• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Prelim. vs HSC Economics (3 Viewers)

crazy_paki123

HSC
HSC Economics is much easier and more interesting than Prelim Eco. And dont worry what your teacher says, my teacher also said that she feels embarrassed teaching Prelim Eco but i did poorly. In year 11, my overall mark for eco was 56, in year 12 I got for 80s in a row, i got 57 in the trial which messed my mark but i didnt really get to study for that but all in all eco is interesting and easier in year 12 :)

Shazer2

HSC
It is alright, I just didn't try hard enough in prelim. :(

bosaddict

Banned
HSC
N/A
I understand most of it I think. I just fail to apply it to extended responses.
Oh.

Extended responses in prelim are total BS, legit the questions are pretty shit.

HSC extended responses are so much better, it gives you a lot more room to analyse etc. Trust me. I use to get 13/20 in prelim, now I get 19/20 in HSC

kwu1

HSC
Oh.

HSC extended responses are so much better, it gives you a lot more room to analyse etc. Trust me. I use to get 13/20 in prelim, now I get 19/20 in HSC
Agreed.

Rawf

HSC
Prelim eco basically builds a foundation to HSC eco in my opinion.. if you understand all the concepts in prelim then I'm pretty sure you'll find HSC eco really easy.
HSC eco is a lot of content, however prelim is a lot too.. it all comes down to whether you can keep up and understand all the concepts (it becomes logical really).

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Being a total fan boy of economics.

The HSC is much better. It is in a sense "easier", but that is because you have done preliminary economics. And no, you don't do 12 page essays. You will end up with maybe 3-4 solid pages of writing per essay.

P.S it is a great subject
Are you sure? I was looking through one of those economics past paper textbooks that have band 6 answers for each question of the exams, and all essays were well over 10 pages. I also got this confirmed with my teacher, who said 10 pages and up is required for a band 6 response.

Also, i don't know how you would manage to analyse an extended response question properly with only 3-4 pages, for my preliminary response i managed to do 3 1/2 pages but ran out of time to do more.

bosaddict

Banned
HSC
N/A
Are you sure? I was looking through one of those economics past paper textbooks that have band 6 answers for each question of the exams, and all essays were well over 10 pages. I also got this confirmed with my teacher, who said 10 pages and up is required for a band 6 response.

Also, i don't know how you would manage to analyse an extended response question properly with only 3-4 pages, for my preliminary response i managed to do 3 1/2 pages but ran out of time to do more.
Those are HSC booklets, they are much smaller than a normal page.

1 normal writing page is probably about 2 pages of the hsc booklets

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Those are HSC booklets, they are much smaller than a normal page.

1 normal writing page is probably about 2 pages of the hsc booklets
ah okay, sounds much more reasonable now. Do you only get those booklets for the external exam or is the school required to provide them for internal exams as well?

deswa1

HSC
Being a total fan boy of economics.

The HSC is much better. It is in a sense "easier", but that is because you have done preliminary economics. And no, you don't do 12 page essays. You will end up with maybe 3-4 solid pages of writing per essay.

P.S it is a great subject
You'd want more than 3-4 pages if you're aiming for the very top marks. The top people (i.e. 20/20) write like 1500+ words which is easily 12 exam pages. Even if you don't use exam booklets- in our trials we just had ordinary lined paper and I wrote like 9 pages or something. If you set aside an hour for each essay, you'll hit that fairly comfortably.

Oh.

This. Though I didn't mind prelim extended responses either but HSC gives a lot more freedom for contemporary information.

See above

bosaddict

Banned
HSC
N/A
You'd want more than 3-4 pages if you're aiming for the very top marks. The top people (i.e. 20/20) write like 1500+ words which is easily 12 exam pages. Even if you don't use exam booklets- in our trials we just had ordinary lined paper and I wrote like 9 pages or something. If you set aside an hour for each essay, you'll hit that fairly comfortably.

This. Though I didn't mind prelim extended responses either but HSC gives a lot more freedom for contemporary information.

See above
Does that include diagrams? because that will make a difference. I hit 9 with diagrams

kwu1

HSC
Well if you want the marks. Has to be a very comprehensive response. Ask Determine, from memory he used to write 12 pages.

bosaddict

Banned
HSC
N/A
Well if you want the marks. Has to be a very comprehensive response. Ask Determine, from memory he used to write 12 pages.
12 HSC booklet pages I hope, otherwise you'd spend the whole exam on a essay.

hopefully this year will be an easy question

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

See above
Thanks for clarifying !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)