Fail subjects. Move to other uni? UNSW to University of Sydney? (1 Viewer)

Wake Up

HSC
I am an electrical engineering student at UNSW right now,first year. I have been basically struggling the whole year because of personal reasons.
In the first semester I dropped all of my subjects before the academic failure deadline ( i lost $5000 scholarship because of this),then in this semester I only take 3 subjects.

I am really sure that I am going to fail 1 subject (phys1131) since I really did not know how to do the final exam worth 64% (practically I only wrote 1 page of answer,for 5 questions with 20-30 pages provided for answering the exam);
Though I got 35% already from the assessments during the semester, I am pretty sure I will get 0 for the final exam.

For other subjects I reckon I will only manage to get pass.

Right now I consider to take a break and apply for engineering ( i don't which engineering) course at University of Sydney via UAC to get a clean slate.
I got ATAR equivalent of 98.6 so there is no problem to get accepted

Would it be a good decision? People on the internet (here and boredofstudies) often said that UNSW is the best engineering uni in Australia,much better than University of Sydney.
Would it be a good idea to move to University of Sydney?
i would love to get a clean slate and apply my self to study.

or stay at UNSW with 1 fail or probably more?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think whether you move or not, that fail is still going to stay on your transcript.

Stay at UNSW, it's better and just try harder next year.

Wake Up

HSC
I asked the sydney uni admission officer and they said that the transcript would be clean slate because i haven't finished/done one year units worth of study. (At UNSW that should be 48 UOC)

Last edited:

halapenyo

HSC
if i was in your position i would take the clean slate. gives you another year to get your act together.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
alternately, if you have evidence supporting why you did poorly due to personal reasons (maybe a doc's certificate or a psych one or something) you can have pulling out last sem changed to a DNF (discontinue not fail) grade instead of a fail, or Discontinue Fail.

It might be worth staying and trying again because you'll already have some familiarity with the coursework which could make it easier to go over again next year and those subjects you're doing this sem which you aren't going to fail can count towards your course.

Wake Up

HSC
alternately, if you have evidence supporting why you did poorly due to personal reasons (maybe a doc's certificate or a psych one or something) you can have pulling out last sem changed to a DNF (discontinue not fail) grade instead of a fail, or Discontinue Fail.

It might be worth staying and trying again because you'll already have some familiarity with the coursework which could make it easier to go over again next year and those subjects you're doing this sem which you aren't going to fail can count towards your course.
it's stupid personal reason,i don't think they will care (family problem)

Wake Up

HSC
I really want to stay at UNSW but I am now paranoid that my chance of employment and getting scholarship for PHD would get destroyed because of this. I read on the internet that people get some fails at uni,get better mark afterwards and still have chance for the best employment opportunity (graduate program), and scholarship for master or PHD here or overseas.

halapenyo

HSC
I really want to stay at UNSW but I am now paranoid that my chance of employment and getting scholarship for PHD would get destroyed because of this. I read on the internet that people get some fails at uni,get better mark afterwards and still have chance for the best employment opportunity (graduate program), and scholarship for master or PHD here or overseas.
jesus you are really thinking far ahead. you dont need a PHD for good emploment opportunities.

also if you want to stay at UNSW then do it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Just wondering - why do you want to do a PhD when you are doing engineering? Either way i hope you aren't planning on post grad stuff before getting employment (this isn't science or art). Just try not to regularly fail subjects and get atleast a credit average and you should be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)