Essay writing (1 Viewer)

HSC
How could I get better at essay writing in these holidays so im better prepared when i start yr 12? I'm slow at writing because I think allot in the test and my fingers just aren't fast enough(hand gets soar also), I don't write enough and my work usually doesn't have great vocab.
I do Adv english, both histories and gonna do ext history, legal studies and business studies so advice would be appreciated. :)

enoilgam

HSC
How could I get better at essay writing in these holidays so im better prepared when i start yr 12? I'm slow at writing because I think allot in the test and my fingers just aren't fast enough(hand gets soar also), I don't write enough and my work usually doesn't have great vocab.
I do Adv english, both histories and gonna do ext history, legal studies and business studies so advice would be appreciated. :)
Both Essay writing and writing speed are improved with practice. Writing practice essays and having teachers mark them will greatly help you improve you're writing. I know it sounds simple, but thats pretty much the best way to improve.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Both Essay writing and writing speed are improved with practice. Writing practice essays and having teachers mark them will greatly help you improve you're writing. I know it sounds simple, but thats pretty much the best way to improve.
Also, always get your work checked as well - having people critique your work with constructive criticism is a skill that is very worthwhile and shows all the little problems with your writing.

enoilgam

HSC
Also, always get your work checked as well - having people critique your work with constructive criticism is a skill that is very worthwhile and shows all the little problems with your writing.
Personally, I think writing an essay but not having someone check over it is pretty ineffective.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Personally, I think writing an essay but not having someone check over it is pretty ineffective.
Yeah, exactly but not just give it a mark. That doesn't help. Try and at least get someone to go through your work and say "yeah, this part is bad" or "this part is retelling"...etc and accepting the criticism is the skill that's worthwhile.

I didn't phrase what I said before properly...lol.

enoilgam

HSC
Yeah, exactly but not just give it a mark. That doesn't help. Try and at least get someone to go through your work and say "yeah, this part is bad" or "this part is retelling"...etc and accepting the criticism is the skill that's worthwhile.

I didn't phrase what I said before properly...lol.
Agreed - the mark tells you where you stand, but the feedback is what helps you improve.

HSC
alright thanks and do you think i should do a certain amount of essays a week for each subject?

enoilgam

HSC
alright thanks and do you think i should do a certain amount of essays a week for each subject?
There is no limit or anything, but to maximise your marks should keep doing essays until you can reliably score band 6s in them.

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Read many essays, write your own essay, than get it marked

williamhuff

HSC
N/A
Better writers construct their writing in a way that’s understood by their target audience. Becoming the better writer you can be isn’t easy. It takes hard work. But it’s worth the effort. And if it seems like an impossible task, there are some best essay writing service today that will give you the tips of writing. If you want to become a good essay writer you should have a steady to need for knowledge and able to read more essay books and other magazines. Write down ideas, all the time. Keep a little notebook handy and write down ideas for stories or articles or novels or characters.

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
You definitely need in-depth feedback on your essays to help you to improve. That's kind of my job - I run a feedback and editing service, but I don't really know that I'm meant to tell you that on this forum? Sorry if that's the case, I wasn't intentionally coming here to tell you I edit and help people learn to write essays. Anyway, your teacher might be willing to help students improve their writing over the Christmas break - it can't hurt to ask, right? Also, if there's someone in your family who is good at writing (and who is willing to give constructive criticism) you could ask them to help. There is absolutely no point practicing writing essays if you don't know what you're doing because you can just end up reinforcing bad habits. I agree that it helps to read good essays (but again, you need to be able to tell what a good essay is).

Oh, and Williamhuff - those essay writing services are not going to help someone learn to write essays - having someone do your work for you (especially when it's from America or some other country with a completely different education system and different rules about essay structure, grammar and punctuation) is never a good idea. You need to be able to learn to write good essays yourself, and that happens by practicing and improving your own.

Last edited:

lorettaallen

HSC
You definitely need in-depth feedback on your essays to help you to improve. That's kind of my job - I run a feedback and editing service, but I don't really know that I'm meant to tell you that on this forum? Sorry if that's the case, I wasn't intentionally coming here to tell you I edit and help people learn to write essays. Anyway, your teacher might be willing to help students improve their writing over the Christmas break - it can't hurt to ask, right? Also, if there's someone in your family who is good at writing (and who is willing to give constructive criticism) you could ask them to help. There is absolutely no point practicing writing essays if you don't know what you're doing because you can just end up reinforcing bad habits. I agree that it helps to read good essays (but again, you need to be able to tell what a good essay is).

Oh, and Williamhuff - those essay writing services are not going to help someone learn to write essays - having someone do your work for you (especially when it's from America or some other country with a completely different education system and different rules about essay structure, grammar and punctuation) is never a good idea. You need to be able to learn to write good essays yourself, and that happens by practicing and improving your own.
To improve your essay writing skills before starting Year 12, focus on these key areas:

1. Practice Regularly: Dedicate time each day to writing exercises to build speed and fluency.
  2. Expand Vocabulary: Read widely and actively learn new words to enhance your writing.
  3. Plan Essays: Develop outlines before writing to organize your thoughts and improve structure.
  4. Seek Feedback: Use feedback from teachers or peers to identify areas for improvement in clarity and content.
  5. Use Writing Tools: Consider using tools for grammar and spelling to polish your essays.
Consistent practice and targeted improvement in these areas will prepare you well for Year 12 essays across your subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)