Ready for Information Technology? (1 Viewer)

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
How is everyone's preparation going for IT.. and what are your predictions for tomorrow's exam? Do you reckon they will have 3 options for 15 markers in section III or will they have only 2 options... one of which is made up of 3-5 long answer questions.... and how did everyone prepare for IT?
I believe that ITV just needs like 30 mins of reading notes and practising past papers... and its common sense... well most of it is!

declanbehan

HSC
They will have one question for Section III and one question for Section IV

Exactly how I feel about it! I haven't started studying though - I did 0% study and got 92% in the Independent Trial haha

Are the online multiple choice working for you? It stops loading for me

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I havent tried the online multiple choice... my school was generous enough to print me past papers from 2001-2011 so I didnt bother trying the online MC.
http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/course/higher-school-certificate/information-technology/
^^ Yes the online MC works for me though.
I kinda agree with you, IT doesnt require much preparation at all.. I only did one past paper for the trials and got 86 as final mark.
I lost marks because my long responses were not in the correct format... i.e you have to have a title page, contents page, introduction, body, conclusion for a 'report'... all I had was just a normal essay-like structure... which only got me 10-11/15.
I bet this year they could test something strange... e.g write a 'memo', 'business letter' etc.... besides a 'report' as it has been a while since they last tested these.
btw goodluck for 2morrow's exam.. m sure u will do preety well since u got 92 in the trials :D

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw what do u reckon the cut off for band 6 in IT is?
It should lie around 85-86 as a raw right??

declanbehan

HSC
Yeah I havent tried the online multiple choice... my school was generous enough to print me past papers from 2001-2011 so I didnt bother trying the online MC.
http://www4.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/course/higher-school-certificate/information-technology/
^^ Yes the online MC works for me though.
I kinda agree with you, IT doesnt require much preparation at all.. I only did one past paper for the trials and got 86 as final mark.
I lost marks because my long responses were not in the correct format... i.e you have to have a title page, contents page, introduction, body, conclusion for a 'report'... all I had was just a normal essay-like structure... which only got me 10-11/15.
I bet this year they could test something strange... e.g write a 'memo', 'business letter' etc.... besides a 'report' as it has been a while since they last tested these.
btw goodluck for 2morrow's exam.. m sure u will do preety well since u got 92 in the trials :D
Just switched computers and now its working haha, thanks for checking!
Yeah it is very much common sense..I think the only areas which I may need to revise is some of the Workcover/OHS info and definitions of viruses and trojans etc!
That's exactly what happened to most of my class, we had to make a training document for Section III and I just randomly decided to make a contents and laid it out with headings so I got full marks!
It would help if it was sort of explained in the question how they expect you to structure.
Oh yeah they could get us to do something strange like make an email to survey customers of a business or something strange.

thank you! I bet you will get easily into the 90's now you know how to structure the longer responses :D

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Just switched computers and now its working haha, thanks for checking!
Yeah it is very much common sense..I think the only areas which I may need to revise is some of the Workcover/OHS info and definitions of viruses and trojans etc!
That's exactly what happened to most of my class, we had to make a training document for Section III and I just randomly decided to make a contents and laid it out with headings so I got full marks!
It would help if it was sort of explained in the question how they expect you to structure.
Oh yeah they could get us to do something strange like make an email to survey customers of a business or something strange.

thank you! I bet you will get easily into the 90's now you know how to structure the longer responses :D
This is what I also need to touch on...

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
MC answers:
1.C
2.C
3.D
4.A
5.B
6.D
7.B
8.A
9.C
10.C
11.A
12.B
13.A
14.D
15.B

Last edited:

jg234

HSC
N/A
Hmm from what I can see 7 would have been D://setup etc as the question says the file is located on the disk hence the disk drive would be different to the hard drive path (C://)

And I think 15 would be the hard drive is beginning to fail but I must say some were a round tricky - how did everyone find the short answer and extended answer questions? I must say I didn't know what exactly put for the mc question that asked about ambulance officers responding to an incident etc seemed a bit strange to ask it to me in a way

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Hmm from what I can see 7 would have been D://setup etc as the question says the file is located on the disk hence the disk drive would be different to the hard drive path (C://)

And I think 15 would be the hard drive is beginning to fail but I must say some were a round tricky - how did everyone find the short answer and extended answer questions? I must say I didn't know what exactly put for the mc question that asked about ambulance officers responding to an incident etc seemed a bit strange to ask it to me in a way
Yes the MC was really strange this year... shit just realised I got 2 wrong :(
The emergency services/ambulance MC was tricky.

Options were:
A. Location, nearest cross street, number of casualties
B. Location, age of casualties, number of ambulances required (Don't think the age is that necessary and it is the emergency services people that determine the number of ambulances required).
C. Number of casualties, number of employees, nature of incident. (number of employees not required.. the company might have serveral braches with many employees, what do employees have to do with emergency services, unless they are involved in it)
D. Nearest cross street, workers compensation contact, first aid officer...(again, workers compensation contact details are not needed unless they are the casualty... but the choice doesnt specify this)

Therefore the answer should be A?

Last edited:

lucifersguard

HSC
is 3 the 1 that asked for cache? that 1 was wrong. The answers jg234 gave are right. The warrenty question was A.

lucifersguard

HSC
oh fcuk, was it cache or virtual memory? I think i automatically read it as virtual memory and gave the wrong answer. 14/15

Sanjeet

HSC
That was such a poor test, IT such a dodgy subject. Q14 is wrong.

PumpedUpKicks

HSC
I found it quite okay, except it was too time consuming cause it had waaay too much content for Sections 3 + 4.
Lol everyone thought it'd be easy, but came out of the exam frowning.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I found it quite okay, except it was too time consuming cause it had waaay too much content for Sections 3 + 4.
Lol everyone thought it'd be easy, but came out of the exam frowning.
This and plus MC was harder this year than previous years.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
What are you thoughts on the paper and what do you think the cut off will be?.....
I personally believe the paper was diffcult for an 'IT' exam and general knowledge was not adequate enough to get across a band 6, unlike last years's paper. I did 10 years of past papers and I found this paper to be the most challenging of them all, mainly because of time management issues and a lot of big 3-4 markers being in section II where as in previous years.. there are only about a maximum of 3-4 questions that exceed 3 marks in section II. Multiple choice I thought was tricky and some were diffcult and required more than just general knowledge.. usually in previous years there are 1-2 questions that are tricky, but this year there were about 5-6 that tested really your skills and understanding. I though section III was fair, but it required a lot of areas to be disussed in the recommendation report.... including the installation and configuration of the new system... as well as the security, backup, file management and software licensing. So the problem here was TIME...
Section IV was ok... with a reckless 8 marker question that I BS'ed a lot in. I believe that the marks to questions were not allocated properly and they should have included one more question to devide the 8 marker into two smaller questions... similar to questions in previous past papers....

Overall, the exam was decent for me but was diffcult in comparion to previous IT exams that I have seen. Therefore the cutoff for a band 6 should be at the very minumum in a long time... also depending on how the state performed. I would say the cut off should lie around 84 or 85 as raw, that is around 68/80 as a raw.

Last edited:

lucifersguard

HSC
True i was surprised how long it took. I recon the cut off should be round 85 mark. And safraaz, did u check that question i asked about? Number 3 i think it was, was it asking virtual memory or cache?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
True i was surprised how long it took. I recon the cut off should be round 85 mark. And safraaz, did u check that question i asked about? Number 3 i think it was, was it asking virtual memory or cache?
Sorry for the delayed reply... umm question 3 was about Chache memory.

The question was: Which statement best describes cache memory?
A. USB memory connected to a computer to increase its storage space
B. An area of memory that contains settings for operating the computer
C. An area of the hard disk that is needed when there is insufficient RAM< Virtual memory!
D. High-speed memory that is included in devices to improve response time..<<
Think D is correct, but it was poorly worded as not all devices on a computer can hold memory...??? but it was the best answer from the list I guess as the keywords were 'improve response time'.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)