Medical Science to Med (1 Viewer)

mexiican

HSC
At UWS can you do Medical Science and get into Med? (i think you can) And if so how many students do they take in and what requirements must be met?Cause I've heard so many thing i don't know what to believe -.- Thankyou!

Blackman 50 cent

HSC
basically ask your mum, she would be the only one giving you good advice, everyone is trying to compete with you, so if you ask them, then they won't give you a proper answer.

Yes, you can do science.

Each year they would about 204 students, so I heard at the UNSW open day that there med science takes about 15 Asian and indian students in to med each year. These 15 students are either asian or indian mostly. So I suppose it would be the same at UWS.

You must be indian because mostly indians and asians get into med. Go check out every med school, you will hardly see people from other backgrounds.

Edit: I am not racist but it is a fact that mostly indians and asians get into med. The reason behind this is they work there as off and have strict study habits with strict parents. Hence there parents forces them to study 24/7, mostly. Most of them say that they did no fucken study, can you believe this bullshit!

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
They still look at UMAT (lower than school leaver requirements usually) and marks in your course. You will still need to undertake the interview. Competition should be less but I'm not sure how many they consider for interviews (you will be competing with people in adv sci and med sci). If you fail to get into medicine you will end up with a science degree from an university that has really crap connections in the science community meaning you won't find a job. So it is pretty risky.

@Blackman. Yes medicine takes in smart students who also show certain skills in the interview. Think about it do you want a crap doctor to be treating you for a potentially life threatening condition. If you wanted to get into medicine then study your bum off or find another way. Also studying for medicine doesn't end at getting into medicine. You will need to study for the rest of your career until you retire that is how medicine works.

Last edited:

lawstu

HSC
They still look at UMAT (lower than school leaver requirements usually) and marks in your course. You will still need to undertake the interview. Competition should be less but I'm not sure how many they consider for interviews (you will be competing with people in adv sci and med sci). If you fail to get into medicine you will end up with a science degree from an university that has really crap connections in the science community meaning you won't find a job. So it is pretty risky.
That's nonsense.

There's things you can do with a science degree from UWS. It's simply a matter of whether you make that effort to get wherever you want, and where you see yourself, reasonably or otherwise, in relation to jobs.
@Blackman. Yes medicine takes in smart students who also show certain skills in the interview.
It's perfectly understandable to think that medical students are intellectual behemoths among all other beings. But medicine and smarts? No.

Science/research and smarts? Yes.

Undergraduate medicine, or at least the program at the University of New South Wales, seeks pretty bright sparks and smart cookies.

Graduate med is another affair, however. It takes a combination of things, and the selection criteria isn't entirely perfect. Med schools aren't wholly to blame, as some sources of problems are extrinsic.

I don't notice too many differences between med graduates across unis.

I do, however, note that grad students, particularly those from different fields and with experience, tend to be a little more, I guess, worldly. But I also note that grad students are a little more strong-minded or pig-headed. Some of them also come across as little, arrogant twits.

Did-med-as-an-undergrad seem to be more sure of themselves and generally confident in a good manner.
At UWS can you do Medical Science and get into Med? (i think you can) And if so how many students do they take in and what requirements must be met?Cause I've heard so many thing i don't know what to believe -.- Thankyou!
Yeah, you can. However, by your post, I don't think you should.

Do something you really give a shit about and could do. Do something you could do if med doesn't work out immediately, after your first attempt at applying for grad med schools, after many attempts, after a while, if you never get an offer to study med. I dunno, consider doing something you could do after you tire of working your ass off in hospitals or get bored of it all. What opens doors to things that you want or could want?

I'm begging you to keep an open mind. I've done my fair share of teaching undergraduate science students who were gunning for med. I can see which ones will get there, and which ones won't (that year or many years). It's just really, really frustrating.

You're young now but when realise that this isn't something you should take without due consideration, lightly. If you're gonna go for grad med, you're going to be older than now and graduated. Blink again, you're geriatric or dead. (Yes, I have excellent bedside manner.)

To be fair, though, don't stress or panic if you haven't a clue of what to do. Just don't limit yourself to medical science or science.

Last edited:

Medman

HSC
I never said getting a job is completely out of the question but someone with a science degree graduating from UWS has a much lower chance of getting a job in the field than someone from USYD. I have heard this many times from my friends who have undertaken a science degree. This being said people without honours has less than a 30% chance of getting a job from a science degree in the majority of scientific fields (This is from careers info. at USYD).

You'll be surprised at how many "scientists or researchers" are actually smart. Science and researchers are not smart unless they are at the top of their field. I did a science degree and the people who I was working alongside, you would be surprised at how slow some of them are. PHD's requires dedication it doesn't require you to exceptionally smart.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)