• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Effects of Rankings (1 Viewer)

Roy216

HSC
I'd like to see how two different scenarios would have two different outcomes depending on your schools rank

These are my half-yearly ranks:
SoR 1U: 14/87
English Standard: 13/99
Engineering Studies: 10/14
Mathematics: 13/33
Modern History: 11/23
Physics: 7/15
Now i believe my schools rank was between 200-2020

I was told my atar estimate would be 77-82

Lets says I had the same rankings with the same subjects but i was in a school that had a ranking in the top 30

How would my atar be different and what would it be?

deswa1

HSC
I reckon even higher tbh. Maybe 92 not that sure though -> this is trying to guess VERY ROUGHLY off my school which is like 23 or something

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I reckon quite a bit higher (edging to 90), but to be honest I doubt a top 30 school would have such a big standard english cohort and small physics cohort.

Roy216

HSC
I reckon even higher tbh. Maybe 92 not that sure though -> this is trying to guess VERY ROUGHLY off my school which is like 23 or something
Can't believe it would have that much of a difference

Roy216

HSC
I reckon quite a bit higher (edging to 90), but to be honest I doubt a top 30 school would have such a big standard english cohort and small physics cohort.
Yeah thats true, would a larger cohort have an effect aswell?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Does lower-ranking schools drag your atar down? (since the mean is lower or something i don't know). Say your school is like in the 200's and you didn't get first rank in every subject.. you will be pulled down right?
No! School ranking is based on the number of band 6's that YOUR cohort achieves. If your school is in the 200's there is a chance that it could go into a top 10 school when your cohort completes your HSC. The school ranking is calculated after your atar is calculated, so no it does not affect your star. However the reason you need your school rank to estimate your atar is to get a rough estimation of how well your school has been in previous years.

deswa1

HSC
Does lower-ranking schools drag your atar down? (since the mean is lower or something i don't know). Say your school is like in the 200's and you didn't get first rank in every subject.. you will be pulled down right?
NO. I'll try and explain something about school ranks. Currently I go to Sydney Tech. If I was to top chem at tech, chances are I'd end up with a HSC mark of around 96. Someone topping chem at a school in the 200's might not even get a B6 (though they could, we never know). The point is, the higher the school rank, the harder it is to rank well. If anyone in the top ten at a selective school moved to a school in the 200's, I guarantee you they would top it.

You can't just look at your ranks and then transfer them to a higher ranked school because at a higher ranked school it becomes much harder to get those SAME ranks. So it is designed to all cancel out- yes rank 50 will do much better at Ruse than at a 200 school but only because that 50 student at Ruse is MUCH better than that 50 student at 200.

School rank doesn't influence anything. Your performance does.

enoilgam

HSC
NO. I'll try and explain something about school ranks. Currently I go to Sydney Tech. If I was to top chem at tech, chances are I'd end up with a HSC mark of around 96. Someone topping chem at a school in the 200's might not even get a B6 (though they could, we never know). The point is, the higher the school rank, the harder it is to rank well. If anyone in the top ten at a selective school moved to a school in the 200's, I guarantee you they would top it.

You can't just look at your ranks and then transfer them to a higher ranked school because at a higher ranked school it becomes much harder to get those SAME ranks. So it is designed to all cancel out- yes rank 50 will do much better at Ruse than at a 200 school but only because that 50 student at Ruse is MUCH better than that 50 student at 200.

School rank doesn't influence anything. Your performance does.
This - if you were capable of those ranks at a top 30 school, you should be able to do significantly better at a school ranked 200ish.

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
Deswa and enoilgram are both correct.

However, at lower ranked schools the tests would be on average much easier than at higher ranked schools. The implications of this is that it'd be harder to distinguish yourself from the 'not as academically gifted' students in your cohort. Thus your internal marks will be bunched together this will damage your internal mark.

So both yes and no, depending on how the schools set their tests.

Roy216

HSC
Deswa and enoilgram are both correct.

However, at lower ranked schools the tests would be on average much easier than at higher ranked schools. The implications of this is that it'd be harder to distinguish yourself from the 'not as academically gifted' students in your cohort. Thus your internal marks will be bunched together this will damage your internal mark.

So both yes and no, depending on how the schools set their tests.
I agree with the fact that a cohort of a top school would generally perform better then another school with a bade cohort, but the tests won't necessarily be easier, some exams such as the independent papers and CSSA papers would be taken by both top and low ranking schools

Atar Hater

hardout gangsta
HSC
I agree with the fact that a cohort of a top school would generally perform better then another school with a bade cohort, but the tests won't necessarily be easier, some exams such as the independent papers and CSSA papers would be taken by both top and low ranking schools
My statement should only be taken generally (as i stated in the post). Just from doing past trials haven't you noticed how the ones from JR/SBHS/Grammar and other top schools are much more difficult on average?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)