are these subjects good scalers? (1 Viewer)

ronnie hsc

HSC
im positive i will do good with these subjects btw i was never a science guy lol

English standard
general maths
business studies
legal studies
pdhpe
ancient history

in english and maths in year 10 i was a really good student mostly coming 2nd or 3rd rank
i find maths and English super easy right now literally proply get like 100 percent.

i chose business and legal because i did commerce in year 9-10 and had very high interest in it
and i always used to ace history so i chose ancient hehe :)

are there good scalers if i get 80-85 in all these subjects?

crazy_paki123

HSC
I dont know about Ancient History or PDHPE, but Standard English, General Maths, business and legal are all horrific in terms of scaling.

ronnie hsc

HSC
yeah im finding maths so simple but i really hate maths thats why i choose general, but yeah im pretty sure that i will get 85 and over in maths and english

crazy_paki123

HSC
i think u should srsly consider doing 2U maths, just to make ur marks better, if u find it too hard then drop after like a low score or if ur not satisfied with ur progress. IMO if u get b5 or b6 ur doing well in Std English, but its definitley achievable to get b6s in gen maths, legal, business, ancient and pdhpe. Mind you in NSW only 30-50 students achieve a b6 in std english

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
I'd say push yourself and go for 2U maths, it really isn't that hard as long as you understand the work

enoilgam

HSC
This combination is probably average to below average in terms of scaling. Also, the nature of standard will also limit you in terms of final marks. What effect it will have on your ATAR largely depends on your specific aim.

I dont understand why you picked General Maths and in particular Standard English. If you were doing so well at it in junior school, you should have tried doing 2 unit and Advanced for the HSC. Besides, the difference in difficulty between Standard and Advanced isnt that much.

ronnie hsc

HSC
yeah i am actually considering changing to 2u maths tomorrow, and thanks for telling me about only 30-50 students get band 6s in english

funstudy

HSC
DO ENGLISH ADVANCED. Unless you're 100% not confident with English.
Same goes for Maths.
Also business, legal and pdhpe aren't that great in terms of scaling.

ronnie hsc

HSC
yeah iam going to join the 2unit class for maths tommorow, and i picked gereral because i didnt like maths and maybe if i just bludged and did well in it my atar wouldnt be bad, but today i asked my teacher what were were learning this year and i looked and everything was just simple and iam so bored in class learning about earning money :/ i dont really no about english

enoilgam

HSC
yeah iam going to join the 2unit class for maths tommorow, and i picked gereral because i didnt like maths and maybe if i just bludged and did well in it my atar wouldnt be bad, but today i asked my teacher what were were learning this year and i looked and everything was just simple and iam so bored in class learning about earning money :/ i dont really no about english
To be honest, I would really try to get out of standard if I were you. But moving up to 2 unit definitely seems like a good move.

ronnie hsc

HSC
btw guys im aiming for and 80-85 atar, i was never a science guy my subjects arnt that good at scaling but if i do good in them i guess they would be good enough to get me a good atar.

deloving

HSC
Did someone else pick those subjects for you. 2nd-3rd rank doing Standard and General?

ronnie hsc

HSC
I might ask a few year 12 friends tommorow what advanced is like, but 100% going to 2unit maths tommorow

ronnie hsc

HSC
well no not really i asked my brother if he like english and maths he did standard,general and still got and 91 as an atar so i though wow, it is attainable

sinan4life

HSC
Standard English is known as an Atar killer! i definitely recommend you switching to English Advanced. only like 20-60 people each year get a band 6 in Std English, compared to 3000 peeps in Advanced. its far easier to score a band 6 in Advanced than in Std i reckon. well atleast the statistics say so. http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2011_12_15130.html
only a mere 0.16% get a band 6 in Std while 13.3% got a band 6 in Advanced.

aekryan

HSC
I might ask a few year 12 friends tommorow what advanced is like, but 100% going to 2unit maths tommorow

DOnt listen to what people say about the scaling. The only exception to this is standered english, art, drama, those obvious things. Anceint, legal and other social sceinces are subjects that the past 2 duxes at my school have taken with atars of 99.7+.. and probably more but i only remember the last two.

What is weighing down my atar is my adv math and chemistry right now where i expect a band 5 at best.. pick what you will be good at and a decent scaling. Go to advanced english though, cant stress this enough.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
In order of priority:

1) Please get into Adv English-Std is a killer due to its aligning.
2) 2U maths if you're finding general so easy. General does not not have the killer aligning thing as per Std, but the scaling of General is terrible.

The other subs are all fine as they are slightly below average-average scalers.

Eg155

HSC
[/B]

DOnt listen to what people say about the scaling. The only exception to this is standered english, art, drama, those obvious things. Anceint, legal and other social sceinces are subjects that the past 2 duxes at my school have taken with atars of 99.7+.. and probably more but i only remember the last two.

What is weighing down my atar is my adv math and chemistry right now where i expect a band 5 at best.. pick what you will be good at and a decent scaling. Go to advanced english though, cant stress this enough.
no, the only exception to scaling is standard English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)