Study timetable (1 Viewer)

speedybugger1

HSC
I don't have free periods in my day, I finish at 3PM. What is an appropriate study schedule that I can make, to factor in all my subjects?
I understand one must finish all homework from the day before commencing any other study. After this is done, should I aim to complete maybe 1.5 hours for 2 subjects each day?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Definitely do homework before studying, but how often or long you study is something you have to decide on yourself. Depends on what your goals are and how you are currently performing. 1.5 hours split between a couple of subjects each day sounds like a good idea and is definitely sustainable over the year.

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I always preferred goal based study, and also that factored for assessment/exam periods where you have an elevated work load. It also let me have leeway if one night I had to help out with family things, or go to a compulsory school event etc.

However, if you are a timetable person and can set it realistically, they can be very effective, provided you have appropriate breaks factored in.

How much you study depends on how your performance is relative to your goals. Also some of your subjects (i.e MX2) may take more time than your other subs.

enoilgam

HSC
I don't have free periods in my day, I finish at 3PM. What is an appropriate study schedule that I can make, to factor in all my subjects?
I understand one must finish all homework from the day before commencing any other study. After this is done, should I aim to complete maybe 1.5 hours for 2 subjects each day?
I wouldnt study to a time, I would study based on goals. Look over your subjects and make a plan of what you need to do in order to properly learn and understand the content. Once you have done that, then focus on how to organise your work.

zb123

HSC
Goal based study is useless. Do time-based study. I know people here recommend goal-based, but realistically, you can never be fully prepared for a subject - no matter what, there is always more you can study. There's no point setting goals of doing 5 essays, if you have 3 hours to spare. Do it time-based, and mostly base it around assessments that are coming up or minis/trials. This worked for me, and my results (99.95) speak for themself.

jarrodoliver1

HSC
I wouldnt study to a time, I would study based on goals. Look over your subjects and make a plan of what you need to do in order to properly learn and understand the content. Once you have done that, then focus on how to organise your work.
What would be an example of a gold to achieve while studying?

SunnyScience

HSC
1. Revise Induction for Mx1
2. Read Chapters 10-15 of Frankenstein
3. Finish Section 2 of 'The Acidic Environment' notes

etc etc.

*Happy 500th Post for me.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Stuff like writing an essay for one of your english modules, learning something you didn't understand in class, writing notes on a few dot points, knocking over an assignment that's not due tomorrow etc.

golgo13

Alchemist
HSC
To be honest it doesn't matter if you time study or goal study, as you can't really account for the variations of workload and study required. My advice keep yourself flexible. Base it on priorities and severity. Question you might ask are, Do i understand it?, Do i require further time on it?, Are my grades dropping in this particular subject?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Goal based study is useless. Do time-based study. I know people here recommend goal-based, but realistically, you can never be fully prepared for a subject - no matter what, there is always more you can study. There's no point setting goals of doing 5 essays, if you have 3 hours to spare. Do it time-based, and mostly base it around assessments that are coming up or minis/trials. This worked for me, and my results (99.95) speak for themself.
Lol, I think you'll find it's served quite a large amount of BoSers well. I did say in my post, some people like to do timetables and that study, but it can lend to some people to taking longer to do tasks then need be. You can always set alot of goals that make up a large study time, you can have weekly goals that can fit quite alot to tick off in a week.

And I bolded the last part because it came up as high and mighty as. Great it worked for you, but everyone finds different things to work for them in the HSC! 99.95 is not a trump card to be the absolute holy trinity on all things education...

1. Revise Induction for Mx1
2. Read Chapters 10-15 of Frankenstein
3. Finish Section 2 of 'The Acidic Environment' notes

etc etc.

*Happy 500th Post for me.
Goals can be pretty diverse, examples to add to Sunny's ;
1) Do 5 maths past papers
2) Read Modern History Historian readings
3) Finish first half of Chemistry Research Assignment
4) Read Ch 1-5 of Romulus My Father, note relevant quotes or insights to belonging along the way

To be honest it doesn't matter if you time study or goal study, as you can't really account for the variations of workload and study required. My advice keep yourself flexible. Base it on priorities and severity. Question you might ask are, Do i understand it?, Do i require further time on it?, Are my grades dropping in this particular subject?
That's why I liked goal based because for the subject I needed more work in, I'd have more things to do.

HSC
update your notes for your subjects everyday or atleast in the weekend, make's it much easier so in the 2 wk holidays you can study past papers/essays

Pete1555

HSC
Will you guys recommend 3 subjects a night for study after homework, or is 2 plenty.

For example:
-MONDAY: Homework + Mathematics and Geography
-TUESDAY: Homework + IPT and Business Studies
-WEDNESDAY: Homework + Modern History and English
-THURSDAY: Homwork + Geography and Business Studies
etc.... However, would study involve just writing notes and learning them, or would it involve more like doing past papers etc... [For this time of the year (term 1)]
Thanks! I didnt want to make another thread as it will clutter the section with similar questions.

P.S. I Wish Everyone the Best for this Year!

aceer

HSC
I plan on doing notes first then past papers closer to the half yearlys

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Will you guys recommend 3 subjects a night for study after homework, or is 2 plenty.

For example:
etc.... However, would study involve just writing notes and learning them, or would it involve more like doing past papers etc... [For this time of the year (term 1)]
Thanks! I didnt want to make another thread as it will clutter the section with similar questions.

I preferred to do two generally, cause I liked to settle into a subject for awhile. Some like to mix it more to keep away boredom, but your productivity goes doing that too much.

deswa1

HSC
I disagree with this. Homework isn't something that you have to do and I never treated it differently to any other form of study. If the homework will help you, do it. If it won't, don't do it and do whatever other random study you have instead. Year 12 isn't the time to be wasting time on useless crap because your teachers don't know how you learn and want to overload you. Homework + 3 hours a day is quite a bit of work. I always worked to a goal and never set rigid time goals. Some days I might do an hour, others 5. Generally I would aim to revise the stuff we did at school that day to make sure I understood all the concepts. Do however much you feel you need to be prepared for exams.

Also I never did just 2 subjects or just 1 subject etc. I would look at what the problem area was (say I needed to work on my circle geo) and I would do that. If I had time at the end, I might do other subs, I might not. Some days I would have studied 4 subs, others only 1 etc. My point is don't be too rigid- a rigid structure isn't that helpful imo and its harder to keep.

I also disagree with this and my results (99.95) also speak for themselves :p. The problem with time based study for most people is that the work expands to fit the time allocated. So if you have 5 hours of work to do and you've done your work in 3 hours, the remaining two hours won't be productive + you'll also work slower because you know that whether you work hard or not, you still have to sit at your desk for X hours. If you do goal based though, you know that at the end of the day you've covered all the stuff you want + you don't feel bad about taking time off to go out with friends etc. because you've done all the study you need.

Having said this, I can see where you're coming from- if you are proper dedicated and can focus for the full length of your time, then time based is very effective; its just that most people (and myself included) can't.

For example:

This all depends on YOU and how YOU learn. Personally I never wrote my own notes- I would read others and understand them. I also never did full papers for any sub bar maths. I would prefer more to just flick through papers and then read sample answers etc. A lot of people did a lot of other things. My point is, there's no real secret to the HSC- its a personal thing. Learn how you learn best and do that

Last edited:

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
^A fine post from the Tech King.

Some really great advice, important for people to approach the HSC individually and it's about what gets you to understand the concepts and able to perform what you need to do come exam time.

loaves

HSC
I disagree with this. Homework isn't something that you have to do and I never treated it differently to any other form of study. If the homework will help you, do it. If it won't, don't do it and do whatever other random study you have instead. Year 12 isn't the time to be wasting time on useless crap because your teachers don't know how you learn and want to overload you.
Yep. And in my experience, teachers are generally understanding about not doing HW if you studied the content in your own way and absorbed everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)