HSC
N/A
So atm im in Year 10, and yesterday i made my subject selections and i chose;
English Ext 1
Modern History
Economics
Chemistry
Biology
Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation 1U (gonna drop in year 12)

So first i wanna ask how these subjects scale (how hard would it be to get a 94 ATAR), whats the work load like, and for which subjects would a tutor be beneficial.

Also, im curious about how the ranking of our schools come into play when their deciding our ATAR (my schools HSC rank was like 50th in 2009, 100th in 2012 and 140th last year.

Finally, does spelling count in the HSC??????????????

Thanks Guys :))

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Your subjects you plan to have in year 12 all scale very nicely. One could argue a tutor in any subject is beneficial but i'd reccomend just Chem and Bio as the other subjects are more kind of essay based and you should be able to do fine using textbooks, the internet and listening in class. If that doesn't work out in year 11 THEN look at tutors for year 12. Ofcourse spelling counts in the HSC! You can probably get away with the odd mistake in something like economics, and definitely can in the sciences but if you have mistakes in English it just looks really bad.

Forget work load in HSC. It's more something relevant to uni, at school you are there every day for the same amount of time almost always. In addition to that it's how much extra work you want to put in which determines your "work load". 94 ATAR isn't going to be easy if im honest, at a school with your rank you will want to be in atleast the top 5 for each of your subjects and maybe topping one or two for a chance at a mid 90s atar. If you are going relatively well at school at the moment and are prepared to put in effort next year (some stuff indirectly carries over in some subjects) and especially in year 12 it shouldn't be too difficult.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So atm im in Year 10, and yesterday i made my subject selections and i chose;
English Ext 1
Modern History
Economics
Chemistry
Biology
Sport, Lifestyle and Recreation 1U (gonna drop in year 12)

So first i wanna ask how these subjects scale (how hard would it be to get a 94 ATAR), whats the work load like, and for which subjects would a tutor be beneficial.

Also, im curious about how the ranking of our schools come into play when their deciding our ATAR (my schools HSC rank was like 50th in 2009, 100th in 2012 and 140th last year.

Finally, does spelling count in the HSC??????????????

Thanks Guys :))
The ranking of the school has no effect on your ATAR. Your final HSC marks are moderated according to the performance of your cohort this year.

LeadTaco

HSC
N/A
Your subjects you plan to have in year 12 all scale very nicely. One could argue a tutor in any subject is beneficial but i'd reccomend just Chem and Bio as the other subjects are more kind of essay based and you should be able to do fine using textbooks, the internet and listening in class. If that doesn't work out in year 11 THEN look at tutors for year 12. Ofcourse spelling counts in the HSC! You can probably get away with the odd mistake in something like economics, and definitely can in the sciences but if you have mistakes in English it just looks really bad.

Forget work load in HSC. It's more something relevant to uni, at school you are there every day for the same amount of time almost always. In addition to that it's how much extra work you want to put in which determines your "work load". 94 ATAR isn't going to be easy if im honest, at a school with your rank you will want to be in atleast the top 5 for each of your subjects and maybe topping one or two for a chance at a mid 90s atar. If you are going relatively well at school at the moment and are prepared to put in effort next year (some stuff indirectly carries over in some subjects) and especially in year 12 it shouldn't be too difficult.
Thanks for this , i might also get a English tutor as it will probably help with modern, etc too

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Thanks for this , i might also get a English tutor as it will probably help with modern, etc too
That could be useful as you are doing 3 units of english lol. But eco and modern use completely different essay structures and obviously content is nothing alike. If you are getting an ex student as a tutor (maybe not the best idea for English actually) theres a chance they might have done some of the other subjects anyway so they probably wouldn't mind tutoring you with a bit of history if you need to occasionally etc.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Overall, they scale average - but you shouldn't consider that when making your decision.
2. You take a tutor for the ones you are the weakest in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)