ecology stuff which i hate. I would have liked biology if everything was human and animal science. Is it ok-economics? please reply thanks

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, do you like Economics? If so, try it. And if you don't like it - drop it.

You don't lose anything by trying.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Well, do you like Economics? If so, try it. And if you don't like it - drop it.

You don't lose anything by trying.
Do economics, pleaseeee. I thought I'd hate it, but it's my 2nd fav subject right now, just try it.

starshine02

HSC
Yes it's definitely ok to pick economics. I do both Biology and Economics and I feel that Economics is slightly easier.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
As everyone says, pick eco, I'd say it'd be better than engineering studies. Economics is amazing :D

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
As everyone says, pick eco, I'd say it'd be better than engineering studies. Economics is amazing :D
Thanks all you guys but does economics have maths in it you know like formulas and stuff.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks all you guys but does economics have maths in it you know like formulas and stuff.
To memory, I don't think so. There's always the off-chance that there is though, but it would be very simple anyway.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
A social science teach has told me at my school that there is mathematics, although it is very simple. i.e. Stuff like depreciation and interest I hear. Of course, someone who does economics will know more, such as the mods.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
The maths in HSC Economics is extremely simple and should not be of great concern

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
The maths in HSC Economics is extremely simple and should not be of great concern
Unfortunately, it makes it less enjoyable.

Also, to get into medicine, the minimum requirement is English Standard or above English, so unless you plan on dropping to Fundementals of English, you have nothing to worry about except the UMAT and getting a really really high ATAR.

Which is a lot to worry about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)