Need Help Here :) (3 Viewers)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
CSSA 2007 Question 6 (MC)

A bar magnet is moving quickly into a coil of wire connected to an ammeter. A current of 8A is produced. If this experiment is repeated using two bar magnets identical to the first one (that are taped together, side by side) and a different wire coil containing twice as many turns as the first one, what would be the expected current?

(A) 4A
(B) 8A
(C) 16A
(D) 32A
I thought it was B, 8A because wouldn't double the coils cause the current to halve?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Im guessing the answer is D because you are practically doubling the magnetic field strength and the number of coils doubles, hence 8x2x2

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I was just thinking like, in a transformer, when the you double the coils, emf doubles but current halves.

barbernator

HSC
its D. can u explain why you thought it was B so we can explain why not?

HSC
increasing the relative motion b/w conductor or magent increases the induced emf.
decreasing the distance b/w conductor and magnet increases the induced emf.
increasing the no. of turns of coils on the conductor increases the induced emf.

initially, it is 8A, doubling T doubles the current. so we have 16A.
then doubling I doubles the current, therefore we have 32A.

so answer should be D

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Well, in a transformer, the secondary coil, if you double the number of turns, you halve the current where the change of flux is the same.

barbernator

HSC
took me a while to think this one through, but i know why not.

Within a transformer, the magnetic flux is changing continuously and the current drops.

The movement of the magnet in and out required a certain amount of force in and out. The generated current within the wire opposes the change. If the same amount of FORCE was used when the coil length was doubles, the current and emf would remain the same. But seeing as we are doubling the coils and keeping the motion of the magnets the same, we are doubling the FORCE in and out and hence current doubles. not sure if this is totally correct but it seems reasonable.

Last edited:
HSC
yes the electromagnetic induction but there are two types of transformers.
Here we are only considering a magnet moving relative to a conductor.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It just seems counter-intuitive that if you have a lot more coils, you'll end up with a lot of power...(higher emf and higher current)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Okay, to clarify, if a higher emf (and hence, current) is induced in the coil due to more coil, this creates higher magnetic repulsion (due to higher current) meaning that more work must be done on the magnet - right? This would be the only intuitively-correct scenario (for me, at least).

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
Okay, to clarify, if a higher emf (and hence, current) is induced in the coil, this creates higher magnetic repulsion (due to higher current) meaning that more work must be done on the magnet - right?
Yes, magnitude of current depends on the speed of the magnet/coil

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)