Rape appeal for "cultural differences" (1 Viewer)

a c

HSC
Re: Rape! It's ok if you're a Muslim!

must be those same feminists who have conveniently missed every single rape in Norway and Swden in the past decade
There's been a fair amount of feminist criticism of one Aussie expats rape in Sweden.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Islam is the bigger problem in general. Yes, some people are Muslim and fine - typically those who convert to the faith or were raised less strictly.

We are seeing entire ghetto Islamic slums forming where if you are a woman you are looked at like a slut if you aren't wearing a hijab.

I don't have a problem with the religion itself. The problem is that the values of a large number of people who have grown up with the religion (and not converted to it later in life) and the environment it festers seem to hold values that are at odds with Australian values and values seemingly held by most Christians, atheists, Buddhists etc.

The Buddhist population in Australia is larger than the Islamic population. Although you don't hear about them (buddhists) on the news each night and the police don't have special taskforces set up to deal with them as the values practiced by most Buddhists are acceptable and non violent.

I know some people say that Islam is a non violent religion. I recognise that although it seems many people who practice Islam have violent and somewhat barbaric tendencies.
There are no Islamic ghettos in Australia afaik, maybe in the UK and France.

RishBonjour

HSC

Islam is the bigger problem in general. Yes, some people are Muslim and fine - typically those who convert to the faith or were raised less strictly.

We are seeing entire ghetto Islamic slums forming where if you are a woman you are looked at like a slut if you aren't wearing a hijab.

I don't have a problem with the religion itself. The problem is that the values of a large number of people who have grown up with the religion (and not converted to it later in life) and the environment it festers seem to hold values that are at odds with Australian values and values seemingly held by most Christians, atheists, Buddhists etc.

The Buddhist population in Australia is larger than the Islamic population. Although you don't hear about them (buddhists) on the news each night and the police don't have special taskforces set up to deal with them as the values practiced by most Buddhists are acceptable and non violent.

I know some people say that Islam is a non violent religion. I recognise that although it seems many people who practice Islam have violent and somewhat barbaric tendencies.

nice assumption, but what makes you say that?
Its the other way around, only extremists who aren't really considered muslims, because most of their ideologies stem from sources other than the Quran, make news headlines.
In regards to muslims in Australia being violent, instead of 'muslims' I think you mean the 'lebanese' community.

And rape, is no way accepted under any islamic cultures. I don't know what the fuck happens in Afghanistan, but rape is just not accepted.

Overall though, in Australia, doesn't matter what your religious or cultural values are, if they contradict our laws, it will not be accepted.

This man should be life-sentenced - atleast.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

uh no the whole point of my original post is that cultural values are consdiered
i know you're just trying to labour the point, but cultural values are not being 'considered'. there is no authority in the case law on as to whether cultural values or understandings have any bearing on standards of consent in sexual encounters, and whether they are therefore a partial or total defence to sexual assault and. thus the grounds for appeal are made. this is the process by which the common law evolves. however, in this circumstance i can guarantee that the trial decision will be upheld. the law on sexual assault is otherwise quite clear on these issues, and there are also immense public policy implications.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

In regards to muslims in Australia being violent, instead of 'muslims' I think you mean the 'lebanese' community.
Fighting ignorance with idiocy wow you're a fucking scholar aren't you
And rape, is no way accepted under any islamic cultures. I don't know what the fuck happens in Afghanistan, but rape is just not accepted.
"I have literally no idea what I am talking about but let me tell you"

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
nice assumption, but what makes you say that?
Its the other way around, only extremists who aren't really considered muslims, because most of their ideologies stem from sources other than the Quran, make news headlines.

Overall though, in Australia, doesn't matter what your religious or cultural values are, if they contradict our laws, it will not be accepted.

This man should be life-sentenced - atleast.
Most Lebanese are Muslim are they not? They are also the largest sub group of Muslims in the country.

I never said the Lebanese were more violent than other backgrounds, those were your words.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Depends on what you mean by most. There's a large Christian population in Lebanon as well

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Lebanon
The Christian percentage is higher than I would have guessed.

The point I have been trying to make is that religion and race are not the issues facing Australia, but culture.

I couldn't really care if someone is white, black or yellow or whether they are an atheist, Christian, Jewish or other religion etc. What concerns me is cultural issues.

I went to a (not my usual one) westfields last week and went into Cole's to do some food shopping. Probably 70% of the customers were race X and the rest were white/other. Now that in itself is okay. However, while shopping you can't help but listen to those around you. Well of the 70% of X race, I heard only one coupe conversing in English. Everyone else was speaking a different language. That just isn't on in my opinion and unless significant cultural issues like this are addressed somehow it is only going to get worse.

Tasteless

HSC

The point I have been trying to make is that religion and race are not the issues facing Australia, but culture.

I couldn't really care if someone is white, black or yellow or whether they are an atheist, Christian, Jewish or other religion etc. What concerns me is cultural issues.

I went to a (not my usual one) westfields last week and went into Cole's to do some food shopping. Probably 70% of the customers were race X and the rest were white/other. Now that in itself is okay. However, while shopping you can't help but listen to those around you. Well of the 70% of X race, I heard only one couple conversing in English. Everyone else was speaking a different language. That just isn't on in my opinion and unless significant cultural issues like this are addressed somehow it is only going to get worse.
i was with you until here
and then i was like wat

if they're not talking to you wtf does it matter?

edit: except maaaaaaybe if they were all speaking chinese or an equally disgusting sounding language (not rly though)

iBibah

HSC

I went to a (not my usual one) westfields last week and went into Cole's to do some food shopping. Probably 70% of the customers were race X and the rest were white/other. Now that in itself is okay. However, while shopping you can't help but listen to those around you. Well of the 70% of X race, I heard only one coupe conversing in English. Everyone else was speaking a different language. That just isn't on in my opinion and unless significant cultural issues like this are addressed somehow it is only going to get worse.
You believe the culture of the Lebanese is the same regardless of religion ?

minniethepooh

HSC
Uni Grad
The issue here is that this guy raped someone and therefore shouldn't actually be in society (for the general safety of women. It's not really relevant why he got let off, he shouldn't have been in the first place. BTW Islam does not advocate rape. It would be interesting to read up on other religions before making judgements based on the people that you meet. Religions tend to be ok until people start messing around with them. The comments about peaceful Buddhists just made me laugh. Heard about Burma lately?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The issue here is that this guy raped someone and therefore shouldn't actually be in society (for the general safety of women. It's not really relevant why he got let off, he shouldn't have been in the first place. BTW Islam does not advocate rape. It would be interesting to read up on other religions before making judgements based on the people that you meet. Religions tend to be ok until people start messing around with them. The comments about peaceful Buddhists just made me laugh. Heard about Burma lately?
Islam seems to have a disproportionate amount of troublemakers and criminals though.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
"religions tend to be ok until people start messing around with them"

How is that in any way a justification? Are you also a Communist?

hayabusaboston

HSC
i was with you until here
and then i was like wat

if they're not talking to you wtf does it matter?

edit: except maaaaaaybe if they were all speaking chinese or an equally disgusting sounding language (not rly though)
Chinese is not a disgusting language. Its a fucking hilarious language. Ideal for use in standup comedy hahaha.

minniethepooh

HSC
Uni Grad
Ha-ha I am not communist. But I have been feeling a little Marxist lately. I think you missed the point or maybe I didn't explain myself well. What I was trying to say was that its not the religion so much as the people who stuff it up. People who don't necessarily understand the religion manipulate it and pick and choose the stuff that fits their aims. For example they will pick up the concept of holy war and use it as justification for killing an innocent 8 yr old boy (Boston). So blame the people not the religion. Genocide is fundamentally wrong, I don't believe religion is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)