• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is it bad? (1 Viewer)

timbermetimer

HSC
We just got our results for Paper 1 and Paper 2, yesterday.

And the average for standard in paper 1 was about 14/45 and for Paper 2, 15/60.

My teacher said, that our school marks incredibly hard. He said, If you add +6 marks to what you're getting now, that would be your HSC mark.

Is this good for us, or bad?

Last edited:

lvella10

HSC
Even by adding 6 having those marks in the hsc would seem to me like your entire cohort is extremely bad :L Total of 41/100 from the hsc markers isn't a great effort tbh ...

timbermetimer

HSC
I meant, 6 - 8 marks for each section for Paper 1 and 2. So, I got 12/20 for Mod B, I would be getting like a 17 or 18/20.

lvella10

HSC
All my teachers are current hsc markers, and my class averaged over 18 .. I don't see how they could mark that hard, considering there need to be some protocols in terms of marking guidelines ..

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ouch, they are very low marks, do they really only give people 5 for the each modules essay on average???

What is your school rank?

timbermetimer

HSC
Ouch, they are very low marks, do they really only give people 5 for the each modules essay on average???

What is your school rank?
The averages were, for Mod A, like ~6, Mod B, ~6 and Mod C, ~4 Lol.. My school rank fluctuates from around ~90 to ~ 80.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Trials are supposed to be something to work off, however, there is a marking criteria, and if you're school is marking that harshly, I don't think they mark very well. If they said the HSC will give you ~6 marks, I don't see why they don't give you guys those 6 marks that you deserve (or don't deserve if they're lying).

I think my school's standard cohort average was ~30/45 and ~40/60 (whereas the advaned cohort's average was a lot higher) however both the advanced and standard cohort had a shouting at, at how bad our results were

lvella10

HSC
how can a school ranked as such have their students get such low marks internally? Serious question.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It is possible that the OP is actually misunderstanding what the teacher means by adding 6 marks.

I mark using the HSC marking criteria and firmly believe, based on experience over the last 20+ years, that most of my students will improve by 10 - 15 marks between the Trials and HSC - based on the way I like to finish the year with an emphasis on buillding on their currently displayed weaknesses.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It sounds somewhat stupid to mark that harshly (assuming they marked that harshly) and if your school is rank ~85, top mark should almost always be full marks per essay (maybe ~19/20).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Send one of us one of your essays to mark and we'll tell you if your teacher is right.

Because that seems whack.

How is 14/45 the average for paper 1?!
Average to good standard students should be getting above 20 for section 1 and 2 in paper 1.

timbermetimer

HSC
Who do I send you my essay to, I'm happy to. I didn't misunderstand her, she said that very clear.

deswa1

HSC
Yeah that's stuffed. It makes sense for a school to maybe mark a bit harder than HSC (I know ours does and they do this to allow differentiation between people otherwise at most selective schools, averages would be too high to seperate) but an average of 14 is just stupid at a school in the top 100. There's no benefit to marking that hard imo- your teacher is retarded

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
The averages were, for Mod A, like ~6, Mod B, ~6 and Mod C, ~4 Lol.. My school rank fluctuates from around ~90 to ~ 80.
IMO that's pretty stupid. It's all well and good marking harder than the HSC in order to get students to further improve their essays come HSC time, but marking that low is just going to discourage people, which can be extremely detrimental. My school regularly ranks in the top 5 in english and our lowest marks for trials would be equivalent to your average.

Was your 12/20 for Mod B one of the top marks? It must have been for those averages to make sense (even then it doesn't really).

timbermetimer

HSC
IMO that's pretty stupid. It's all well and good marking harder than the HSC in order to get students to further improve their essays come HSC time, but marking that low is just going to discourage people, which can be extremely detrimental. My school regularly ranks in the top 5 in english and our lowest marks for trials would be equivalent to your average.

Was your 12/20 for Mod B one of the top marks? It must have been for those averages to make sense (even then it doesn't really).
For Mod A, highest was 14, Mod B, 12 and Mod C, 12

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)