single or double degree? (2 Viewers)

megaman64

HSC
e.g. If I wanted to get a job in the field of commerce will another degree help in differentiating me from those who only do commerce? and also how much is the workload of a single degree compared to a double degree?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
e.g. If I wanted to get a job in the field of commerce will another degree help in differentiating me from those who only do commerce? and also how much is the workload of a single degree compared to a double degree?
It does help.

Workload is the same. You're just at university for a longer period of time.

get_back23

HSC
I studied Chemical Eng. a couple of years back. There were a number of commerce doubles in my cohort and I can tell you from experience that the majority of them were lesser engineers. There were exceptions of course, but alot of them either didn't have the talent to focus in two areas or were simply wasting their time with engineering and diverting their energies from commerce where they belonged.
Let me tell you something about an engineering degree. It's diverse, especially in my field, and there is no way in hell the core subjects are going to make you a competent practising engineer. You can't do half the work and expect to come out with the same skills as someone who has covered a good range of electives. I can tell you from experience that the electives are what shape your interests and help you stand out from a commerce double who can barely do the basics of the course. In my case in addition to normal chem eng core units I studied mining, polymers, green engineering and waste water treatment to list a few. These all helped my job search and my continuing professional activity. The basics are just that - a starting point for further engineering study.
I'm sure that the same will be true of commerce studies, although I cannot speak from experience. Also with regards to employment I can't say how it affects your chances other than to say now where I looked at had any commerce, arts, law component to the application so I doubt it would have helped. There are positions for double degree engineers, an acquaintance is a lawyer/engineer, but these positions are rarer than straight engineering. Whether you wish to hybridise in the workplace as well as uni is another question for you as well.
found this in another post

is this guy right about double degrees? how useful are they

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The above is a good post IMO.

It depends on where you want to go with the double. I asked the same question before I transferred from Commerce into Commerce/Law and the answer was for many accounting based jobs was that it doesn't matter (i.e. auditing). On the other hand, it may be beneficial for others (i.e. taxation), because the law degree actually bares some relevance to the nature of the work.

You might not be particularly interested in accounting - that's just an example that I can put forward from personal experience. What field are you looking to get into?

HSC
it srsly depends.

Double degrees with cross over are A+

double degrees with 0 cross over = jack of all trades

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
2 is better than one

but there also is the oppurtunity cost of being in uni for longer

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
it srsly depends.

Double degrees with cross over are A+

double degrees with 0 cross over = jack of all trades
Science and Arts = no crossover and no clear career prospects. #winning

I love my degree though, and I have a heap of different areas I could potentially go into, rather than just a defined outcome from my studies. Being at uni longer has been no issue because the uni lifestyle is actually the best, and I'll end up in the workforce a little more mature, with a heap more experience under my belt than someone who did a single degree.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
found this in another post

is this guy right about double degrees? how useful are they
well, I don't agree S long as your double compliments each other.

Like BE/BSc(Adv Maths) would help with your ability to process things in engineering and stuff.

And chemical engineering plus a major in biochemistry or chemistry would help broaden your understanding of chemical concepts as both a scientist and an engineering (what I'm planning on doing).

So yeah, whatevs

Science and Arts = no crossover and no clear career prospects. #winning.
HPSC is pretty much the Arts of science, and you do psych which is offered in both, so those are two big crossovers. :p

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
HPSC is pretty much the Arts of science, and you do psych which is offered in both, so those are two big crossovers. :p
I've actually been lying all these years. I'm really a Maths and Latin major. No crossover :'(

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I've actually been lying all these years. I'm really a Maths and Latin major. No crossover :'(
I KNEW IT!

You're just so good at maths, like, unbelievably amazing, if you weren't an advanced maths major I'd be surprised.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
I KNEW IT!

You're just so good at maths, like, unbelievably amazing, if you weren't an advanced maths major I'd be surprised.
Reading between the barely contained sarcasm, it feels like you're insulting me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)