Value of the argument (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
According to the Terry Lee book (Page 36), it reads:

"The angle Theta is called the argument, -pi < Theta <= pi or -180 < Theta <= 180"

I don't understand why arg(z) can't equal to -pi?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
According to the Terry Lee book (Page 36), it reads:

"The angle Theta is called the argument, -pi < Theta <= pi or -180 < Theta <= 180"

I don't understand why arg(z) can't equal to -pi?
Isn't it so each complex number can be represented uniquely in that form?

With that restriction, each complex number becomes unique. Or else you get things like -1 = cis(pi) = cis(-pi).

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
The angles pi and -pi are effectively the same on the plane

You can also define the principal argument -pi < theta < pi but it is more conventional to include pi rather than -pi.

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
But why is it one or the other, why can't we have -pi >= Theta >= pi?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
But why is it one or the other, why can't we have -pi >= Theta >= pi?
Its just by the definition of the principal argument which serves the purpose of uniquely defining the angle within a convenient domain

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
To clarify for those, the argument of a complex number can be angle outside the restriction of theta

However the principle argument must be strictly defined with the boundary you have stated sometimes denoted as Arg(z)

Last edited:

Aysce

HSC
did you not read my post :(
I did haha but I was thinking along the lines of "the circle" even though yours is essentially what asianese mentioned :p

dw bby i wont ignore u

To clarify for those, the argument of a complex number can be angle

However the principle argument must be strictly defined with the boundary you have stated.
Oh, so within -180 < @ <= 180?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Another way to think of it is as a 'base' of a general argument. For example for some integer k

We need to uniquely define the principal argument as the either the case where k = 0 or k = -1, not both at the same time

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I did haha but I was thinking along the lines of "the circle" even though yours is essentially what asianese mentioned :p

dw bby i wont ignore u

Oh, so within -180 < @ <= 180?
The principle argument is that, however the argument of a complex number can be greater than 180 or less than -180

There are technically infinite arguments for a complex number, however you're after the principle argument don't use the terms intechangably

Aysce

HSC
Another way to think of it is as a 'base' of a general argument. For example for some integer k

We need to uniquely define the principal argument as the either the case where k = 0 or k = -1, not both at the same time
Oh okay, I understand :)

The principle argument is that, however the argument of a complex number can be greater than 180 or less than -180

There are technically infinite arguments for a complex number, however you're after the principle argument don't use the terms intechangably
Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

seanieg89

HSC
Reiterating what others have said in a different way:

Think of it as sort of like why we write

not

We make an arbitrary choice although there are two numbers that could be considered a square root of 1.

Analogously, there are infinitely many numbers that could be considered the "argument" of -1. One relatively convenient choice is pi, so we define that to be the principal argument.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)