Relating your chosen topic to key questions? (1 Viewer)

taemins

HSC
Hai hai.

So my topic for my History Extension major work is the witch hunt during early modern Europe as well as focusing on the Malleus Malificarum(So in the syllabus this would go under: critical analysis of a major historical work, I think?). Whilst doing my research, I e-mailed my teacher about my topic and he said I needed to make sure they have some historiographical significance as related back to the key questions:
- Who are the historians?
- What are the purposes of history?
- How has history been constructed and recorded over time?
- Why have approaches to the construction of history changed overtime?

^ I'm having trouble finding a way on how my topic adds to my understanding of those key questions. I was just going to go for something generic (because honestly I can't think of anything to link it) like how this document was created has constructed history in a way that has shaped it... or something. Like hell. I have a proposal that's due tomorrow morning and it's just all asdfghjkl.

Any kind of help would be appreciated~ ;A;
taemins :)

phy6au

HSC
You should look at various historians who write about the witch hunt. They will have conflicting views but will use the same evidence/ sources. In your essay you should look at these historians and how they came to these conclusions.

In my proposal we were asked to include
-Areas/Texts you want to examine
-Your preliminary research
Research intentions- Method

phy6au

HSC
Pretty much just look for a bunch of books that talk about the witch hunt

History 101

HSC
You should look at various historians who write about the witch hunt. They will have conflicting views but will use the same evidence/ sources. In your essay you should look at these historians and how they came to these conclusions.

In my proposal we were asked to include
-Areas/Texts you want to examine
-Your preliminary research
Research intentions- Method
This is exactly right. What you need to be able to do is first of all form an argument regarding the witches hunt - this is done through two main historians (or 3/4) who hold differing views. This therefore gives plenty of room for you to challenge the nature of history -- how history is ultimately subjective as a result of the historians personal and periodic context. This makes your essay much more complex and more History Extension based. Hope it helps! Good luck with it all + feel free to ask any more questions!

Last edited:

History 101

HSC
It's basically like adding a little bit of What is History? into your PIP -- however in relation to your arguement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)