Belonging Creative Writing Ideas (1 Viewer)

engie_benji

HSC
I think i did ok in my trial in the essay and short answer question. But i did most preparation in the creative writing section but none of my 3 seed ideas could link remotely to the question and i ran out of time.
I only wrote 2 pages in the end, though i did put some nice metaphors, similes and other techniques in. Do you think it is possible to get say 11/15 with 2 pages of writing?

mystery_meat

HSC
I think i did ok in my trial in the essay and short answer question. But i did most preparation in the creative writing section but none of my 3 seed ideas could link remotely to the question and i ran out of time.
I only wrote 2 pages in the end, though i did put some nice metaphors, similes and other techniques in. Do you think it is possible to get say 11/15 with 2 pages of writing?
You can get full marks with two pages.
So yes, it's possible.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Belonging to place is easy shiz. Belonging is easy I just HATE The Crucible with a passion.
Btw, I made my creative up on the spot with no seed ideas or anything and I made up the story as it went along, I didn't even plan or anything and I got 13/15. Lol.
My creative wasn't good at all and I still got an alright mark. :)

jackienk

HSC
Hi,

I'm thinking about writing a story about my grandma. Set in a hospital (but i don't really say that but i describe it enough so it is understood), having a flashback (gets very descriptive and emotional), but in the end it is revealed that I have to make the decision between keeping her on life support or taking her off of it, and i choose to take her off as she no longer belongs to this world.

so it encompasses familial belonging, and also that she is no longer "belonging to this world".

I think its cliche, the whole concept of somebody dying, but i think if i express it right, it will be different? and the life support thing hopefully hasn't been done too many times?

tell me what you guys think :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Btw, I made my creative up on the spot with no seed ideas or anything and I made up the story as it went along, I didn't even plan or anything and I got 13/15. Lol.
My creative wasn't good at all and I still got an alright mark. :)
Exactly the same situation in my HSC EXCEPT my creative was like a billion times worse. lol
Still got 11/15 for it.

Hi,

I'm thinking about writing a story about my grandma. Set in a hospital (but i don't really say that but i describe it enough so it is understood), having a flashback (gets very descriptive and emotional), but in the end it is revealed that I have to make the decision between keeping her on life support or taking her off of it, and i choose to take her off as she no longer belongs to this world.

so it encompasses familial belonging, and also that she is no longer "belonging to this world".

I think its cliche, the whole concept of somebody dying, but i think if i express it right, it will be different? and the life support thing hopefully hasn't been done too many times?

tell me what you guys think :)
Good.
If you're passionate and capable you will do well.
Get several teachers to mark it until you get consistent 14-15/15

annabellaar

HSC
Would you get marked down if your creative writing piece is very unrealistic? Like fantasy?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Would you get marked down if your creative writing piece is very unrealistic? Like fantasy?
Unrealistic and fantasy can be completely different. While it's generally not encouraged to write in a certain genre, it won't be marked down.

taylahnilsson

HSC
N/A
How about a homeless man in the city streets, and how he doesn't belong with society? Until someone generously donated money to him, where he goes and buys food, clothing and enough to get hired by a job? That way you have a character who doesn't belong, and he then resolves it when his is financially supported?

RavenRum

HSC
N/A
How about a homeless man in the city streets, and how he doesn't belong with society? Until someone generously donated money to him, where he goes and buys food, clothing and enough to get hired by a job? That way you have a character who doesn't belong, and he then resolves it when his is financially supported?
Doesn't sound so bad :)

I'm re-doing mine because I seriously don't know how I can adapt it...

acousticbeats7

HSC
How about some person struggling to belong to a place because its so foul to them but in the end they instead find some kind of connection with another person that makes it bearable (belonging?) That way you can kinda cover two, simultaneously?

michelle483

HSC
what's your favourite all time movie/book, a news story can be the basis of a creative too, or anything interesting happen to you recently? Start from there, just take a couple ideas from it and go from there.
e.g. I did a story about how a girl and her brother's home island sank (like atlantis, or a tsunami) and how they had to then move on and integrate themselves into modern life (used to have a communal lifestyle) -> technology, make a family, find a job, etc.) It sounds boring, but my teacher liked it because I wrote in an interesting way, when using similes/metaphors, make your own instead of sticking with cliches...it adds a personal touch :)

HSC
What about a story where a young girl is adopted by another family from another country. When she arrives, there are four other biological children in the family, the parents always give the adopted child all the chores, and ask her to cook their meals, do all the clothing maintenance and washing, etc. The adopted parents say she has to prove herself and to prove to them that she can be a true member of their family, therefore she feels excluded and has a sense of not belonging, that she doesn't fit in her to her new family.

Get where I'm going?

Get where I'm going?

R

RishadM

Remember that your not writing a book or creating a monolithic idea.
You need to more or less write something short (~1k in 40mins). For that reason I think it's good to capture a moment of 'belonging' or 'not belonging', and try to talk about that moment in an artistic/innovative way (which is the hard bit and that's up to you =] )
I got a borderline band 6 in English (90) and for my creative (which I'm pretty sure lifted me up), I definitely tried avoiding the usual. i.e. sickness/aging/adoption/divorce. Instead I wrote my creative inside the fairytale world. It was from the perspective of Rapunzel's stepmother (the one who locked her away) and being a fairytale, the story was based on Rapunzel's escape - but it explored this from the stepmother's perspective and how she was bound to the chains of prejudice within literature in the fairytale world, forever destined to not belong and never have her side of the story told. I threw in some techniques, nothing too cheesy, some humor and kept the whole creative about this one situation.

brittanyando

HSC
N/A
why not trying to use the plot of an orphan child? like start off with how perfect her life is with her family and parents etc and then at the end be like but i sit in this orphanage wishing it would be one day :S lol

or you could talk about bullying?
and hav a moral behind it about rascism or sumthin?
I do advanced english and our teacher JUST resigned, and we just had our new teacher start today. She's a HSC marker and she said NEVER do a creative writing piece like that, or that ends with "it was just a dream" or that begins with "i am new at this school and i don't belong here." she said they see thousands of those at HSC marking and they are not original !!

HSC
So these are the ideas that I have so far for mine:

* Birth from a child's perspective, or even a contrast between both the mother and the child.
* An omnipresent spirit, such as a god, or time or a ghost.
* Something from your own experiences that seems so minor its insignificant, but make it important. Like, how you felt at your first party, or when your parents had people around and you knew no one. Or something major, like for me, coming out and how I first felt with my girlfriend etc
* An inanimate object's sense of belonging, how a house feels a sense/disconnection of belonging to its inhabitants, a tree about the landscape, a chair about a room.

Do you think these are too cliched?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)