How to get a 99.95 + State Rankings (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello everyone,
So I went to a tutoring company (as a year 12 student) in year 11 and did the HSC course for Chemistry, Physics, MX1 and MX2.
Since I completed the course already I want to use my time most effectively this year to get into med at USyd which required 99.95, I also want to get some state rankings. I do MX1, MX2, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, and Advanced English. School rank around 30.
My plan is to:
Complete my own notes for chemistry, physics and biology before January.
Do every single questions for MX1 and MX2 in the Terry Lee and Cambridge textbooks. Work on improving both speed and accuracy in maths.
I started doing past papers already, I want to get as many of them done before next year as physically possible. About 500 or so for each subject?
Buy English essays from ex-HSC students, read them all, then write my own essays and learn them very well so I can adapt to different questions in the exam.

Can anyone please tell me if what I'm doing is the right thing to do and how I can improve my study plan?

Thanks to anyone that provided useful advice :)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
My best advice at the moment: Calm down before you burn out!

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
there is no one way for anyone to study

we don't know what works best for you

HSC
there is no one way for anyone to study

we don't know what works best for you
I know what you mean, but in general, what's the most effective way to do this? I talked to people who got state rankings and they all said the same thing, finished the content in year 11, made notes, did past papers throughout year 12.
But I was wondering if you can do more than just that?

nightweaver066

HSC
Adding to this, pace yourself.

HSC is not a race, but a marathon (read this somewhere before). You have plenty of time and there's no need to rush.

What you should aim for is consistent study and maintaining your motivation. Studying so intensely will only burn you out and ruin this routine.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
i had a friend who state ranked 4U maths and all he did was just keep up with the work and did a few past papers, not all state rankers are crazy like that

and really you shouldn't be looking to do more than that, don't burn yourself out mate, imo it's overkill to be doing that much

HSC
Another think that I have to worry about is my school rank, if I don't get rank 1 in all subject there is no way I'm going to get the ATAR I want.

Thank you for the advice guys, but how do you exactly prevent burning out without sacrificing too much study time?

such_such

HSC
+1

I spend my time at the beginning of the year intensely studying and now I'm too lazy to do any consistent study.

HSC
+1

I spend my time at the beginning of the year intensely studying and now I'm too lazy to do any consistent study.
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I know how important it is to be consistent. Will try my bast to have a consistent routine.
I'm thinking about 1 terry lee exercise + 1 Cambridge exercise + 4 pages of chemistry and physics notes per day so I can hopefully get them all done before January. Once I'm done with that, I'll start doing about 2-3 past papers per day for chem, phys, mx1 and mx2.

BTW, living moment, there is a big misunderstanding going on, relax and stop being annoying.

starryblue

HSC
i think you should first focus on improving your weaker areas and i agree with everyone else, careful not to burn out :)

HSC
i think you should first focus on improving your weaker areas and i agree with everyone else, careful not to burn out :)
English is my weakest LOL
How do I improve that? I'm trying to buy essays from people on BoS but they are really expensive... Do you think I should get a tutor for English, otherwise how do I improve English?
I have a really good study plan for maths and science though.

starryblue

HSC
English is my weakest LOL
How do I improve that? I'm trying to buy essays from people on BoS but they are really expensive... Do you think I should get a tutor for English, otherwise how do I improve English?
I have a really good study plan for maths and science though.
well first you need to know which areas of English you are weaker at...e.g. if you're weak at essay writing, is it problems with content, analysis, expression, etc...
you can get a tutor if u want or just rely on ur school teacher :)

HSC
well first you need to know which areas of English you are weaker at...e.g. if you're weak at essay writing, is it problems with content, analysis, expression, etc...
you can get a tutor if u want or just rely on ur school teacher :)
Do you recommend any tutors?
I heard good things about The Brain Hurstville but I'd prefer a 1on1 tutor. Or should I just buy as many essays to help me make my own?

starryblue

HSC
Do you recommend any tutors?
I heard good things about The Brain Hurstville but I'd prefer a 1on1 tutor. Or should I just buy as many essays to help me make my own?
ummm...i didn't like the brain that much and it's really hard to find a good english tutor unless someone recommends u to one...u can buy essays to help urself but i think u should write an essay, hand it in to your school teacher/tutor to mark and let them give u some feedback instead of doing a lot of essays in one go, without knowing what u need improvement on...
one on one is definitely a better choice for english tutoring

HSC
ummm...i didn't like the brain that much and it's really hard to find a good english tutor unless someone recommends u to one...u can buy essays to help urself but i think u should write an essay, hand it in to your school teacher/tutor to mark and let them give u some feedback instead of doing a lot of essays in one go, without knowing what u need improvement on...
one on one is definitely a better choice for english tutoring
Thanks for a advice man. Will pay more attention to English from now on. I think I'll buy essays, wrte my own get someone to mark them and hopefully do very well in English.
It is really hard to have a consistent study plan for English for some reason. For science and maths you know exactly what to do to get the marks.

starryblue

HSC
Thanks for a advice man. Will pay more attention to English from now on. I think I'll buy essays, wrte my own get someone to mark them and hopefully do very well in English.
It is really hard to have a consistent study plan for English for some reason. For science and maths you know exactly what to do to get the marks.
i think u should also pay attention to biology because it scales the lowest out of your subjects...
And it's hard to consistently study for everything! u better tell me some of your motivation techniques :)

HSC
i think u should also pay attention to biology because it scales the lowest out of your subjects...
And it's hard to consistently study for everything! u better tell me some of your motivation techniques :)

Think of the HSC as a way to get you into the uni course you want where you will become a great scientist and change the world.
That's one of my motivation techniques, I have many others :)

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
I just hope for you, that one you do get into usyd med with all that effort, and two - you find it worth all that bloody effort!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)