• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hamlet and its 5 act structure (1 Viewer)

Nathan Spinks

HSC
With Hamlet and it's 5 Act Structure, we need to not only have an understanding of what each act represents, but how Hamlet is incorporated into this structure with respect to it's genre. Yes? Because as it stands I only have notes on what the acts represent. Some direction would be much appreciated.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
IMHO understanding the Hamlet character is the most important aspect of the critical study. The play's genre and 5 act structure are inter-related (it is structured that way because it is a revenge tragedy) but it will be difficult to write an essay of huge substance based on the fact that the play follows an exposition, anticipation, confrontation, delay, and finally resolution structure, and that Hamlet is important in each scene - after all, he is the protagonist so obviously he'd be important. It is more imperative to understand why Hamlet chooses to do the things he does, and how those choices impact on the structure/reflect the genre and how these choices also resonate with the audiences of time.

Remember the Hamlet question will always ask you what your opinion of the play is, so really it's up to you what you want to write in your essay. You can freely argue against the question - I did in my trials and external HSC and got 19 for both essays - but you need to be very informed and able to understand the perception of the question too. It is unlikely the structure of the play is going to play a vital part of the question; it will more likely ask about values and paradigms in the play that might resonate with you, or certain important aspects of the play and your opinion on them such as characters. But again, the question is open for dispute and it is up to you to decide how you are deciphering the question. For example, last year's question;

"An inherent tension between confrontation and resolution is revealed through characterisation in Shakespeare’s Hamlet.

To what extent does your interpretation of Hamlet align with this view?"

you can interpret in a number of ways. Some people in my grade thought that it was referring to the specifically Acts 3 and 5, while others like myself took the literal interpretation of the question purely asking about whether the confrontations in Hamlet as a play led to, and were, satisfactorily resolved. I hold the opinion that Hamlet has an irresolution but not through characterisation, rather through the inconsistencies and contradictions in Hamlet's choices, quotes, and actions as the play comes to the end, and this is what I argued in my essay, explicitly stating that characterisation was minimal to my understand of confrontation and resolution in each of my statement sentences and concluding paragraph sentences. This suggests boundaries forced onto Shakespeare from his audience, but I won't go into detail regarding that just now.

Reading critics' perspectives of Hamlet may be helpful too, particularly if you discuss Hamlet in detail. The BoS want insightful perceptions on the play rather than generic "here are 3 themes and that is why Hamlet is good" responses. If you want to talk about the structure of the play, there are some interesting observations by critics that Hamlet's language use changes as he interacts with specific characters and what this suggests about himself and the other characters, e.g. he talks in iambic pentameter when speaking to royalty, however, he speaks in prose in his monologues and when talking to friends he thinks are loyal. Does this suggest that when he speaks in iambic pentameter he is actively trying to conceal something from other characters, and also hint towards his own view of who is loyal or not? If that is the case, then certain lines can hold incredibly different meanings to what he is actually saying then.

Sorry for the ramble but I loved Hamlet and it is by far the most diverse English text to study :p Why year 12 students are stuck trying to decipher a text 400 years of genius critics are still trying to decipher is beyond me, but it's still remarkably fun to try.

tl;dr Hamlet is deep and you are better off finding one perception of the play you strongly agree with and arguing that regardless of the question. Don't focus too much on the structure of the play, sneak it in a line in each paragraph, but the bulk of your response needs to logically reflect how you came to your understanding.

Nathan Spinks

HSC
Thank you so very much. I'm a bit of a sheep when it comes to English as it's not exactly one of my strong points. Essentially my teacher discussed the fact that structure is a key element in writing an A ranged response and having a solid understanding into its working should be something that every student should do. I must thank you once again as this is the type of advice I have been looking for.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Thank you so very much. I'm a bit of a sheep when it comes to English as it's not exactly one of my strong points. Essentially my teacher discussed the fact that structure is a key element in writing an A ranged response and having a solid understanding into its working should be something that every student should do. I must thank you once again as this is the type of advice I have been looking for.
Not a problem at all! Your teacher is right, you do need to discuss the structure a little bit - but not to the extent where it is a major part of your essay, just how Hamlet's choices fit in with the structure and where it leads the play, how things should end, how the context of Shakespeare's time held expectations of how things should end, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)