Cadetships 2013 thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_paki123

HSC
juust a quick one, is it easy to get a cadetship? like how many people would apply for it and how many would get selected as cadets?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
juust a quick one, is it easy to get a cadetship? like how many people would apply for it and how many would get selected as cadets?
If you limit yourself (Ie. I will only accept a Big 4 Audit position) then maybe.

But i'd say it's not too bad. If you apply for lots of positions your more than likely to get a few interviews, and then probably a job.

I found the first time I applied for ~10 to 15 jobs, and I had 4 interviews and 2 offers. Second time (ie. after I quit my first job), I only applied for 5 or so jobs and got 2 interviews and an offer where I am now (yay!). Second time around I was more fussy (I only looked in Parramatta/NW Sydney), where originally I was happy to go anywhere, ideally the city.

Personally, I don't think it was too hard. I didn't have the best marks and I'm rather quiet/nervous. I knew what I was talking about when I went to interviews though (Ie. I looked into what the company did and areas I'd like to work in, and I knew why I wanted to go into accounting).

In terms of how many people apply; a few hundred for big 4 spots and upper mid tier, and less as the size of the firm shrinks. I couldn't tell you how many get jobs and how many don't, because I don't know anybody thats applied for a job and not got one somewhere. Most people i've met who are doing accounting but don 't have a cadetship didn't know they existed!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
That's not what I meant! haha, I meant did your school organise for a whole group to go? Because that's not what I'm doing. I'm just going with two of my friends from school.
:p , ya I'm going with a few friends from school as well. Really though anyone who is going to the cadetship from my school is someone i know..so it's kind of both i guess..although the school isn't involved at all. And then there's also like 10 other people from other schools that i know are going.

crazy_paki123

HSC
If you limit yourself (Ie. I will only accept a Big 4 Audit position) then maybe.

But i'd say it's not too bad. If you apply for lots of positions your more than likely to get a few interviews, and then probably a job.

I found the first time I applied for ~10 to 15 jobs, and I had 4 interviews and 2 offers. Second time (ie. after I quit my first job), I only applied for 5 or so jobs and got 2 interviews and an offer where I am now (yay!). Second time around I was more fussy (I only looked in Parramatta/NW Sydney), where originally I was happy to go anywhere, ideally the city.

Personally, I don't think it was too hard. I didn't have the best marks and I'm rather quiet/nervous. I knew what I was talking about when I went to interviews though (Ie. I looked into what the company did and areas I'd like to work in, and I knew why I wanted to go into accounting).

In terms of how many people apply; a few hundred for big 4 spots and upper mid tier, and less as the size of the firm shrinks. I couldn't tell you how many get jobs and how many don't, because I don't know anybody thats applied for a job and not got one somewhere. Most people i've met who are doing accounting but don 't have a cadetship didn't know they existed!
thanks for the input, nd yeah ill apply for Grant Thornton, Pitcher Partners etc too. Do you know some really good mid firms? thanks again

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Off the top of my head other mid tiers that offer cadetships are RSM Bird Cameron, Moore Stephens, McGrathNicol, Hall Chadwick & PKF.

Not all may have audit positions, for example.
Majority of cadets at Hall Chadwick are Insolvency, and I believe RSM Bird Cameron mostly takes Business Services.
So keep that in mind when you apply.

I'd 1)Apply through their sites and 2)Keep and eye out of Seek for accounting positions (use key words like Cadet, Junior, School Leaver or Trainee).

Seek will give you more results in terms of smaller firms, but you do see some of the larger ones advertise on there too :)

Last edited:
HSC
Do you know anything about finance cadetships? Cause the only one I can find is Businesscadetships.com......

HSC
N/A
Off the top of my head other mid tiers that offer cadetships are RSM Bird Cameron, Moore Stephens, McGrathNicol, Hall Chadwick & PKF.

Not all may have audit positions, for example.
Majority of cadets at Hall Chadwick are Insolvency, and I believe RSM Bird Cameron mostly takes Business Services.
So keep that in mind when you apply.

I'd 1)Apply through their sites and 2)Keep and eye out of Seek for accounting positions (use key words like Cadet, Junior, School Leaver or Trainee).

Seek will give you more results in terms of smaller firms, but you do see some of the larger ones advertise on there too :)
AHHHHHHHHH. RSM BIRD CAMERON IS OPEN? I'm so applying.

Jinks

HSC
Just adding to what has already been said about the difficulty of actually getting a cadetship, if accounting is what you want to do the experience is going to be invaluable, for this reason apply at every single firm you can find!

and everyone from NSW is very lucky in Melbourne there aren't many mid-tiers that offer cadetships!

kenkap

HSC
do they have any cadetships for 1st year actuarial students??

HSC
Do you know anything about finance cadetships? Cause the only one I can find is Businesscadetships.com......

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
if you're talking about RSM Bird Cameron, its only open to high school leavers only, not first year uni students..........................................

Jinks

HSC
Some firms require you to work full-time the first 2 years rather than 2nd and 3rd, this means unfortunately they will most likely not accept first year uni students. In saying that it's still worth applying/talking to them to show some interest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)