Does God exist? (2 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Garygaz

HSC
Personally, I believe in God. I think that the only way to understand and comprehend God is through a personal relationship with God. That's why it's pointless to get in debates with people with no faith. God can only be understood and discovered at the individual level...in my opinion at least.
schizophrenia on a world-wide scale

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Personally, I believe in God. I think that the only way to understand and comprehend God is through a personal relationship with God. That's why it's pointless to get in debates with people with no faith. God can only be understood and discovered at the individual level...in my opinion at least.
This is a good post.

schizophrenia on a world-wide scale
No.

Garygaz

HSC
what is different to a schizophrenic claiming he has a personal relationship with someone who doesn't exist and you claiming you have a personal relationship with an entity that you can't prove exists?

i find it peculiar how all the different bands of religions group together and talk about their personal relationship with god and tend to agree with one and other, even though they're praying to entirely different gods with different motives and intentions.

if god can 'only' be understood on a personal level, then the idea of organised religion is just dumb, and your point is dumb. you should all feel bad.

Debauchee

HSC
Well that's where you're wrong. A majority of muslims dont support murders. A majority would mean over a billion. You yourself said there are only millions.
A billion is a multiple of a million, idiot.

Do u have any evidence for a majority of muslims support murders.
Hmm gee maybe the link ive posted a dozen fucking times

Debauchee

HSC
you do realise that you can't blame suicide bombing on Islamic principles

because, you know, suicide *is* a sin in Islam

ugh we were discussing muslim opinions, not whether suicide bombings are/aren't against the teachings of islam

Frostbitten

HSC
"Spiritual Being: definitely not, don't think I'd have a girlfriend

rather, I said "it" because I thought you were transexual sorry"

Hmmm, a personal attack... Nice.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
ugh we were discussing muslim opinions, not whether suicide bombings are/aren't against the teachings of islam
if it is not in Islam, what relevance is it that the people in question are "muslim" or not, as what defines them as "Muslim" is their Islamic beliefs. If Islamic beliefs are not the issue (they aren't as suicide and thus suicide bombing is against Islam) then the problem is not with Muslims but with another demographic that just happens to consist of many Muslims.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Islam cannot be a legitimate cause of suicide bombings and also ignoring the fact that many of these terrorist attacks are based on political agendas with nothing to do with religion but everything to do with political strife in those regions.

I mean using your logic, you could argue that African Americans are over-represented in US jails, ergo being African American is bad, which any reasonable person would agree is a stupidly racist assertion that completely ignores the other factors that could lead this demographic to partaking in criminal activities, namely that they are also over-represented in poverty, lack of education etc. It is a very similar case with Muslims around the world.

I'm not justifying their actions, I am simply saying that Islam is not a legitimate reason to partake in these activities, and as a Muslim is defined as a follower of Islam, them being Muslim has nothing to do with it. Them being poor, uneducated and from a region that has often been at strife with the West politically, militarily etc. has much more to do with it.

Debauchee

HSC
if it is not in Islam, what relevance is it that the people in question are "muslim" or not, as what defines them as "Muslim" is their Islamic beliefs.
you would know the answer to the question if you looked at the rest of the damn conversation

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
why do islamist extremists frequently employ the tactic of suicide bombing while catholic irish republicans did not (though they did employ proxy bombs)

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
why do islamist extremists frequently employ the tactic of suicide bombing while catholic irish republicans did not (though they did employ proxy bombs)
I have no idea tbh but as the religion strictly prohibits suicide I do not think it has anything to do with the fact that they are muslim but more to do with other factors, perhaps cultural? Or maybe it is considered an effective military tactic?

You will find it is a very popular tactic amongst the Tamil tigers and even the secular terrorist movements in Palestine. I guess it associates more with the "terrorist" aspect than the "islamist" aspect.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
I have no idea tbh but as the religion strictly prohibits suicide I do not think it has anything to do with the fact that they are muslim but more to do with other factors, perhaps cultural? Or maybe it is considered an effective military tactic?

You will find it is a very popular tactic amongst the Tamil tigers and even the secular terrorist movements in Palestine. I guess it associates more with the "terrorist" aspect than the "islamist" aspect.
Robert Pape's idea is that suicide bombing is related to military occupation, not religion per se. But the question is why did the Irish Catholics refuse to sanction suicide attacks (they certainly had the expertise to do so, after receiving mentoring in terrorist/insurgency strategy from Islamists) while extremist Islamists do sanction it? There is only one answer. If one takes a contorted interpretation of the Quran, suicide attacks are not only sanctioned but inherently virtuous. Obviously, most Muslims rightly do not subscribe to this doctrine. The problem is that Islam is far more akin to the Old Testament than the New Testament in how it proscribes violence; much like the Old Testament, it perpetuates the virtue of righteous reprisal and plays into the hands of extremists.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Robert Pape's idea is that suicide bombing is related to military occupation, not religion per se. But the question is why did the Irish Catholics refuse to sanction suicide attacks (they certainly had the expertise to do so, after receiving mentoring in terrorist/insurgency strategy from Islamists) while extremist Islamists do sanction it? There is only one answer. If one takes a contorted interpretation of the Quran, suicide attacks are not only sanctioned but inherently virtuous. Obviously, most Muslims rightly do not subscribe to this doctrine. The problem is that Islam is far more akin to the Old Testament than the New Testament in how it proscribes violence; much like the Old Testament, it perpetuates the virtue of righteous reprisal and plays into the hands of extremists.
True. I guess you can say that whilst Islam does not condone the violence or promote it, it unfortunately has the flexibility for terrorists to interpret it in a manner that allows for violence.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
True. I guess you can say that whilst Islam does not condone the violence or promote it, it unfortunately has the flexibility for terrorists to interpret it in a manner that allows for violence.
So how can we stop/fix that?

HSC
islamist extremism and catholic irish republicanism shouldn't even be in the same sentence

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I don't know but I would imagine a very very long time. There are some very stubborn, fundamentalist and powerfully corrupt individuals behind all these attitudes tbh
This is the problem. It might be better for the US and other countries to enter into undemocratic Islamic nations where fundamentalists are strong to help defeat them similar to what the US had done/is doing in Afghanistan to the Taliban currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)