• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ATAR estimate please! I'm really worried I won't get into law (1 Viewer)

hayhay2012

HSC
My school is ranked ~80th.
My marks for trials were alot lower than my other assessments, but I'll give you my trial mark and overall rank.
English advanced 90/100- 10/32
English Extension 1- 46/50- 4/19
Mathematics 2u- 93/100- 1/27
Economics- 92/100- 1/11
Legal Studies- 93/100- 1/10
Studies of religion 1- 46/50- not completely sure probably around 4th/5th out of 50 people (Was originally coming first)

Thanks everyone in advance!

deswa1

HSC
To be perfectly honest, I don't think you'll make comm/law with those ranks, at least not at USyd or UNSW. Your english ranks in themselves will already limit your ATAR given that you're at an 80's school and even though your other marks are theoretically uncapped, things like not doing 4U will limit the ATAR (yes- I said it). I really hope you do get .65 but I can't see it happening right now- prove me wrong please.

But about an estimate, idk, around 99? What is dux normally at your school?

JasonG123

HSC
Uni Grad
98 probably. But don't get discouraged, you're first in several of your subjects, so you could get any marks you want in those. It's curious that your mark for english was 90% but yet you're 10th, meaning your school either marks quite easily or you have a very strong cohort. How many people usually get a band 6 in English Advanced at your school?

enoilgam

HSC
I reckon you're probably looking at 97-98.5. Comm/Law at UNSW or USyd is probably a stretch, but I guess it is possible (there were many shocks last year).

hayhay2012

HSC
98 probably. But don't get discouraged, you're first in several of your subjects, so you could get any marks you want in those. It's curious that your mark for english was 90% but yet you're 10th, meaning your school either marks quite easily or you have a very strong cohort. How many people usually get a band 6 in English Advanced at your school?

That's just my estimate, for english because half yearly i was 14th due to a poor oral mark, but have improved since then, maybe my rank is better than 10
at least 50% of the advanced english people in my school have got band 6 over the last 5 or so years, last year it was around 75% i think. And for english ext last year 100% got band 6! yes my school is quite strong in english

hayhay2012

HSC
I reckon you're probably looking at 97-98.5. Comm/Law at UNSW or USyd is probably a stretch, but I guess it is possible (there were many shocks last year).
im happy with 98, as I'm aiming for UTS law, or macquarie is my next preference. So do you think I have a chance?

hayhay2012

HSC
To be perfectly honest, I don't think you'll make comm/law with those ranks, at least not at USyd or UNSW. Your english ranks in themselves will already limit your ATAR given that you're at an 80's school and even though your other marks are theoretically uncapped, things like not doing 4U will limit the ATAR (yes- I said it). I really hope you do get .65 but I can't see it happening right now- prove me wrong please.

But about an estimate, idk, around 99? What is dux normally at your school?

Dux last year was 99.45, year before 99.8

deswa1

HSC
That's just my estimate, for english because half yearly i was 14th due to a poor oral mark, but have improved since then, maybe my rank is better than 10
at least 50% of the advanced english people in my school have got band 6 over the last 5 or so years, last year it was around 75% i think. And for english ext last year 100% got band 6! yes my school is quite strong in english
Can you please check that? Our school is in the 20's and we get no where near 50% B6 in english- I don't think Ruse even gets 75% and they are rank 1.

enoilgam

HSC
im happy with 98, as I'm aiming for UTS law, or macquarie is my next preference. So do you think I have a chance?
I think you have a decent chance.

Wow ok- maybe I was wrong. That's amazing
That is very suprising (I thought it sounded a bit wierd as well) - but some schools perform freakishly well in one subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)