• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Not enough qualifications to get into uni? (2 Viewers)

sbh093

HSC
N/A
I left school in yr 10 n since then completed Cert.III, Cert.IV and Diploma of Business at Tafe.
Also recently finished Diploma of Marketing at a private college.
I'm trying to get into Usyd - Bachelor of Arts(Media and Communications), so I applied through UAC but I'm feeling so unsure of my qualifications, is it enough to get into University of Sydney or matter of fact, any universities like UNSW?
Please help!

SophxMusic

HSC
I'm not sure about Sydney, but I know a lot of Unis really value tafe qualifications.
As an accurate example, my boyfriend finished Year 12 but didn't want to go to uni so he was doing subjects like music, standard english, general maths, pdhpe etc..... He ended up with an ATAR of 50.5.
He then went and did his Cert III in Business and Cert IV in Business Administration, plus a little bit of work experience. He has already received an early round offer for study to a Bachelor of Business (Management) in 2014 from Charles Sturt, and when he contacted Uni of Newcastle they told him that a Cert IV gives him an equivalent ATAR of ~72. UoN has not begun making offers yet, but the ATAR for Business is around 60 so he's pretty much a shoe in.
I'm not sure about Sydney but I would assume that they value TAFE the same, as it shows a dedication to tertiary study and basically their criteria for acceptance is how likely a person is to finish the course. Often this is gauged by academic success (or ATAR) but if you have gone and done extra qualifications in order to work your way up to Uni, I can't see why USYD wouldn't value that as well.
FYI, I know you said that you want to study at USYD or UNSW, but I thought I'd just throw it out there, Charles Sturt has guaranteed entry for anyone who has completed a diploma at TAFE - not into all courses, but even if your course is excluded they still value TAFE very highly.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a few people who did TAFE then uni because there ATARs were substantially to low (ie. >60)

One got in after completing two different certificates to a course with a 90+ atar, and the other (who didn't do tafe) got in as a mature aged student (21+) by simply writing an essay. He didn't have any other education after school, so I was rather surprised he got in!

I think you have a good chance; You seem to have made a lot of effort and hopefully it will be rewarded! :)

coffee_

HSC
You have enough qualifications! USyd and UNSW both accept students who have completed diplomas but your marks would have to be VERY good. They also may give you exemptions for certain subjects.

But just incase you don't get into Usyd, other universities like UWS also have guaranteed entries to their degrees for Cert IV and diplomas, giving you 80 credit points, that's a whole year off uni. Here is a list of their VET courses they accept:

http://www.uws.edu.au/vetpathwaysan...ps_and_pathways/pathways_available/search_vet

If you don't really like UWS, you can always go for a year and then transfer to Usyd, provided that your marks are really good.

sbh093

HSC
N/A
I know a few people who did TAFE then uni because there ATARs were substantially to low (ie. >60)

One got in after completing two different certificates to a course with a 90+ atar, and the other (who didn't do tafe) got in as a mature aged student (21+) by simply writing an essay. He didn't have any other education after school, so I was rather surprised he got in!

I think you have a good chance; You seem to have made a lot of effort and hopefully it will be rewarded! :)
Ohh? okay.
Definitely fingers crossed for me! :)

sbh093

HSC
N/A
You have enough qualifications! USyd and UNSW both accept students who have completed diplomas but your marks would have to be VERY good. They also may give you exemptions for certain subjects.

But just incase you don't get into Usyd, other universities like UWS also have guaranteed entries to their degrees for Cert IV and diplomas, giving you 80 credit points, that's a whole year off uni. Here is a list of their VET courses they accept:

http://www.uws.edu.au/vetpathwaysan...ps_and_pathways/pathways_available/search_vet

If you don't really like UWS, you can always go for a year and then transfer to Usyd, provided that your marks are really good.
That doesn't give me much confidence as I only 'passed' all of my TAFE certificates haha...UWS is very tempting but it's so far away from me. I will just have to wait and see for Usyd :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)