HSC 2013 MX2 Marathon (archive) (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
Re: HSC 2013 4U Marathon

That is one case of it, yes.

I should of extended the question to:

So yeah consider if -1 is the first or the last term etc.
When x=-1 is first root

roots: -1, -1+d, -1+2d

-1 (d-1)(2d-1) = -1

2d^2 - 3d=0
d(2d-3) =0
d=0 (done that) d= 3/2

therefore roots: -1, -1 +3/2, -1 +3

When x=-1 is last root

roots: -1- 2d, -1 -d, -1

(2d+1)(d+1)=1
2d^2 +3d=0
d(2d+3)=0
d=0 (done that) d=-3/2

therefore roots: -1 +3, -1 + 3/2, -1

but then...roots do not satisfy equation S(x)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

When x=-1 is first root

roots: -1, -1+d, -1+2d

-1 (d-1)(2d-1) = -1

2d^2 - 3d=0
d(2d-3) =0
d=0 (done that) d= 3/2

therefore roots: -1, -1 +3/2, -1 +3

When x=-1 is last root

roots: -1- 2d, -1 -d, -1

(2d+1)(d+1)=1
2d^2 +3d=0
d(2d+3)=0
d=0 (done that) d=-3/2

therefore roots: -1 +3, -1 + 3/2, -1

but then...roots do not satisfy equation S(x)
Yes this is what I intended but it seems that the roots do not work....

Can a math pro please explain why this is the case?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

This is because we have a Symmetric Polynomial (sometimes also called a Reciprocal Polynomial due to nature of the roots), and a distinguishing feature of them is that if x is a root, then 1/x is also a root. This is easily proven by finding P(1/x).

So the three possible cases you have there ARE correct, except only one of them satisfy the rule that if x is a root, then 1/x is also a root.

The only one that satisfies this, is when the three roots are x=-1 -1 and -1 (ie: triple root). It is in arithmetic progression, in the sense that 0 is the common difference and -1 is the starting value.

seanieg89

HSC

And it shouldn't be surprising. You have used information about the poly. to give you an equation d must satisfy. This does NOT mean that every solution of this equation is a valid value for d.

This is an example of "if" vs "only if".

(And also an illustration of how it is often nicer to make symmetric choices: ie a-d,a,a+d vs a,a+d,a+2d.)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

This is because we have a Symmetric Polynomial (sometimes also called a Reciprocal Polynomial due to nature of the roots), and a distinguishing feature of them is that if x is a root, then 1/x is also a root. This is easily proven by finding P(1/x).

So the three possible cases you have there ARE correct, except only one of them satisfy the rule that if x is a root, then 1/x is also a root.

The only one that satisfies this, is when the three roots are x=-1 -1 and -1 (ie: triple root). It is in arithmetic progression, in the sense that 0 is the common difference and -1 is the starting value.
And it shouldn't be surprising. You have used information about the poly. to give you an equation d must satisfy. This does NOT mean that every solution of this equation is a valid value for d.

This is an example of "if" vs "only if".

(And also an illustration of how it is often nicer to make symmetric choices: ie a-d,a,a+d vs a,a+d,a+2d.)
Alright thanks guys

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC

Also note it is a cubic, hence it can only have 3 roots. If we were to take all cases, we would end up with many more roots, so only some will work.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC

LET m BE A POSITIVE INTEGER

^FOR 0< <

DEDUCE THAT:

I will post up my solution for part d) if someone uses a different method compared to mine :D

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Heroic your reasoning for the why it is (-4)^n is wrong but all up until the last part is right. Rethink what it means whether n is odd or even.

I will do your question now.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

LET m BE A POSITIVE INTEGER

^FOR 0< <

DEDUCE THAT:

I will post up my solution for part d) if someone uses a different method compared to mine :D
Good question, I'll type necessary details:

a)

Equate imaginary parts and the solution falls out. We get the last term as (-1)^m as i^(odd) will either be -i or -1. And since we equate imaginary parts we disregard -i.

b)

Sub in P(x). AND multiply both sides by

We end up with:

In order for P(x) to be zero,
And we arrive at:

Now sub that back into x it self, notice how I made x= cot squared theta.

So when we sub it back in, we arrive at the result we are trying to prove. k is valid only for 1, 2, 3 ... m because there are m roots.

c)

Simply do sum of all roots:

Which after simplification yields the given result.

d)

We are given that theta is positive, hence we can produce the argument that:

Let theta be the respective term for each sequence. We arrive at the result that (after simplification). We are justified in shifting since we only shift the positive.

Take (2m+1)^2 / pi^2 common, then shift stuff to respective sides, then multiply whole thing by 1/2

We yield the required result.

====

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC

WOAH! NICE! GOOD WORK!

What i did was, i let

So,

both sides

RE-arrange times both sides by

I skipped many steps to save time

OK- can u explain the part when u wrote AFTER

"Let theta be the respective term for each sequence. We arrive at the result after simplification. We are justified in shifting since we only shift the positive."

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

WOAH! NICE!

What i did was, i let

So,

both sides

RE-arrange times both sides by

OK- can u explain the part when u wrote

"Let theta be the respective term for each sequence. We arrive at the result after simplification. We are justified in shifting since we only shift the positive."
I cant be bothered writing the whole sequence out for each theta, so I will do this:

Let

Basically the same thing you did

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

Wasn't that part of the CSSA 2012 Q16? Or the final question of a past HSC paper? It looks very familiar.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC

Wasn't that part of the CSSA 2012 Q16? Or the final question of a past HSC paper? It looks very familiar.
I don't know lol, i got it from tutoring handout

EDIT: if it is and u have the answers, can u post it up? i wanna see what they did :D

Last edited:

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC

Hmm so the CSSA q16 was different, but the 'Deduce that' was in there, as the third last part or something.

bleakarcher

HSC

Hmm so the CSSA q16 was different, but the 'Deduce that' was in there, as the third last part or something.
The exact question is found in Q7 of a past HSC paper from memory, 2002/3 maybe.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC

Nope, CSSA Q16 was a real finding the Basel Problem rather than just the expression in this case.

Though for the result at the end of Heroic's question, I have a question for the maths pros

If I take the limit to infinity of the RHS of Heroic's last result. I get the sum of squares of the reciprocals of the natural numbers (basel problem) (since the fraction on the very right converges to 1). How would I prove that at m infinite the inequality becomes equality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)