• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

ATAR estimate please (2 Viewers)

Spoken12

HSC
Hi guys,

Not too sure how the system works so hopefully you can help me grasp an ATAR estimate :)

I had some family troubles going on during the trials so I didn't do as well as I would have liked, nor as well as I could have in most of my subjects but hopefully now I'll be able to do better in each subject on the HSC than I did in the trial (i.e. unlike on the trial, get closer to my course marks... with the exception of General Maths, freak result on the trial!)

Economics - 1/18, course mark internal over the year: 92%, trial mark: 82%
Business Studies - 1/27, course mark internal over the year: 94%, trial mark: 87%
Legal Studies - =2nd/15, I don't remember my course mark internal over the year but it would be between 86-91%, trial mark: 80%
General Maths - =4th/48, course mark internal over the year: 86%, maybe 87%, trial mark: 91%
English Advanced - =5th/54, course mark internal over the year: 85%, trial mark: 85%

What ATAR am I looking at? School ranking I'd say is in the early 200s.

UNSW Commerce cutoff is 96.3, but I can get 2 bonus points for English so in reality I need 94.3. Am I likely to get close? How close? Etc. etc.

Cheers guys :)

Spoken12

HSC
Cheers for the reply.

Nah I won't be Dux, no chance and yeah I'll be sending my EAS forms in soon, by the deadline of November 30 anyway (the latest you can send it in and still find out if you're eligible when the marks/ATARs come out).

So approx very early 90s? And yeah obviously the externals will have a large role in determining it :)

Spoken12

HSC
Also, does anyone know approximately how I would have to do on the day to hit a 95?

deswa1

HSC
If I had to guess, I'd estimate your ATAR at around 94 but I'm not normally good at these things so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. Good luck :)

Spoken12

HSC
Since no one answered my follow up question (I guess it was a hard one), I'll ask again. With the OP in mind, how would I need to do on each exam on the day to get 95 ATAR? I'm talking raw marks, literal mark on the paper. Like what would I need in English out of 105, Economics out of 100 etc. etc. What about 90 ATAR? What would be required (approx.) ?

freeeeee

HSC
Okay, i can only answer your question for 2 subjects, because those are the subjects i also do and are familiar with the cut-off for band 6

English they say 80/105 is band 6, but i would recommend 85/105 as almost guarantee band 6
Economics ~82/100 band 6, but i would recommend 85 which is not too hard to get if you consider the distribution (MC 18/20, SA 35/40, Essays 16/20 ea --> 85/100)

ofc there is no way to tell if you will reach these raw marks unless your teachers for that particular subject that mark that particular module in the HSC is a HSC marker
E.g. for Creative writing the teacher that marked that section at your school is a HSC marker for creative writing

Hope that answers your question

Spoken12

HSC
That's quite positive because on the trial I got 82% raw on Economics (both teachers marking are HSC markers, one is a "Judge" marker) and on English I got 89/105 (85%)... only one of the markers was a HSC marker but at worst I have a chance to get a Band 6 there.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
If I had to guess, I'd estimate your ATAR at around 94 but I'm not normally good at these things so take what I say with a massive grain of salt. Good luck :)
I would agree with an estimate in this area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)