O Week 2013 - Sydney University (2 Viewers)

witide

HSC
I guess this is an opportune time to let people know that you only need an access card to be an official member of clubs and get discounts. I've spent two years without a card and still turned up to events, just without the benefits of free pizza and drinks. The clubs have been nice in my experience and have always put non-members on their mailing lists and given information about what they're planning.

engineering

HSC
N/A
LOL faculty welcomes, what a joke. Don't bother.
IT would probably surprise many BOSers how many university students have some type of problem/trouble/issue at uni and also say "I wish someone had told me about this or that or such and such". A significant part of the faculty welcome is to let all students know about the various support services around. I would suggest everyone go to as many of the varied talks around uni in o-week, as you never know when you might need them.

zxreth

HSC
IT would probably surprise many BOSers how many university students have some type of problem/trouble/issue at uni and also say "I wish someone had told me about this or that or such and such". A significant part of the faculty welcome is to let all students know about the various support services around. I would suggest everyone go to as many of the varied talks around uni in o-week, as you never know when you might need them.
My "faculty welcome" had nothing to do with various support services around. It was IDENTICAL to the lecture/talk given to us on info day.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Anyone interested in an O-Week meat?
Always. Cept make it an afternoon thing because I'll be working.

Only time I use it is when I'm joining clubs, buying coffee and eating food from Wentworth coz my friends and I CBB walking to Newtown. So yeah, I would not recommend buying it unless you are constantly using it. D:

ADD ON: For Sci Soc members - do we have to renew our membership or do we only need to purchase a new shirt for the free BBQ? Because I ended up wearing last year's shirt as part of my PJs.
Do you not drink either???

With faculty societies, you're automatically a member (even without access) so you don't need to renew membership, they'll keep sending you the emails, but you will need to buy a new shirt as has been said :)

We still have to buy access cards? Where is the money from my SSA fee going?
Towards improving various facilities and support services. There have been a whole lot of ~issues~ with the uni not wanting to supplement funding of the union anymore.

I'm getting mixed feeling about access card...should get? or no..
Personally, being part of clubs and societies has had a huge impact on my social life at uni and I like the benefits of getting free drinks/pizza/whatever that going to club meetings with an access card allows. It also lets me do a radio show as being an official member of a club. I attend gigs at Manning on occassion so get a discount for that too. And there's a whole lot of off campus places you can get discounts. I'd definitely save the $90/yr.

Would you like to join clubs/societies? My friends usually rely on me (I have an access card) for on-campus discounts. The price is jaw-dropping I know but the discounts are good/descent. :D
On campus discounts are 15% as standard, but the off campus discounts are a bit more varied.

zb123

HSC
To join clubs/ societies, is an acess card needed or not? If we are not interested in the 15% discounts etc, and most likely won't drink that much during university, is it worth getting the card or not? At the most I will join like law society, business society, debating, maybe a few sporting teams. SO is it worthwhile / compulsory or what? THanks!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
^ You can join their mail subscription list but I don't think you'll be able to be an official member. It is not compulsory... and you can still go to club events for a small fee. :p

zb123

HSC
so, most first year students get the access card - of the one;s who WANT to join societies etc?

HSC
I'll probably see how many I want to join before deciding to get an access card or not. Although, I do plan on drinking...everything so that might factor in. I've been at uni a couple years now and never really got into the club/society thing. Might as well give it a go.

izzy88

HSC
To join clubs/ societies, is an acess card needed or not? If we are not interested in the 15% discounts etc, and most likely won't drink that much during university, is it worth getting the card or not? At the most I will join like law society, business society, debating, maybe a few sporting teams. SO is it worthwhile / compulsory or what? THanks!
Law society is a faculty society. It's free to join a faculty society. I think business is as well.

Others like debating you will need to purchase an access card.

Sports however are different and are run by the Sports Union. You will need to join that separately to join any sports clubs - membership is around $50 for the year.

I personally think joining societies is a great way to meet people and have some fun at Uni - I've had an access card every year I've been at Uni (the past 6 years).

froogle

HSC
N/A
Campus food is OK but there are so many more and better options nearby that are significantly cheaper on days you decide to eat out. Its usually just a 5-10 min walk away. Otherwise just bring food from home - a much cheaper option.

So in reality, DON'T GET AN ACCESS CARD ONLY FOR FOOD ON CAMPUS DISCOUNTS IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO USE IT OFTEN.
Another good tip is just borrow someone else's one to get those discounts. I do this often ;)

As for O week, drop by UNSW's one. There is so much freebies and night events all throughout the week. My friend (at UNSW) got me to come on one of the days and it was a lot of fun!!!

J18134

HSC
Best campus food is definitely Ralphs out of the places ive eaten at (older sibling at usyd and spent some time doing hsc study there)

Hey what happens if youre doing a bridging course during o week?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
The biomed engineering welcome was pointless apart from the tour around (which isn't around anywhere you will have class until 3rd year) and that was only because we got to see stuff that was built and stuff. Nothing super great.

The science welcome was POINTLESS, awful, overcrowded, and shit. (apart from doctor Karl)

Yay!

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Pretty sure you have time to roam around whilst doing a bridging course. :p At least go for the amusement park rides the union hired.

Aysce

HSC
Is there like a deadline to apply for a bridging course or something? I probs should do it soon.

J18134

HSC
How much will one get to do at O week if they have a bridging course running through it with only an hour break? Additionally what time does it 'run' to every day?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)