• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Business and/or engineering at UTS (1 Viewer)

NizDiz

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering whether the business degree at uts is any good, especially for employment and all. Like would majoring in finance in business degree be good, especially for banking type jobs. Also, is business/engineering at uts good?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm doing Engineering/Business at UTS and like it (most of the time). Anything in particular you want to know?

NizDiz

HSC
mainly the business degree, is it good?, and like majors (particularly finance), that good?, good for employment as well?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Idk, i've only done two business subjects. One of them was Accounting, I've heard students at other unis complaining about bad accounting lecturers and tutors with very thick accents etc. But the accounting lecturers i've had at UTS were very good and I actually enjoyed the subject.

NizDiz

HSC
wat r u planning on doing once graduating (if you've considered it at all). How is enginnering so far? How much do you need btw? 86 or even 81 (with bonus points)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Not 100% sure, i'm doing ICT (Software) for engineering but haven't picked a business major yet. I was going to do management but it sounds boring so I may do finance. I'm going to use the internships to help me get a feel of what I want to when graduating. Engineering is pretty good, but half of my subjects so far have been engineering core which gets boring. Getting more and more subjects directly related to my major now though.

The cut off in 2011 was 88.10, but the 5 subject bonus points aren't hard to get. Then there is the engineering questionaire which opens up towards the end of the year which has the possibility of giving you more bonus points. I'd say you'd have a good chance getting in with 81 if you completed that. There are more if you are eligible for EAS or at a disadvantaged school etc.

NizDiz

HSC
ok cool, is there a difference between a b business degree at uts and a b commerce degree at unsw, usyd, mq uni. etc. Like would studying a finance major in either one would different in any way(s)?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
There are differences between B Commerce between UNSW, Usyd and Macquarie - of course there will be some differences with a B Business. But the B Business at UTS is equivalent to the B Commerce at the other unis.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I do some business subjects too. Business isn't too bad at uts, lectures and tutorials are well structured.

Last edited:

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad
Job opportunities don't just come down to what university you go to, its also about grades. I'm confident that if you maintain a high C, D or a HD average; then employment should be favourable.
@Brent012 I'm also considering management for the business major, but was told that job prospects aren't looking great for it. Any insights into marketing, economics or human resource?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
No idea about any of that stuff, it wasn't going to be something I tried to get a job in. I just wanted it to complement the engineering degree, but I don't think it's something I would enjoy studying so not going to put myself through that lol.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Job opportunities don't just come down to what university you go to, its also about grades. I'm confident that if you maintain a high C, D or a HD average; then employment should be favourable.
@Brent012 I'm also considering management for the business major, but was told that job prospects aren't looking great for it. Any insights into marketing, economics or human resource?
I'm currently doing the Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Law at UTS and the handbook structure has us do the management subject in the first semester. I can tell you it's definitely the hardest D you will get (70% of the assessment marks comes down to 2 essays, one at 50% weighting, and you may think that essay writing is easy but the standards they mark at had my tutor give 2 D's out among his 2 management tutorials overall with about 30-40 in each class, and he said it was similar for most of the other tutors). I wouldn't suggest it as a major because like you said, it's employability is pretty drab. Do you know if you will end up doing the management subject in the near-future? Perhaps think about majors when you get a bit more experience with the subjects listed there. Don't want to end up picking a major you don't like hahaha

And like Brent012 was saying, the course structures for Business at uts are really well set out. Accounting, being absolutely notorious for having a ridiculously high fail rate and being difficult in general, I found to be really easy to learn just paying attention in lectures and doing the tutorial work as it was prescribed. And I'm even able to help out my friends at UNSW and USYD when they come to me for help with accounting. The same goes for economics. It's really well structured and simply doing the work in the tutorials each week and paying attention in the lecture gets you quite far. But I'm not sure about employability for economics majors because I never really intended on majoring in it so I haven't done the research. My friend has told me that the marketing subject is very enjoyable and quite easy to do well in.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently doing the Bachelor of Business and Bachelor of Law at UTS and the handbook structure has us do the management subject in the first semester. I can tell you it's definitely the hardest D you will get (70% of the assessment marks comes down to 2 essays, one at 50% weighting, and you may think that essay writing is easy but the standards they mark at had my tutor give 2 D's out among his 2 management tutorials overall with about 30-40 in each class, and he said it was similar for most of the other tutors). I wouldn't suggest it as a major because like you said, it's employability is pretty drab. Do you know if you will end up doing the management subject in the near-future? Perhaps think about majors when you get a bit more experience with the subjects listed there. Don't want to end up picking a major you don't like hahaha

And like Brent012 was saying, the course structures for Business at uts are really well set out. Accounting, being absolutely notorious for having a ridiculously high fail rate and being difficult in general, I found to be really easy to learn just paying attention in lectures and doing the tutorial work as it was prescribed. And I'm even able to help out my friends at UNSW and USYD when they come to me for help with accounting. The same goes for economics. It's really well structured and simply doing the work in the tutorials each week and paying attention in the lecture gets you quite far. But I'm not sure about employability for economics majors because I never really intended on majoring in it so I haven't done the research. My friend has told me that the marketing subject is very enjoyable and quite easy to do well in.
Overall, none of the business/commerce majors are difficult. It just comes down to your motivation & capacity to understand the concept instead of memorising/summarizing from lecture slides + textbook.

As for the high fail rate in Accounting, people just get lazy before final exam..

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Overall, none of the business/commerce majors are difficult. It just comes down to your motivation & capacity to understand the concept instead of memorising/summarizing from lecture slides + textbook.

As for the high fail rate in Accounting, people just get lazy before final exam..
Yep, this sums it up pretty much.

Edit: Oh, and when I said it was notorious for being "difficult" I meant that it had developed a reputation for being hard by word of mouth alone, not that the subject itself was really difficult. It's actually quite straightforward really hahaha.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)