• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Uni timetables (1 Viewer)

jamjar31

HSC
Wait, so when do these standardised timetables come out? And where/when do I go to re-organise it?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
For HKspec009 - this is a sample timetable as promised. It seems that you may have full days (if you include your mathematics UoS) but you can take days off (the days filled with lectures only). You did not specify if you wished to undertake standard or advanced units... so sorry for that. :S

B Medical Science @ USyd - Semester One/Two (Standard Units of Study):

Sample Timetable (S1):
CHEM1001 | Lecture: Tue 9.00, Wed 9.00 and Thu 9.00 | Practical: Tue 10.00 - 13.00
PHYS1001 | Lecture: Mon 14.00, Wed 14.00 and Thu 14.00 | Lab: Mon 10.00 - 13.00
OR
PSYC1001 | Lecture: Mon 12.00, Thu 13.00 and Mon 15.00 | Tutorial: Mon 10.00

BIOL1001 | Lecture: Mon 9.00 and Thu 15.00 | Practical: Wed 10.00 - 13.00 | General/Quiz: Fri 13.00
OR
BIOL1003 | Lecture: Mon 14.00, Thu 10.00 and Fri 10.00 (Week 7,9 to 12) | Practical/Workshop: Wed 10.00 – 13.00

[CHOOSE MATHEMATIC UNITS! EITHER 2 UoS x 3cp OR 1 UoS x 6cp]

Sample Timetable (S2):
CHEM1002 | Lecture: Tue 9.00, Wed 12.00 and Thu 9.00 | Practical: Tue 10.00 - 13.00
PSYC1002 | Lecture: Mon 10.00, Tue 13.00 and Thu 10.00 | Tutorial: Mon 11.00
MBLG1001 | Lecture: Tue 14.00 and Thu 12.00 | Practical/Tutorial: Mon 13.00 - 17.00
[CHOOSE MATHEMATIC UNITS! EITHER 2 UoS x 3cp OR 1 UoS x 6cp]

HKspec009

HSC
Thanks passionxmusic, just 4 questions:
1) If i'm reading it right, on a Thursday i will have- Chem at 9, Psych at 1 and Bio at 3 plus any possible maths lecture. Is this the right way to look at it and are all these lectures 1hr.
2) What is the difference between Biol1001 and biol1003 and when picking maths uos can you pick any? (the easiest ones possible)
3) Also, what are main differences between standard and advanced units? Difficulty, weighting and is possible to drop them if they are too hard?
4) When you say ((but you can take days off (the days filled with lectures only)). Wouldn't you miss out on a lot?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Thanks passionxmusic, just 4 questions:
1) If i'm reading it right, on a Thursday i will have- Chem at 9, Psych at 1 and Bio at 3 plus any possible maths lecture. Is this the right way to look at it and are all these lectures 1hr.
2) What is the difference between Biol1001 and biol1003 and when picking maths uos can you pick any? (the easiest ones possible)
3) Also, what are main differences between standard and advanced units? Difficulty, weighting and is possible to drop them if they are too hard?
4) When you say ((but you can take days off (the days filled with lectures only)). Wouldn't you miss out on a lot?
1. Yes and most lectures are 1hrs unless otherwise stated on the unit outline.
2. BIOL1001 is a concepts/introduction unit whereas BIOL1003 is a little more advanced and is based on the human anatomy and physiology - so if you're an Anatomy and Histology major like me or anything similar then this is the unit to undertake for basic understanding.
3. Nearly all advanced units are difficult so unless you have a Band 5-6 in a subject such as Chemistry etc then it is not recommended. The weighting for assessments are usually different and sometimes you may have an extra assessment to those of standard UoS. Yes, you will be able to drop out of advanced units for standard units as long as it is done before the census date of each semester.
4. Depends if you are able to catch up with the unit in your spare time. I always skip out on my electives and manage to gain a distinction grade - but that is up to you to decide if you're able to catch up or not.

Hope this makes things clearer. Also like I said, I have PSYC1001/PSYC1002 and BIOL1003 notes if you want a sneak peek to what you're up for. :)

HKspec009

HSC
Hope this makes things clearer. Also like I said, I have PSYC1001/PSYC1002 and BIOL1003 notes if you want a sneak peek to what you're up for. :)
Thanks, it has made things a lot more clearer. As for the notes, i am an opportunist so if you are willing, it would be much appreciated and even if you are not it's all good as you have already helped me so much.
Btw, i was thinking of majoring in Anatomy but is it on its own or "Anatomy & histology " ?
Also, is it better to take advanced uos if you are capable, is it worth it? Will it help out for later on or something?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Yes and most lectures are 1hrs unless otherwise stated on the unit outline.
2. BIOL1001 is a concepts/introduction unit whereas BIOL1003 is a little more advanced and is based on the human anatomy and physiology - so if you're an Anatomy and Histology major like me or anything similar then this is the unit to undertake for basic understanding.
3. Nearly all advanced units are difficult so unless you have a Band 5-6 in a subject such as Chemistry etc then it is not recommended. The weighting for assessments are usually different and sometimes you may have an extra assessment to those of standard UoS. Yes, you will be able to drop out of advanced units for standard units as long as it is done before the census date of each semester.
4. Depends if you are able to catch up with the unit in your spare time. I always skip out on my electives and manage to gain a distinction grade - but that is up to you to decide if you're able to catch up or not.

Yeah, this is all pretty spot on.

BIOL notes would be helpful. *cough, cough*

I mainly just want like the lecture slides or something so I know what the course outline is and what all the tasks are worth. :spin:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, it has made things a lot more clearer. As for the notes, i am an opportunist so if you are willing, it would be much appreciated and even if you are not it's all good as you have already helped me so much.
Btw, i was thinking of majoring in Anatomy but is it on its own or "Anatomy & histology " ?
Also, is it better to take advanced uos if you are capable, is it worth it? Will it help out for later on or something?
only do advanced if you got like band 6s and are planning on doing the work.
The finals are a lot harder but that's about it (I think biol has a few harder reports and phys has like an extra topic of work).

It's anatomy & histology because histology is just the anatomy of cells. So like #yolo

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Sure, I disabled my PM so I'll need an email address - preferably one that is not of personal use. Hope it helps you decide ~

Yeah, this is all pretty spot on.

BIOL notes would be helpful. *cough, cough*

I mainly just want like the lecture slides or something so I know what the course outline is and what all the tasks are worth. :spin:
All lecture slides are inside my notebook so if you're gonna be at O-Week I can give them to you. But other than that I have notes and sample final exams - just need an email address (not a personal one).

HSC
I only have one unit I can play around with Minoans and Mycenaeans and I was thinking about doing BIOL1003 instead. Right now I think I want to pursue bioarchaeology but I don't want to get at the end of my degree, start a post grad and be all LOL NOPE. NOT FOR ME. Figured it might be a good idea to try it earlier on and see if I like it. I haven't done science since Year 10 though. Bad idea?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
I only have one unit I can play around with Minoans and Mycenaeans and I was thinking about doing BIOL1003 instead. Right now I think I want to pursue bioarchaeology but I don't want to get at the end of my degree, start a post grad and be all LOL NOPE. NOT FOR ME. Figured it might be a good idea to try it earlier on and see if I like it. I haven't done science since Year 10 though. Bad idea?
I am sure anyone would be able to do BIOL1003 regardless of a scientific background or none at all. Oh, what Post-Grad do you plan on undertaking? I am still deciding between Master of Diagnostic Radiography or Medical Sonography (if I cannot get through with Grad Med or JD).

Last edited:
HSC
I am sure anyone would be able to do BIOL1003 regardless of a scientific background or none at all. Oh, what Post-Grad do you plan on undertaking? I am still deciding between Master of Diagnostic Radiography or Medical Sonography (if I cannot get through with Grad Med or JD).
I'd probably go overseas and do a Masters in Bio/osteoarchaeology. That's the goal anyway.

HKspec009

HSC
Thanks passionxmusic, the notes are really good and i find it really interesting. Some parts i already know which is a bonus and is why i was able to answer some of the questions on the sample papers.
Are most tests multiple choice like that and are the bold parts the syllabus point required to be known by the student?

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Thanks passionxmusic, the notes are really good and i find it really interesting. Some parts i already know which is a bonus and is why i was able to answer some of the questions on the sample papers.
Are most tests multiple choice like that and are the bold parts the syllabus point required to be known by the student?
LOL nopes, I bolded particular lines as headlines. Glad they helped. :D

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
All lecture slides are inside my notebook so if you're gonna be at O-Week I can give them to you. But other than that I have notes and sample final exams - just need an email address (not a personal one).
riproot@hotmail.com

Yay

Thnx bby

It depends on whether I get into med though (I won't)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Hey passion could you send the notes to me as well?
Still contemplating what units to do but think anatomy units look interesting!!!

iismoothie@gmail.com

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
The human biology final was a bit of a joke, don't stress over it too much. It's 55 basic multiple choice questions quite a few of which have obviously wrong answers. The exam also lasts for TWO HOURS.

The independent report was marked a bit harshly (12% lost over a small citation dispute) and the group project sucked.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)