• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How many words can you write in 40 minutes? (1 Viewer)

arumisan

HSC
my last english essay had around 800 (?) words and the markers were complaining about legibility :p. then again i did not know my stuff - did not read the book, and the movie was horrendous to watch, yet still got a decent mark. however if i knew what to write, 1000 words is achievable, 1100 if i memorised the essay, but that's really pushing it. and my hand would definitely be cramping by then.

i write around 350-450 per page (depending on my handwriting side at the time), so it kinda makes sense that i usually only get around 2.5 pages now....

Last edited:
HSC
Does any1 know how to write faster?

After finishing my mid english exam, the one thing that failed me, was my speed.
I've achived a pretty average mark in my essay though, but I would really like to get to a higher level.
I also seem to be having trouble writing stories to the specific topic we have studied such as authrority.

Well, yeh... If any1 could tell me any technique or ways to fix my problem it would be gr8!!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
in paper 2, with 3 essays to write, i go around 1100 for each essay.

for the one off, like our assessments pre-trials, they were ~1350 for 45 minutes.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i can write about 1 100 words in 40 minutes, yeah.
in 50 minutes that's 1 300 words and in 1 hour i can do about 1 600-ish?

seano77

Walk On
HSC
kingnothing999 said:

Well, yeh... If any1 could tell me any technique or ways to fix my problem it would be gr8!!
I do about 1000 in 40 minutes. If you want to write quicker keep practising your essays and handwriting. As you're writing the essay try and think about what point you are going to mention next, you'll find that if you already know what you're going to say in the next sentence/paragraph then you'll spend less time thinking and more time writing. Again- this skill comes from practise.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
yeah basically just fully know what you're talking about, and hand write a LOT to practice. a good pen also helps, and the way you hold it might lessen the pain a bit. i like pilot pens. or artline :)

munchiecrunchie

HSC
kingnothing999 said:

After finishing my mid english exam, the one thing that failed me, was my speed.
I've achived a pretty average mark in my essay though, but I would really like to get to a higher level.
I also seem to be having trouble writing stories to the specific topic we have studied such as authrority.

last year, my grade had this "pen weights" craze, where people stuck a weight at the end of their pen, the theory being, come exam time, you take it off and you write faster.

i dont actually know if its really that effective, but i guess its worth a try.

and if you're looking for a smooth pen, atlantis is the best around.

swathard

HSC
im in year 10 at a selective school and i recently had an english exam on john keats' poetry..

i wrote 1490 words in 40 minutes, and it was a pre-prepared essay which i adapted to the question.

my writing was legible, but definitely not my normal type of almost-perfect print handwriting. im getting it back toomrrow, so hopefully i blitzed it!! :D

L

lsam

swathard said:
im in year 10 at a selective school and i recently had an english exam on john keats' poetry..

i wrote 1490 words in 40 minutes, and it was a pre-prepared essay which i adapted to the question.

my writing was legible, but definitely not my normal type of almost-perfect print handwriting. im getting it back toomrrow, so hopefully i blitzed it!! :D
It's not about quantity but quality. Sorry, the quantity never makes up for the quality. That's the problem about being in Yr 10, they never know whether quantity is more important or quality is more important.

lionking1191

HSC
lsam said:
It's not about quantity but quality. Sorry, the quantity never makes up for the quality. That's the problem about being in Yr 10, they never know whether quantity is more important or quality is more important.
1500 in 40min is crazy. i could do 1200-300 in 40 but i try to have 15% less words than what i can write so i get time to adapt to q.

Sharkeh

HSC
munchiecrunchie said:
last year, my grade had this "pen weights" craze, where people stuck a weight at the end of their pen, the theory being, come exam time, you take it off and you write faster.

i dont actually know if its really that effective, but i guess its worth a try.

and if you're looking for a smooth pen, atlantis is the best around.
Yeh that works really well

Just get 2 rubbers and stickytape them to the end of your pen. As you get quicker, find something heavier

Masturbating also helps...

Last years did that, but there was one kid who forgot to take the weights off during the exam... Poor fool

Like seriously, just wank...

HSC
lsam said:
Oddly, you assume those who write a lot aren't writing quality. :rolleyes:

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
melonkitten said:
500-700 words max
Uhh 500-700?

Fair enough, but I would be worried that people who are aiming for the same marks as you are writing twice as much...

And quality doesn't suffer too much if you're preplanned it properly and adapt, getting a balance between quality & quantity works out fine for me.

I've probably posted here before, but you could do 1000-1400 depending on how well prepared and practised you are I think.

Handwriting unfortunately suffers, but the girl who is topping our school with 100% across 4 units of English so far has pretty bad handwriting -- so I'm not too worried that its a dominant factor in deciding marks.

bradman said:
Ha ha, a girl I work with said she didn't do the hsc because she wrote too slow. When I asked her wpm, she said less than 10 - not from memory though, but writing straight off a sheet
Oh dear...

Last edited:

swathard

HSC
im the one that posted and said i wrote basically 1500 words in 40 minutes..

i got my assessment back and i got 15/15. which shows that my writing had quality AND quantity.

hjp.

HSC
i just counted one of my modules papers from the trial.
just over 900 words.

the other two were probably between 800-900.
i need to write faster.

Currybear

HSC
I battle to reach 800.... im so fucked trials are in a week

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)