General Thoughts: English Advanced Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I wrote third person for mod A too if that helps :p hooefully i can scrape a C range for it
I knew it was first person, but then only used first person once in conclusion with "my". I may lose a mark.

Usually the use of third person would only be one mark loss though. Can someone please verify this?

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Why people would write in first person is beyond me.

When it asks for 'your' you can just refer to the responder... I believe that your personal response can be revealed through your answer to the question

Makematics

HSC
We were told to NEVER use 1st person, even if the q asks "how has your understanding been..." so idk...

Web Addict

HSC
I wrote third person for mod A too if that helps :p hopefully i can scrape a C range for it
I just re-read the Module A question and I just realised that there was a 'your' in the question. My essay was entirely third-person. Would this really affect my mark?

By they way, won't this go against some teachers who firmly believe that you should never use first-person in an essay because it's supposed to be academic.

Lina3

HSC
Mod A (Wit/Donne): Fine, was always my weakest module, but I didn't really write in third person just talked about "audience appreciation is augmented through exploration of the inherent human passions of...." Hope that's fine :/
Mod B (Speeches): THEY DIDN'T SPECIFY A SPEECH!!! Question was confusing but I interpreted 'time and place' as 'context'.
Mod C (Caesar): Nice and generic :)

Makematics

HSC
I couldnt believe how generic mod C was... I wish they would cut down the rote learners for a change... If they make other subjects easier as well imma be mad

omr123

HSC
frenkenrunner: frankenstein: talked about how the our ambition for control of the environment, BR: talked about how scott shows this in BR too. Frankenstein2: talked about desire to know errything, BR: talked about how desire to supplant creators role gets Tyrell killed.

Module B harwood: talked about place and time as thematic devices to explore human mortality, with them signifying death/life and friendships/relationships transcend our mortality.

Module C: baussed it.

In short, I'm pretty sure I fucked up modules A and B, there go my dreams of band 6 :'(

RayRay

HSC
I couldnt believe how generic mod C was... I wish they would cut down the rote learners for a change... If they make other subjects easier as well imma be mad
Yea, that was the annoying thing, i wish it was a bit more precise. Oh well, I will be happy with my 18-19

Makematics

HSC
frenkenrunner: frankenstein: talked about how the our ambition for control of the environment, BR: talked about how scott shows this in BR too. Frankenstein2: talked about desire to know errything, BR: talked about how desire to supplant creators role gets Tyrell killed.

Module B harwood: talked about place and time as thematic devices to explore human mortality, with them signifying death/life and friendships/relationships transcend our mortality.

Module C: baussed it.

In short, I'm pretty sure I fucked up modules A and B, there go my dreams of band 6 :'(
Is dat u Omed?

hsclover

HSC
N/A
I wrote third person for mod A too if that helps :p hopefully i can scrape a C range for it
Whether writing in first or third, you'll be fine. Despite the question being written in first person, they aren't looking for answers in first person (although if you did this, it's also fine). They're just looking for an "effect" on the responder/you. So as long as you wrote how the audience's appreciation has been enhanced (and back it up) you'll be fine :) I'm sure they won't deduct marks for not using first person. I for one know countless teachers who would kill if anyone wrote in first person :p

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Yea, that was the annoying thing, i wish it was a bit more precise. Oh well, I will be happy with my 18-19
Tell that to The Justice Game. I probably scraped off max. 17. Forgot a quote. Frankie and Bladie probably 18 or 19. Hamlet: anywhere between 14-18

Mitsunami

HSC
Really happy with the questions.
Module A: Frankenrunner. Perfectly suited with what I studied on.
Module B: Hamlet. No problems with time and place here.
Module C: Smithsonian Website. Real happy with the question, was a generic and easy one.

All in all personally felt I'm satisfied with my work.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Mod C is always generic.

I hated how the question asked for manipulation though.... it was one of my themes.... confusing much

ncoul

HSC
Mod A (P&P and LTA) - 19/20
Mod B (Helmet) - 17/20
Mod C (Wag the Dog) - 19/20

Why were the A & C questions so simple? B wasn't as bad as everyone's saying it was; I discussed dramatic structure and their progression of the play's themes, the antithetical and verisimilar elements embedded in the setting of Denmark and a little to do with the resonance of context for Elizabethan audiences. However, i had to mould corruption into my three themes - religion, truth, existentialism - it will be clear that i memorized and will let me down a little.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
I personally would just like to say a massive GG to all those who went in with memorized responses for Hamlet.

LOL
Why? That question was easy as fuck. Time and place are the fundamentals of textual integrity (which everyone should have in their essay) and corruption is a pretty significant theme that I doubt anyone ignored, which could've been drawn out from a lot of other themes like appearance vs reality, deception, morality, etc too. I highly doubt anyone with memorised responses would've found it too difficult, unless they really over analysed the question.

Edit: Mod C is a flawed syllabus in that you cannot get a question that is not generic because the Module itself is too shallow for anything deep. Unfortunately, the question will be the same each year.

Why people would write in first person is beyond me.

When it asks for 'your' you can just refer to the responder... I believe that your personal response can be revealed through your answer to the question
Ironically, legitimate essay writing relies on first person as it is supposed to be a personal, persuasive medium. A common misconception is that proper essay formalities neglects first person, but traditional essay writing begs to differ. HSC English forgets this except in Module B.

Last edited:

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Should really stop checking this thread so I can't reinforce how bad I feel for English atm....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)