USYD Transfer Confusion (1 Viewer)

HSC
I sat my HSC last year and am currently enrolled in UNSW B of Medical Science. After completing a semester I don't think that this course at UNSW is for me. I was interested in enrolling in USYD next year.
Due to various factors (mostly just not enjoying UNSW at the moment) my GPA is not good, and not I believe an adequate reflection of my work ethic, or standard.
Is it possible to apply for a different course at USYD purely based on my ATAR next year?
A friend at USYD told me that in order for USYD to consider only my ATAR I would've had to have completed less than 2 semesters at UNSW otherwise the university takes half GPA and half ATAR- would it be advisable for me then to just drop out of my second semester at UNSW now then apply for USYD next year? Since I feel like I'm just wasting money staying at UNSW for another semester.
My ATAR was 96.50
I've already emailed the University was just wondering if anyone here could help me.
Thanks

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Just do less than 48 credit points
Anything less and they won't count your GPA/WAM
But you won't get bonus points from HSC subjects.

Just drop one unit
Because you can always get credited for your other units
And they don't count your marks, as long as you pass.

What units are you doing?

Last edited:
HSC
right now I'm repeating MATH1041, and CHEM1011
and doing ANAT1521 and BIOS1101

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
You could have just chosen subjects in a degree you were interested in to increase your marks and credit transfer.

At the moment if all your subjects are medical sciences and you don't think you'll do well in it, best option is to really discontinue and re-apply for uac.
in myunsw theres a button to discontinue, just click that and you're set. Grad your transcript too.

Only your Atar is calculated if you did 1 semester.

Jinks

HSC
Not sure how exactly it works in NSW but couldn't you just apply through UAC again and not select the option saying you've done further study? It'll probably mean you wont be able to apply for any credit though.

This is just a suggestion, as I said not entirely sure if this is possible/allowed haha!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I have failed a couple of units in semester 1 thats the problem
You're in a good position to transfer to another uni then.
They count fails as not completed so you've already done less than 48 CP so you're all good.

right now I'm repeating MATH1041, and CHEM1011
and doing ANAT1521 and BIOS1101
Give me the actual names of all the units you will have completed by the end of the year and I'll tell you what you get credit for.

At the moment if all your subjects are medical sciences and you don't think you'll do well in it, best option is to really discontinue and re-apply for uac.
in myunsw theres a button to discontinue, just click that and you're set. Grad your transcript too.

Only your Atar is calculated if you did 1 semester.
DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY LIKE THIS!

Not sure how exactly it works in NSW but couldn't you just apply through UAC again and not select the option saying you've done further study? It'll probably mean you wont be able to apply for any credit though.

This is just a suggestion, as I said not entirely sure if this is possible/allowed haha!
Yeah… don't ever lie…

HSC
Well by the end of this semester I should have completed
CHEM1011: Atoms, Molecules and Energy
CHEM1021 (was meant to be doing this in summer school) Elements, Compounds and Life
MATH1041: Statistics for Life and Social Science
BABS1201: Molecules, Cells and Genes
BIOS1101: Evolutionary and Functional Biology

So just continue what I'm doing and apply for transfer through UAC next year? (By the way thanks so much)

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well by the end of this semester I should have completed
CHEM1011: Atoms, Molecules and Energy
CHEM1021 (was meant to be doing this in summer school) Elements, Compounds and Life
MATH1041: Statistics for Life and Social Science
BABS1201: Molecules, Cells and Genes
BIOS1101: Evolutionary and Functional Biology

So just continue what I'm doing and apply for transfer through UAC next year? (By the way thanks so much)
ask to get credited for CHEM1101, CHEM1102, MATH1015, BIOL1001, BIOL1002

So then you either have a semester of some sort of science degree
Or a semester of electives for another degree.

LetterNo1

HSC
Uni Grad
Riproot is right, I'm at usyd and transferring from what i have read is not so hard.

BUT you should seriously go and speak to the science faculty at usyd, or just email the usyd admissions center ask them all these questions just so you know for sure from them.

Good luck by the way

KidDang

HSC
Uni Grad
isn't the census date like end of august

How is dropping out of subjects you're gonna fail a waste of money

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Riproot is right, I'm at usyd and transferring from what i have read is not so hard.

BUT you should seriously go and speak to the science faculty at usyd, or just email the usyd admissions center ask them all these questions just so you know for sure from them.

Good luck by the way
Let's be real, the science faculty isn't that helpful.
Most faculties are busy and don't tell you what you want to know.
I've helped friends transfer in the past so like, should be all good.

isn't the census date like end of august

How is dropping out of subjects you're gonna fail a waste of money
My census date was March 31st so I dunno about the rest of you.

But yeah, if you can drop stuff without losing money then do that if you want ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)