• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Two quick questions (1 Viewer)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
1- What's the easiest way to graph y=f(g(x)) if you're given the graph of f(x) (e.g. graph y=f(e^x), y=f(1/x)). I can do them most of the time, but it takes me forever compared to graphing y=g(f(x)).

2- Anyone got examples of harder polynomial questions? Stuff like the q8 of 2010. I'd never seen anything like that before, so I kind've freaked out when I looked at it (although it turned out to be easy after looking at solutions).

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
1- What's the easiest way to graph y=f(g(x)) if you're given the graph of f(x) (e.g. graph y=f(e^x), y=f(1/x)). I can do them most of the time, but it takes me forever compared to graphing y=g(f(x)).

2- Anyone got examples of harder polynomial questions? Stuff like the q8 of 2010. I'd never seen anything like that before, so I kind've freaked out when I looked at it (although it turned out to be easy after looking at solutions).
Do you mean q8 of 2011? The only other similar question that comes to mind is q7 of 2010. btw the solutions to that question aren't exactly the best, they don't take into account a very specific case.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Do you mean q8 of 2011? The only other similar question that comes to mind is q7 of 2010. btw the solutions to that question aren't exactly the best, they don't take into account a very specific case.
Oh yeah sorry, 2011. 2010 was the basel problem, wasn't it?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Oh yeah sorry, 2011. 2010 was the basel problem, wasn't it?
Yes the question 8 was the basel problem. Have a look at the question 7 though, it's probably the closest thing to what you're after (more towards the end of question 7).

deswa1

HSC
^That's actually really neat thanks :) Did not know that Descartes sign change rule thingo

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Should be similar approach to graphing y = g(f(x)) because you should know the graphs of y = f(x) and y = g(x) in either case. The way I normally do it is to list the relevant graphical features of the outer function y = f(x) then replace x with the inner function g(x) and reinterpret those features.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A tip for y=f(1/x), for the extremeties (or where the function is monotone), you can rotate the page 90 degrees clockwise, then pretend that is y=f(x), then draw 1/f(x) as 'usual'. Though of course I would prefer you actually understand what is going on.

Also, equation number (4) in the link I attached (Under "More bounds of roots"), that is the 2011 Q8 and is one of the most well-known theorems of Root Approximation.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)