Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Examine

same
HSC
Generally at what time of the year do most mid tier firms open their applications?

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Whats the pay difference between big 4 and mid tier?
In terms of cadetship pay I can tell you there's not much difference. Once you start as a graduate after uni and progress through,it's said you're more likely to be "promoted" in a mid-tier then a big 4(more attention given, plus more clients). Big 4 pay is usually better at the top end,and even though you're in a better "position" in a mid-tier, the pay isn't too different to a big 4 in the first few years.

I'm probably off in a sentence, have Seremify tell you the actual details. Alternatively,you can ask these questions at the cadetship evening, save it as talk+shows you're interested. I didn't think of enough questions in the year 10-11 business night event, and unfortunately I was asking the same questions which mostly had the same answers.

missdiorcherie

HSC
N/A
nah youll be fine, pretty much everyone who applies for a cadetship gets one, they are really not that hard to get.
This is a bit awkward, I didn't even get an interview for most of the ones I applied for last year. And I have a gpa of 6..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In terms of cadetship pay I can tell you there's not much difference. Once you start as a graduate after uni and progress through,it's said you're more likely to be "promoted" in a mid-tier then a big 4(more attention given, plus more clients). Big 4 pay is usually better at the top end,and even though you're in a better "position" in a mid-tier, the pay isn't too different to a big 4 in the first few years.
In my experience, mid-tiers pay better than big 4 at the junior levels (i.e. cadet through to grad). For example, back in my day, I was on $34k in my 2nd year as a cadet whereas my peers in Moore Stephens were on $38k. ($4k isn't much but as a % it is)

That being said, once you get to say, experienced associate or senior associate/accountant level it starts to grow in the big 4 favour (note: different firms have different emphasis on this- e.g. it's automatic promotion in some mid-tiers and some big4, but in others it's business-case/criteria-based). At manager level and higher, even amongst the big 4 there can be a more sizeable variance between the firms (about 20% difference).

I'm probably off in a sentence, have Seremify tell you the actual details. Alternatively,you can ask these questions at the cadetship evening, save it as talk+shows you're interested. I didn't think of enough questions in the year 10-11 business night event, and unfortunately I was asking the same questions which mostly had the same answers.
I personally wouldn't be asking about pay at the ICAA night- could give off the wrong impression IMO.

This is a bit awkward, I didn't even get an interview for most of the ones I applied for last year. And I have a gpa of 6..
It's not just the academics which count though- that's usually just one of the sections they are interested in.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
When applying for the cadetship, the service lines are advisory, assurance, tax and transactions right? Is it harder to get a cadetship in transactions compared to advisory or assurance as they seem to be more popular? I'm more interested in transactions compared to the others.

Examine

same
HSC
Does the location of the firm matter too much in terms of travel from uni to the firm and vice versa? (when undertaking both work and uni). Also I guess this is an open question for everyone. What has made you want to pursue accounting and to try get a cadetship?

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Is it bad if i wait long to apply because I haven't got my yr 12 report yet?
The recruiters know you don't have your report yet and the applications are only open for a limited time (i.e. they close before you get your report). They'll just ask for your most recent ones.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
for the pwc application, what exactly is the "Achieved or anticipated overall academic result" as a percentage? Does the anticipated ATAR count?
sounds about right- i'm guessing it's either ur official estimate or what u realistically expect to achieve. it doesn't matter if it's not accurate though because if u don't make it into relevant course at uni, cadetships/traineeships are automatically rescinded.

HSC
sounds about right- i'm guessing it's either ur official estimate or what u realistically expect to achieve. it doesn't matter if it's not accurate though because if u don't make it into relevant course at uni, cadetships/traineeships are automatically rescinded.
Just checking, how far back should awards go? Should we only include recent ones or the ones throughout our entire high school life? (Not sure how much the HR needs/want to know)

Last edited:

Jinks

HSC
for the pwc application, what exactly is the "Achieved or anticipated overall academic result" as a percentage? Does the anticipated ATAR count?
I would say that is exactly what they are after ;)

Jinks

HSC
Just checking, how far back should awards go? Should we only include recent ones or the ones throughout our entire high school life? (Not sure how much the HR needs/want to know)
During my applications I listed awards from the last 2-3 years of high school, whatever you decide just make sure to order them how they specify and if it doesn't say I would do from most recent to the oldest.

crazy_paki123

HSC
for the PwC application how do i put in my uni expected academic results because weve only had a handful of tests and quizzes so far.

Examine

same
HSC
If we were trying to receive a front office position for the future in the finance industry would it be worth it to apply for a cadetship at UBS (excluding the possibility of finance co-op at this point) Or would it depend on which division you are allocated to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)