Cadetships 2013 thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Would this only be applicable for year 12 students? Are first or second year uni students able to be applicable?

Jinks

HSC
Would this only be applicable for year 12 students? Are first or second year uni students able to be applicable?
Both above answers are correct, some firms are happy to take year 12 and first year students whilst others only offer the positions to year 12 students.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Both above answers are correct, some firms are happy to take year 12 and first year students whilst others only offer the positions to year 12 students.
Alright, thanks

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
Note you would need very likely drop your double degree in order for a cadetship to work. IT and Business(I'm guessing one of the majors is accounting) are both relevant so either could be dropped.
I plan to work during the uni breaks :O

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
In my experience, mid-tiers pay better than big 4 at the junior levels (i.e. cadet through to grad). For example, back in my day, I was on $34k in my 2nd year as a cadet whereas my peers in Moore Stephens were on $38k. ($4k isn't much but as a % it is)

That being said, once you get to say, experienced associate or senior associate/accountant level it starts to grow in the big 4 favour (note: different firms have different emphasis on this- e.g. it's automatic promotion in some mid-tiers and some big4, but in others it's business-case/criteria-based). At manager level and higher, even amongst the big 4 there can be a more sizeable variance between the firms (about 20% difference).

I personally wouldn't be asking about pay at the ICAA night- could give off the wrong impression IMO.
Ahh that's very true actually, I was thinking more general questions not specifically the pay question, but it did sound like i was specifing it :S. Either way I reckon the pay is quite decent for the hours worked+being a uni student with few better options.

nerdasdasd

HSC
Uni Grad
You may be thinking of an internship then. Cadetships have you work whilst doing uni.(and also have you stop working for a year for you to catch up on your degree)
I will see what the future holds for me, but thanks for the info.

ellentat

HSC
In terms of both assurance and advisory (TAS):
Could anyone give me a brief outline as to what each field does and the internal/external opportunities please?
Would you recommend assurance of transaction services if I wanted to break into IB further down the track?
Also, am I allowed to give two options (assurance and TAS) when they ask me what service line I want to be in?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
If anybody is interested, when I applied for cadetships:

-I included year 11 reports and year 12 reports to date
-I included a portfolio of any awards/achievements from school. I had quite a few as we did merit assemblies once a term and you pretty much got an award if you tried in class.
-In terms of extra activities and volunteering, the only real things I had was Saturday netball and I did the red shield appeal twice. Red Shield appeal is actually quite a good one, you just spend one Sunday morning knocking on doors in a few streets and get a few hundred dollars. For your time you get some snacks and later a nice certificate from the Salvos thanking you :) We had a lot of people just turn us down or ignore the fact we were there, but then you got a couple of really kind people who gave us $50 even $100 and it made us feel really good about what we were doing.

I began working in a mid tier firm, and to be honest with you the pay isn't amazing. Could have earned quite a bit more working at Maccas. Then again, the experience is invaluable. Great for future jobs and surprising handy when it comes to accounting subjects at university :p
I ended up leaving after 6 months as I hated insolvency. They had no qualms (though I did note in my time they had a surprisingly high turnover of juniors...)

My current job is in a small firm (30ish people in two offices) and I work in tax now. My pay rate is much higher, and I have a lot more responsibility and interaction with clients than my previous job. Everybody is extremely kind and willing to sit down and explain stuff to you for the 20th time. I am only part time, but I have the option to go full time if I wish. (I work 3 days, and go to uni 2 days...no night classes whoo!)
I also enjoy tax a lot more, wayyyyy less stressful than insolvency.

Some tips I would say are:
- don't be sad if you don't get into a big 4 firm. You can always go there once you've got 4 years experience somewhere else and a shiny degree to help you out :p
- Don't only apply for big 4 either, there are many smaller firms which will give you an amazing working environment and more opportunities than bigger firms.
-If you don't get an offer early on, keep an eye out in Sept and after the HSC when positions free up. Sometimes firms will replace 2nd/3rd years with newbies, and people turn down offers if they get better ones or chance their minds.

And if anybody cares, my ATAR was 75.
I know, how the hell did I get a cadetship AFTER the HSC (yes, i applied in Nov/Dec for jobs)

They don't really care as long as you seem like a keen worker and are going to a uni which offers part time study.
And at my mid tier firm, there was a good 20-30 UWSers like me hanging around :p

My reports showed consistently good grades, but scaling was one of my major downfalls in the HSC. I did Standard/general math/ancient/modern/extension hist and biology.

Everywhere I had interviews didn't seem to mind, they all thought I didn't fantastic.

Grades might be super important in big 4, but most other places don't seem to mind.

Anyway, good luck applying to all!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
can u apply at time for PwC or is it like 1st in 1st served?
You'll have to rephrase that...not very clear. I'm guessing you mean can I apply at any time. The answer is no, applications have opened but it will close near the end of may. So you got until then to apply.

And firms never choose applicants on a first in first serve basis, that would go against the whole application process....

Last edited:
HSC
You'll have to rephrase that...not very clear. I'm guessing you mean can I apply at any time. The answer is no, applications have opened but it will close near the end of may. So you got until then to apply.

And firms never choose applicants on a first in first serve basis, that would go against the whole application process....
Don't they close on the 23rd of may or something for pwc?

Edit: 23rd June*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)