• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

To be or not to be.... at least i think thats the question (1 Viewer)

Currybear

HSC
Hey guys,

im in year 12 right now and im considering a carear in engineering. But i have no idea which kind or where to do it, or if i should pursue it. My subjets are i the signature, and i like computers and making stuff. Soooo i had some questions

Where should i do it?
Whats your take on flexi?
Whats the job security like?

Finally, if you were given a chance to go back to uni, would you retake it?

:) :) Cheers :) :)

jnney

lemon
HSC
There are different branches within engineering - and depending on which one you end up studying you may or may not end up enjoying the course. It would be a good idea to first do research on what these different areas such as civil, chemical, megatronics, etc and that will help you decide on "which kind.. or if [you] should pursue it." and. This way, you will be able to ask more specific questions in regards to a career within engineering.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
megatronics

Think you are thinking of Mechatronics =P

Where you should do it depends on what ATAR you get, how you feel about compulsory internships, and whether you want to go to uni with friends and possibly what type of engineering you want to do. UNSW, USyd and UTS are all quite highly regarded for engineering but the general consensus on this forum (which has a strong UNSW bias btw) is that UNSW is "the best".

Idk about Flexi, i wouldn't like it personally since usually the first year is rather generic and i really enjoyed doing subjects specific to my major. I also saw a thread on here about a guy who couldn't transfer out of flexi into his desired major which you supposedly have to do.

Synchronised

HSC
Hi,
I always wanted to do medicine at uni mainly because my parents want me to do it because it is "the best" etc... but I don't like it, I am very interested in Engineering, physics and maths and the course I am thinking about doing is BE/BSc at UNSW or BE(R&D)/BSc at ANU.

There are many types of engineering (the main and most versatile ones are mech, civil, electrical, computer, chem and I think environmental) and many kinds of jobs that you can do as an engineer. There is technical work, managing, consulting, teaching and finally research and development. People who do managing usually do BE/BCommerce which is something I am personally not interested in at all. I'm personally interested in research which is why I want to combine it with BSc (Physics + Maths).

There are many industries that you can work in i.e. defense industries, energy and power industries, high-tech electronic industries, advanced manufacturing industries, robotics and material science, transport industries, and communication industries.

There are other types of engineering that you might be interested in such as bio-medical, mechatronics, aerospace, nuclear, mining, petroleum etc... but it's sometimes harder to get jobs in these fields because they are very specialized (except mining because very few people do it so it's in demand).

Last edited:

Currybear

HSC
Thanks for the replys, what does BE(R&D)/BS and BSc (Physics + Maths), i assume bachelor of science?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Thanks for the replys, what does BE(R&D)/BS and BSc (Physics + Maths), i assume bachelor of science?
Bsc = bachelor of science. BE(R&D) = Research and Development which is a really prestigious course at ANU.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)