Ready for Information Technology? (1 Viewer)

TomHSC2012

HSC
For each extended response I was able to write a booklet for each. The first question however I wrote 2. I think the IT exam should be at least 2.5 hours, as only 2 hours is nothing.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
For each extended response I was able to write a booklet for each. The first question however I wrote 2. I think the IT exam should be at least 2.5 hours, as only 2 hours is nothing.
Agreed.
Could you please confirm questions 10 and 14. What did you put for them as your answer?

TomHSC2012

HSC
Agreed.
Could you please confirm questions 10 and 14. What did you put for them as your answer?
I used a bit of knowledge from business studies to answer this one, I put C (External) as they are not out sourcing a business function and that the person is not working internally in the business.

14 = D. As the usage of the CPU is so high, it would not perform so well.

lucifersguard

HSC
I used a bit of knowledge from business studies to answer this one, I put C (External) as they are not out sourcing a business function and that the person is not working internally in the business.

yep their right

Sanjeet

HSC

I put D as well. But technically none of the options are correct.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
I put D as well. But technically none of the options are correct.
Yepp... The two most closest were A and D. I tried to distinguish between these by searching on google... it appears that both are kind of correct. It might be that year again where they accept two answers... but I would've went with D, but most of my classmates put A.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
@Sanjeet...you also did IPT right?...
How did you find the exam in comparison to IT and what raw mark you expecting?

Sanjeet

HSC
Yepp... The two most closest were A and D. I tried to distinguish between these by searching on google... it appears that both are kind of correct. It might be that year again where they accept two answers... but I would've went with D, but most of my classmates put A.
Yea but none of them are correct haha...major fuck up by BoS. Just because there is high CPU usage doesn't necessarily mean there is poor performance- you could be rendering multimedia project that is using 100% CPU, that doesn't correlate to poor performance.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea but none of them are correct haha...major fuck up by BoS. Just because there is high CPU usage doesn't necessarily mean there is poor performance- you could be rendering multimedia project that is using 100% CPU, that doesn't correlate to poor performance.
Exactly.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
If all the options are incorrect and did not accurately answer the question...what usually happens is that everyone gets a mark, regardless of the closest answer... this is what I was told by a marker.

Sanjeet

HSC
@Sanjeet...you also did IPT right?...
How did you find the exam in comparison to IT and what raw mark you expecting?
Yes I did...I found IPT bullshit tbh as I spent a very long time studying the syllabus, and learning everything from it. The test (apart from MC) basically addressed <50% of the syllabus so it was mainly about reading the scenario and bs'ing..I was pretty disappointed- some of the questions were very poorly worded. In comparison to IT I'd say it was harder but IT this year was definitely harder than previous years..although some of the questions in this test I thought were stupid (especially the last 8 marker- all bs). I felt I did better in IT than IPT but I am expecting the cut-off for B6 for both subjects to be lower. I guess we'll see. How'd you go?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
It was the worst IPT exam I have seen... I skipped the last 5 marker in the communication topic.. about the ERS thing and didnt have time to get back to it. The whole exam was stuffed up. I had IPT and Biology on the same day.. and sacrificed the night b4 and a wekk just doing IPT and after the exam I thought all my preparation was pointless. My friends started studying IPT about 2 hrs b4 the exam... just browsing through the book and they found it okay. I basically ended up bs'ing like 50% of the exam and tried to related as much IPT knowledge as I could.... I should've concentrated more on biology that night and could've gotten a decent raw in that. Overall, I did okay in both the IT exams and m expecting the cut off to be relatively low this year, probably like 74 for IPT (In previous years its about 76) and for IT I just hope the cut off is around 84. Both the subjects scale bad and can potentially screw up one's atar...i.e IPT only starts to scale up from 92 in the atar calculator and an 86 woudl be needed for IT to scale. I'm kinda surprised and shocked to see them scale so low. Only about 2% each year gets a band 6 in IT and that even puts me down, and about 8-10 % get a band 6 in IPT.
Generally I thought that both the exams were harder than previous years... I guess they are trying to standardise the paper so it scales better...

Last edited:

lucifersguard

HSC
Err, no. The CPU usage was very high and the fact that the RAM is so low, shows that the computer must be suffering from a slow system. How the hell could it be A...

jackss

HSC
"A High CPU Usage reading indicates that the computer's central processing unit is running at max level or is above normal level for the number of applications running. Slow performance, hang-ups (freezing), and random shutdowns are symptoms of high CPU usage."

Even if you are rendering a multimedia project and your CPU is running at 100% its likely your computer will end up laggy as it wont be able to do anything else. So... definitly D, question makes perfect sense.

lucifersguard

HSC
"A High CPU Usage reading indicates that the computer's central processing unit is running at max level or is above normal level for the number of applications running. Slow performance, hang-ups (freezing), and random shutdowns are symptoms of high CPU usage."

Even if you are rendering a multimedia project and your CPU is running at 100% its likely your computer will end up laggy as it wont be able to do anything else. So... definitly D, question makes perfect sense.
exactly

Gigacube

HSC
Overall, it was fairly ordinary. Not too hard and not extremely easy, just the usual easy IT exam. It was more difficult than last years but I think that was expected. I actually preferred the trial in comparison to this HSC exam. Usually its the other way around for me.

I only thought that the MC section was more time consuming than usual. Section III wasn't as specific as it usually is as it stated for 4 sections to be addressed including the installation and configuration of the new system which is fairly broad. What format did you write Section III in?

The cut off will be definitely lower than last years (88%) and I think it will be around 85%.

SchoolIsBoringg

HSC
IT is boring. All you do is read booklets and answer questions based on the information from the booklet. I had high expectations for this subject as I thought it would be more practical.

PumpedUpKicks

HSC
What if you have an average mark of about 86-90% in all previous papers, trials, etc. but you bombed out in the hsc exam. What do you reckon your hsc mark would be?

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
What if you have an average mark of about 86-90% in all previous papers, trials, etc. but you bombed out in the hsc exam. What do you reckon your hsc mark would be?
This is what happen to me this year in ITV HSC exam. I think I would be lucky to get 85%+ in the exam. I'm afraid to tell you that there is no 'back-up' system for ITV as ranks are not submitted, its only your mark in the trials that they look at. So a person who was ranked last in teh school for this subject can still come first if he/she performs well in the exam. What what my teachers told me, its just entirely your exam mark in the exam that counts as your final HSC mark. So if you under-performed... badluck, and just hope that the state did bad.... :(

But if you did extremely bad, lets say a person who got 90 at school and gets like 60 in the HSC, my teacher said that they would call the school and discuss the issue with them or they would then refer to the trial mark that was submitted.

Refer to page 3 of this doc. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/info-technology-assessment-reporting.pdf
Its just the external hsc exam mark!

Last edited:

PumpedUpKicks

HSC
This is what happen to me this year in ITV HSC exam. I think I would be lucky to get 85%+ in the exam. I'm afraid to tell you that there is no 'back-up' system for ITV as ranks are not submitted, its only your mark in the trials that they look at. So a person who was ranked last in teh school for this subject can still come first if he/she performs well in the exam. What what my teachers told me, its just entirely your exam mark in the exam that counts as your final HSC mark. So if you under-performed... badluck, and just hope that the state did bad.... :(

But if you did extremely bad, lets say a person who got 90 at school and gets like 60 in the HSC, my teacher said that they would call the school and discuss the issue with them or they would then refer to the trial mark that was submitted.

Refer to page 3 of this doc. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/info-technology-assessment-reporting.pdf
Its just the external hsc exam mark!
Same here. I'm actually a bit terrified for the external mark. I wish this paper was just like previous years >.>
Lol I don't really know about the state performing bad- everyone says it was hard, but not too hard = technically easy.
Oh well. Thanks for the link :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)