Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
i don't understand

if you ask the question 'why', you then gain the power of delving into the supernatural dimension to find your answers?
This

I don't get why asking the question "why" validates the existence of a supernatural element

iBibah

HSC
This

I don't get why asking the question "why" validates the existence of a supernatural element
The ultimate 'why' questions can never be answered through science. If someone genuinely believes that 'why' is a valid question, then to find their answer they must acknowledge a super natural dimension.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
The ultimate 'why' questions can never be answered through science. If someone genuinely believes that 'why' is a valid question, then to find their answer they must acknowledge a super natural dimension.
But I don't see why this is necessary? Can you please go into more detail?

iBibah

HSC
But I don't see why this is necessary? Can you please go into more detail?
If you have a read through the last couple of pages AbsoluteZero and myself discuss it.

Basically, science answers how, what and where, never why. Often when asked why, you get the answer how.

iBibah

HSC
Haha ok. I guess i'll have anothet more thorough read as I am as yet unconvinced, but we'll see :)
If you don't mind me asking, are you religious/an adherent to any religion?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I think why questions have pragmatic value. Anything beyond that (by nature of apparent definition) seems to delve into metaphysics and therefore becomes irrelevant.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
what pragmatic value could a why question have beyond assuaging the existential angst of a juvenile

iBibah

HSC
Pragmatic in the type of question, not the type of answer.
It's a matter of opinion whether or not you think 'why' questions beyond pragmatic value are relevant. By saying you think it's irrelevant, it means you don't consider the ultimate why questions to be valid. (which is fine)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's a matter of opinion whether or not you think 'why' questions beyond pragmatic value are relevant. By saying you think it's irrelevant, it means you don't consider the ultimate why questions to be valid. (which is fine)
Well if you've defined them as metaphysical, and I don't consider myself as a believer in the supernatural, then by your definition, they are irrelevant to me.

iBibah

HSC
Well if you've defined them as metaphysical, and I don't consider myself as a believer in the supernatural, then by your definition, they are irrelevant to me.
Correct. (Sorry I thought you were saying they are irrelevant to everyone)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
If religion has taught us anything (and it hasn't :)) it's that clearly people do search for why. So definitely not irrelevant for everyone.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I believe in God. I think that the only way to understand and comprehend God is through a personal relationship with God. That's why it's pointless to get in debates with people with no faith. God can only be understood and discovered at the individual level...in my opinion at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)