A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrassed? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

You know that place you always said you've never go but then your mum yelled at you and you ran and ran and ran without taking anything not even some food and then you somehow ended up there and you looked around and noone else was watching and you figured hey well how bad could it actually be and then you took a step forward braced yourself and found out it was actually so much worse than you imagined a foul stench stretching across the space and the tinge of decay stagnating around you until you threw up and started getting dizzy falling down into your own sick and just lying there as the minutes tick tock tick tock over and you just wish you'd faced your mother and stayed at home.

MQ is like that.
Wowi actually have no idea wat ur trying to say.
Can you plz explain

crazy_paki123

HSC
Re: A direct and harsh honest question to MQ/UTS students. DO you ever feel embarrass

Honestly is this even a question worth asking? Yes, USYD and UNSW are prestigous but seriously not everyones going to get a 94+ ATAR. Anyways USYD is not that flexible. But all uni's are great and provide equal opportunities even UWS to some extent. I would definitely take a student achieving a HD at UWS rather than u (failing at USYD). I tbh was a bit iffy joining Mac Uni at the start but seriously, prestige should be the least of your worries, The lecturers and tutors at Mac Uni so far have been great and there a re endless facilities and ways to improve marks at Mac Uni. In fact I initially just went to Mac Uni just to transfer to UNSW by years end but now I am seriously considering staying at Mac Uni. So to answer your question, I am not embarrased by going to MQU.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

With all those 95+s as if you aren't on like 85+ WAM hahaha

But good story nonetheless. I feel like UTS is completely underrated and it would take UNSW, USYD, all of Ivy League, and UMELB to come out and say "hey it's not 2nd rate" to change that attitude towards UTS. It's a uni with a lot of strengths, but if people treat it second rate then really it's their loss and it says a lot about their character.
I've had a fair few Eng subject marks in the 60s haha, particularly maths and physics where i've just scraped or missed out on credits.

UTS is a young university. Tbh I think it's great that it can be grouped along with Macquarie despite the fact that Mq is just about to hit 50 and UTS is celebrating its 25th birthday. There is so much development going on at UTS at the moment and so many students and money coming in at the moment which I think is a good thing. I doubt UTS will ever have an overall reputation comparable to UNSW or Usyd as it's neither research focussed (not in the ivory tower way =P) or traditional but I think any stigma will disappear. We are currently stagnating in terms of rankings (despite them being questionable), but once the campus master plan is complete there will likely be a shift in focus of where money is being spent.

I've heard when Macq was new it was the UWS of its time, it is now fairly well regarded. Even UNSW once had a reputation as a second tier institution. When my dad was about to start uni around 30 years ago his family was pretty concerned with prestige, he was sent to one of the big name private schools and his parents persuaded him to choose Sydney Uni over UNSW (and also influenced his choice in major, wasn't long before he dropped out)

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

MQ has a lot of strengths too, e.g. best actuary and psych in Australia, industry ties on campus (unconfirmed, just something I remember hearing in one of the orientation days but not seeing), and even partnerships with CPA (among others I can't recite from memory). In terms of Law they are fairly well known and with the cut-offs at 95+ you can safely assume there is a pretty high demand for them in terms of students. Just because they don't make huge global rankings doesn't mean they are something to be embarrassed about. If you look closely the criteria for ranking is based on things like "professors quoted" and stuff. You haven't even started at MQ yet, so you should go into it with a clearer conscience and try to enjoy your time there. HR knows prestige of uni doesn't mean an applicant is experienced. HR knows prestige of uni doesn't mean the applicant has the aptitude and capabilities necessary for their line of work. HR knows prestige of uni doesn't mean the applicant is loyal or diligent. HR knows prestige of uni doesn't mean the applicant is going to be a success or a failure.

EDIT: MQ was even ranked the #1 uni in Australia <50 years old. If anything you have something to be proud of at MQ.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

EDIT: MQ was even ranked the #1 uni in Australia <50 years old. If anything you have something to be proud of at MQ.
On the QS (50 under 50) list, yes. But the Times list (100 under 50) have it behind QUT. Some big differences between the two though. It's worth noting that Macquarie is 49 years old and will no longer be eligible for those lists next year haha. There are a few other universities in Australia that are about to reach 50 in the next few years too, Newcastle off the top of my head and a bunch of universities in other states.

Considering how few universities and population (relatively) we have in Australia, we have a good representation on the under 50 lists. Even though league tables use questionable measures I think it's a good sign.

Last edited:

sghguos

HSC
N/A

Is the rumor true that Macquarie law school is going broke?

I was at MQ the other day and the building looked like it was about to be demolished.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

For the record, at the place I work in I'm pretty sure people who came from Macquarie outnumber those from all the other unis. In our graduate group in particular, nearly half of them were from Macquarie (though they all did actuary).

Though you're probably gonna ignore this because you're looking for what you want to see...

Last edited:

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A

As you know MQ/UTS are b-class universities compared to USYD and UNSW and have a HUMUNGOUS + MASSIVE difference in terms of global university rank compared to the G08 universities.

Just a straight up question, have you ever feel embarrassed about going to your uni...

Ill be honest first, yes I have.

If you have a more complicated reason please tell.
i would be if i went there

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

To be direct and harsh - you're an idiot. You haven't even started at Macquarie yet. If you think you would have gotten a high ATAR in comparison to the rest of your cohort at Macquarie or people are going to be impressed when you mention you went to Usyd last semester... you're in for a rude shock.
Pretty much this.

yahyah123

HSC

Just because you go to USYD or UNSW doesn't guarantee you an automatic high paying job.

If you keep on putting MQ in a bad light, who knows, they may give you a warning? Which with your lack of resilience and blaming everybody for your failures would probably result in you failing there too.

Stop wasting your time on here and go study. So many people would kill to have been offered a place at both USYD and MQ. Be grateful you have been given a second chance.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

*close thread*

yahyah123

HSC

Hahaha nah please don't. SGHGUOUS needs to realise that honestly who gives a fuck about the uni you attend. If you're not a good student, no employer is going to want to even look at you. The university you attend does not impact on the important things in life- your health, your friends and your family.
Why don't you work at being a better student? Because blasting every uni on here is just ridiculous.
LOOK at YOURSELF before you post 1,000,000 threads on this forum with your annoying shit.

HSC

What's with people always saying "oohhh no one would take a USYD/UNSW student with credits over a UWS/UTS kids with HIGH DISTINCTIONS XDD"
That is a bad comparison, and it is unrealistic in the majority of students that go to both uni's.
If you are going to the top 2 unis in NSW meaning you got an atar in the 90's, the majority will be doing quite well. Also, i'm pretty sure that UNSW/USYD grade on a bellcurve, unlike the other universities, which give HD/D's to anyone who does good. Thus, it will be harder to do good in those Uni's and perhaps the kid getting HD's at UNSW would trully be the cream of the crop, unlike the UWS student who isn't in competing against anyone due to the lack of bellcurve grading.
A better and more realistic comparison would be two HD, perfect students from UWS and UNSW, applying for a job at an accounting firm,maybe PWC, Ernst and Young. Who would YOU pick, if you were an employer, and you wanted someone who could give you the best results possible? I would pick UNSW.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Also, i'm pretty sure that UNSW/USYD grade on a bellcurve, unlike the other universities, which give HD/D's to anyone who does good. Thus, it will be harder to do good in those Uni's and perhaps the kid getting HD's at UNSW would trully be the cream of the crop, unlike the UWS student who isn't in competing against anyone due to the lack of bellcurve grading.
As a HSC student you might think that way. But with the difficulty of university subjects and exams, scaling to a bell curve almost always results in grades going up in all but the very easiest subjects.

I also believe some of the Usyd faculties are trying to tone down the scaling or ditch the bell curve.

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC

What's with people always saying "oohhh no one would take a USYD/UNSW student with credits over a UWS/UTS kids with HIGH DISTINCTIONS XDD"
That is a bad comparison, and it is unrealistic in the majority of students that go to both uni's.
If you are going to the top 2 unis in NSW meaning you got an atar in the 90's, the majority will be doing quite well. Also, i'm pretty sure that UNSW/USYD grade on a bellcurve, unlike the other universities, which give HD/D's to anyone who does good. Thus, it will be harder to do good in those Uni's and perhaps the kid getting HD's at UNSW would trully be the cream of the crop, unlike the UWS student who isn't in competing against anyone due to the lack of bellcurve grading.
A better and more realistic comparison would be two HD, perfect students from UWS and UNSW, applying for a job at an accounting firm,maybe PWC, Ernst and Young. Who would YOU pick, if you were an employer, and you wanted someone who could give you the best results possible? I would pick UNSW.
That's not entirely true - at Notre Dame, the amount of people who can receive a D or HD is capped. From my observations, I havent seen anything to suggest that Notre Dame marks easier or harder than a Go8 school.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Aight guys enough with the hates on me

Im just asking a question and want you guys to sharr your opinion not bring me rep in this.
You sir are a lost cause, even a boutique finance/accounting/law firm wouldn't even consider your resume with those marks.

Thanks for sharing brent.

I am ignoring all the other idiots on this threads who are just postimg hates one cuz of my past.

Anyone else wanna share their opinion.
Really? How much time do you save by writing like that? You must be

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Even in that fairly unlikely scenario, that's what interviews are for. Even before the interviews it's increasingly common for there to be psychometric testing (think IQ and EQ test) on online application forms when you submit your resume and transcript.

When talking about "HD, perfect students", you might be interested to know that UNSW and Usyd use WAM which makes a HD average FAR more attainable than under a GPA system which every other uni in Sydney uses.

sghguos

HSC
N/A

So much hate.

Please close thread.

Safraaz

HSC
Uni Grad

No. I also received an offer for USYD pharmacy, as it was the 'next' thing after medicine. If I wanted, I could've applied for Commerce/I.T. at USYD and would've received an offer via the means of bonus points added to my Atar. Out of the 13 students that received an atar >80 at my school, 8/13 chose UTS, 2/13 chose USYD and 3/13 (including our dux chose UNSW). It's not like we couldn't get into USYD, if I wanted I could've gotten into courses requiring atars till 96.05 (bonus points included). Most of my friends chose UTS Engineering as it was better in terms of practicality. I chose UTS for the same reason, and because it has a better feel to it.
USYD is overrated.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)