How do you draw your lower-case sigma? (2 Viewers)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Not the one used for summation, but the one that's used for Standard Deviation.

Looks like this: σ

I'm asking because although I can write it out fairly neatly, it usually takes a while compared to other symbols.

Usually, I write my O's starting from the top, and going in an anti-clockwise direction.

However for my lower-case sigmas, I start from the top, go in a clockwise direction till I reach the original point, then stop my pen for a brief moment, then I draw the little horizontal tail.

If I don't pause and jump directly to the tail, then it ends up wonky and looking like a 6.

deswa1

HSC
I never use standard deviation but when I write in Greek and use it, I do it like this:

Start at the top of the circle and then draw the circle anticlockwise and then when you get back to where you started, just draw the line as well.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My poor eyes.

EDIT: Actually I can't talk. Just had a go myself with it on MS Paint and it looked horrendous.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
My poor eyes.

EDIT: Actually I can't talk. Just had a go myself with it on MS Paint and it looked horrendous.
Yeah, paint's pretty shocking for quick free hand drawing. I had a better looking one, but it was harder to see the direction of the line. This one was clearer.

math man

HSC
N/A
sigma lower.png

my sigmas vary depending on context, 1. if i take time 2. std sigma 3. exam sigma

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Didn't we have one of these threads before?

Anyway, I draw it like an 'o', clockwise, but then just keep going horizontally after I finish the 'o' so I get something that looks like: σ

My stats lecturer makes it look like an upside down balloon... or, a sperm (it's my guess on why people started bursting out laughing when he wrote it on the board the first time).

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I imagine Lleyton hewitt as the circle and the line aligned to the right a bit his cap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)